Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
froggy

Custom Made Vs Ready Made Tv Console

Which is better for tv console?

Ready made from furniture shop or custom made?

Went to a few furniture shops today, and found that price of ready made is about the same as custom made one. However, I find the design and finishing of ready-made ones to be nicer, while custom-made ones are usually quite straight forward - suspended 3 or 4 comparments, laminate finishing.

thinking hard now if I should go for those from the shops. Any comments? will there be a problem with "connecting" wires from feature wall to the console if one is not done by the carpenter?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Which is better for tv console?

Ready made from furniture shop or custom made?

Went to a few furniture shops today, and found that price of ready made is about the same as custom made one. However, I find the design and finishing of ready-made ones to be nicer, while custom-made ones are usually quite straight forward - suspended 3 or 4 comparments, laminate finishing.

thinking hard now if I should go for those from the shops. Any comments? will there be a problem with "connecting" wires from feature wall to the console if one is not done by the carpenter?

Consider:

1. Money

2. Color/style matching

3. Durability

-Suspended not so good - always crack & leave a gap between wall & console, put putty/silicon solve temporary - but look "nice"

- Always having color matching problem for those ready-made.

- Just ask the ID/carpenter to make one similar to the ready-made.

- I sketch a drawing & ask furniture maker to customise a full-teak 8-ft TV console, put together with TV feature wall. I get the color sample and pass to ID whose "match" the color for the feature wall.

Edited by bepgof

Consider:

1. Money

2. Color/style matching

3. Durability

-Suspended not so good - always crack & leave a gap between wall & console, put putty/silicon solve temporary - but look "nice"

- Always having color matching problem for those ready-made.

- Just ask the ID/carpenter to make one similar to the ready-made.

- I sketch a drawing & ask furniture maker to customise a full-teak 8-ft TV console, put together with TV feature wall. I get the color sample and pass to ID whose "match" the color for the feature wall.

Hi Bepgof

correct me if I am wrong, but I think carpenter cannot make the kind of finishing we find in ready-made. Somehow it's smoother looking. Even the ABS trim still can see join lines, but some of these at the shops, totally like seamless. Anyway, also cannot ABS trim the whole console right?

The cracking of suspended items is one of my concern too. Nowadays, so many things are suspended - from tv console, toilet cabinet (but this one ok else wet and base will rot), worktable, even kitchen cabinets and beds!

If cost is not an issue, i would always consider a customised TV console. I can customise it to the space i have and specify the shelving and arrangement to suit my internal space planning. Also, off the rack TV consoles cant maximise all the space you have especially if you are doing a TV cum storage cabinet.

MONEY ... MONEY... MONEY....

Custom, can make for you the one and only in the world ......

Ready made, mass production, cheaper but limited choice from the range :)

hmm ... interesting .. seems that most of you think that custom made cost more than ready-made? I also think should be that way. But at the shop, I saw nice consoles at around $1000, and that's the same price I am quoted for customised one. Unless my quote is too high? $1k for a 7" suspended tv console?

hmm ... interesting .. seems that most of you think that custom made cost more than ready-made? I also think should be that way. But at the shop, I saw nice consoles at around $1000, and that's the same price I am quoted for customised one. Unless my quote is too high? $1k for a 7" suspended tv console?

Actually, I like ready-made also, but the "color" and exact size to fit in hesitate me. For example, Ikea's book shelfs look super nice, sigh ! the measurement & color..... not "blend in" with my existing.

How to buy ready-made kitchen cabinet/wardrobe/TV console ?? I even customised a "stone bench" covered with granite, placed outside main door. Granite same as my flooring ! Look very "compatible", haha.

Edited by bepgof

Actually, I like ready-made also, but the "color" and exact size to fit in hesitate me. For example, Ikea's book shelfs look super nice, sigh ! the measurement & color..... not "blend in" with my existing.

How to buy ready-made kitchen cabinet/wardrobe/TV console ?? I even customised a "stone bench" covered with granite, placed outside main door. Granite same as my flooring ! Look very "compatible", haha.

wow, you place outside the main door - not afraid that it may be stolen? the bench for putting on shoes?

ready made kitchen cabinet and wardrobe a bit hard lah, but tv console possible, as long as the right length and colour scheme matches can already. Was at IFC this afternoon, and saw more consoles going for between 500+ to 1000+

hi

I would prefer custom made, as I can specify the design, exact size & dimension I prefer for all my stuff like hifi, dvd player, scv, htpc plus air ventilation design. I gave all the dimension to my ID, he will ensure that the conceal compartment can store them.

anyway, do agree that is going to be more expensive. I guess this is like buying cloth from off the shelve or custom made by tailor :P

the different is u get to see it 1st for ready made & custom made u see it later after u pay. Just have make sure your tailor has good workmanship :)

Edited by dbkungfu

actually buying off the shelves is better in terms nicer n especially the trimming edges. depends if u got feature wall anot, if u have feature wall best is to custom made, cos ready made is not able to conceal ur wires nicely. customized one always have the problem abt the joints n edges. ready made is by big factory wif big machine, ofcos nicer joints, but custom made is by hands, ofcos not so nice. haha..very much up to u....

actually buying off the shelves is better in terms nicer n especially the trimming edges. depends if u got feature wall anot, if u have feature wall best is to custom made, cos ready made is not able to conceal ur wires nicely. customized one always have the problem abt the joints n edges. ready made is by big factory wif big machine, ofcos nicer joints, but custom made is by hands, ofcos not so nice. haha..very much up to u....

hi Rossng

that's exactly what I felt too - that ready made ones give nicer finishing. Is it true that if get ready made tv console and custom made feature wall, wires will not be concealed? Because I believe this is the whole purpose of a feature wall right? To conceal wires?

Actually for custom made console and wall, how does the wire run from one to the other? Are these 2 things one piece? I also wonder if it will be difficult if need to do somethng to the wire connection if everything is behind feature wall?

hi Rossng

that's exactly what I felt too - that ready made ones give nicer finishing. Is it true that if get ready made tv console and custom made feature wall, wires will not be concealed? Because I believe this is the whole purpose of a feature wall right? To conceal wires?

Actually for custom made console and wall, how does the wire run from one to the other? Are these 2 things one piece? I also wonder if it will be difficult if need to do somethng to the wire connection if everything is behind feature wall?

Feature Wall, is like a backdrop for a stage. It give theme and feature to your wall.

Wire concealment is the added function it perform.

Wire concealment design varies from the box with hinge door type to sliding panel...etc.

Must be easy to access and upgrade, big enough to fit in all fittings.

Ready made- you buy what you see

Custom- You just hope for the best, may not turn out what you want.

Hi froggy .........

if i were u, i would go for a customsied one since you mentioned that pricing is about the same ....... But i will got one step further to build a feature wall as well to hide the cables (extra $$).

and also, customsied one allows you to really perfect it using the right diemensions / colours / materials / texture to complement your living room conditions.

consider a simple, clean, suspended tv console with a sleek wall feature .......

Hi froggy .........

if i were u, i would go for a customsied one since you mentioned that pricing is about the same ....... But i will got one step further to build a feature wall as well to hide the cables (extra $$).

and also, customsied one allows you to really perfect it using the right diemensions / colours / materials / texture to complement your living room conditions.

consider a simple, clean, suspended tv console with a sleek wall feature .......

Usually standard made ones are average in quality and also I find e tracks like flimsy. custom ones can actually choose the design, laminate n of course better supported tracks.