Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Anarchy

To Charge Rental Or Not To?

From other posts, I do notice that many users are advising buyer to impose rental charges to the seller if they don't move out after the 2nd appointment.

Correct me if I'm wrong in the process.

Case A: Both buyer and seller must agreed and signed a hand written letter stating that seller needs an extension of 1 or 2 months stay as they need to find a place, renovate and move in before handing the keys to you. Because you have the letter signed, during the first appointment, show it to the HDB officer and drag the 2nd appointment to the 12th week after 1st appointment.

Case B: Both buyer and seller or agent cock up, never brief both parties that there is a chance that buyer will need longer stay. All happen after 2nd appointment that buyer requests for extension of stay for 1-2mths. HDB is not aware and is a personal arrangement. Now buyer start to impose rental fee.

Personally, i feel that if I'm selling to you my flat, I must definitely have a roof on top of me before I release the house to you. Why will I want to purposely drag passing the keys to you? As buyer, I feel sometime we need to be more understanding, it may delayed our renovation and move in date etc etc but end of the day, we just want to feel happy buying the flat. You happy selling, I'm happy buying it. So why want to earn money from the buyers? Please put COV aside as that is the agreed COV that you as a buyer willing to pay.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
From other posts, I do notice that many users are advising buyer to impose rental charges to the seller if they don't move out after the 2nd appointment.

Case A: Both buyer and seller must agreed and signed a hand written letter stating that seller needs an extension of 1 or 2 months stay as they need to find a place, renovate and move in before handing the keys to you. Because you have the letter signed, during the first appointment, show it to the HDB officer and drag the 2nd appointment to the 12th week after 1st appointment.

Case B: Both buyer and seller or agent cock up, never brief both parties that there is a chance that buyer will need longer stay. All happen after 2nd appointment that buyer requests for extension of stay for 1-2mths. HDB is not aware and is a personal arrangement. Now buyer start to impose rental fee.

Personally, i feel that if I'm selling to you my flat, I must definitely have a roof on top of me before I release the house to you. Why will I want to purposely drag passing the keys to you? As buyer, I feel sometime we need to be more understanding, it may delayed our renovation and move in date etc etc but end of the day, we just want to feel happy buying the flat. You happy selling, I'm happy buying it. So why want to earn money from the buyers? Please put COV aside as that is the agreed COV that you as a buyer willing to pay.

As buyer, I'm just as urgent to move in after 2nd appointment, so if seller cannot move out. Buyer will have to find temporary place to rent. The question is seller willing to compensate the rent, house moving cost other cost etc?

I'm not too sure, am I getting your message correct?

You mean buyer should not charge seller rental if seller extend their stay 1-2 mth after the 2nd appointment.

Right after 2nd appointment,

1. buyer is subjected to mthly loan payment. Buyer is paying the loan installment but cannot stay and had to let the ex-seller stay Free.

Fair for the buyer?

2. Buyer has start paying Town council SC while the ex-seller is staying there for Free.

Fair for the buyer?

3. Buyer start paying property tax while the ex-seller is staying there for Free.

Fair for the buyer?

May be is just 1-2 mth time.

But 1 mth, the buyer need to pay loan + SC + Property tax.

How much is this.

I believe, smelly smelly can easy go up to 1k.

Buyer buy a flat b'coz they also need a place to stay too.

If they are presently paying rental on their rental house.

They had to pay both side.

If you are buyer, how you feel.

Edited by therat

Sorry if my message isn't that clear. What I'm referring to is before exercising of OTP, both seller and buyer should be make aware of the situation. Seller will need more time, say 2 mths more.

During the 1st appt, both seller and buyer will then inform the HDB officer that the 2nd appt will be dragged till a max of 16th week after the 1st appt. Whatever the situation is, the seller have to move out on the eve of 2nd appt date.

As buyer, we shouldnt be allowing them to stay after we have received the keys. SC, electricity, instalment etc etc is under our costs.

But why are some buyer and seller agreed to the date of the 2nd appt and later find out that they cant move out in time and charge rental?

b'coz buyer don't have a choice.

Like for my case.

Before we exercise the OTP, we ask the agent(A), has the seller find a place(P1). Agent(A) say.. seller is looking , very fast one. Then say the most extend 1 mth b'coz need to reno.

Before 1st appointment, agent(A) say 2 mth b'coz the other agent(Agent for P1) submit their resale application late. So need 2 mth.

After we finish the 1st appointment, come out and meet them. agent (A) say need 3 mth.

Do we had a choice to say NO.

Exercise OTP @ Sept 2009

1st appointment @ Jan 2010

2nd appointment @ Feb 2010

By the time, they move out will be May 2010

Then reno, make it 1 mth, June 2010

Take 9 mths.

worst than I buy private property.

CaseA: Seller has right to extend to a Maximum of 8wk from 1st appt, see clause 12 of OTP. HDB reserves the right to extend 2nd appt beyond 8wk, so far, anybody here encounter this? I got exactly 8wk because one party lost the title deed and dared to appear in 1st appt. This party took tile to advertise in newspapers & made vow, after 1st appt.

To sell a house, the seller must know what he is doing(want to buy another? rent, bought?....) and must ask agent(unless he represents himself)about the timing, or the agent should try to understand seller's situations & advise the seller the timing.

My real encounter: In July 2009, I put the house on sale and look for another(already done my homework & zoomed down to a particular few blks only). My selling agent informed me of the "super long" 1st appt, I checked online, true. Pull a brake to sell, actively look for another, finally found one on 30/8/2010. Paid booking fee & exercise OTP the same day, knowing that the seller was looking for a 3 rm, but never informed me of contra case, only knowing this after several hurrying seller the status of seller's buying.

I threathen to cancel the deal, and to send in letter to her company upon her misrepresentation, if seller could not find house within certain time. 15 days after I signed OTP, they found one (contra)and submitted resale application. After knowing the 1st appt date, I caculated 8wk + reno 1mon(major reno)+ 2 wk buffer, I safely knew the "last day" I should move out. Contacted ID, made drawing, quotation....Got "stuck" at 1st appt - the seller to the seller "lost" the title deed......See my 1st post in this forum.

Selling house started again, told potential buyers that I could only move out this "last day" - no rental imposed, take it or leave it. Finally sold in Sept 2009, buyer could wait.

Correct, selling/buying should be happy happy, knowing what's happening is one thing, planning is another, willing to "suffer" is the third. Seemed now, sellers take for granted that they can sell first then buy later at their owning timing without realising the "super long" duration wait for the 1st appt, and the worst is at the "expense" of the buyer.

My appeal to sellers: buy first sell later, so both parties can be happy happy.

Edited by bepgof

If seller can't move out after 2nd appt - this is their fault/mistake. They MUST pay, not at expense of buyer.

Looking at present's situation, seller cannot just sell (sign OTP) & take their time to buy another, time is not allowed( unless contra and no reno, or ther other seller can hand over the key before 2nd appt, for reno). If seller is smart, their should ask for maximum of 8wk after 1st appt.

Edited by bepgof

For my case, my seller requested for 6 wk.

May be they're worry the lift upgrading bill will bill to them. So , want to complete as fast as possible.