Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fromnuaa

anyone install Ethernet cable and port at home?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I recommend to running Cat 5e cable and installing a new Ethernet jack. A “wired” network connection was needed at this location due to a weak WiFi (wireless) LAN signal.

Verifying 100mbps LAN Data Rate for the New Ethernet Jack.

Fire Fold

You may also consider using Powerline networking if the WiFi signal is low. Powerline uses electrical plugs to communicate so you won't have to lay Ethernet cable; but Ethernet communication is faster than Powerline, at least for now.

I have also thought of running CAT6 through all the rooms in my hse. However, my electrician advised that concealing the cables will be quite challenging. he advised that he will be unable to do alot of hacking, hence, will need to put up those ugly trunkings.

BTW, my hse is those newer HDB where they have concealed wirings.

My suggestion is why not you still go wireless-N, but deploy multiple access points (AP) throughout the hse. I think the cost of purchasing multiple APs will be roughly the same as deploying CAT6 (depending on how many APs you purchase) and you can solve the headache of how to conceal the wirings.

Just go around the house and see which part of the house's signal is weak, the deploy a new AP there. adjust here and there and woah la. . you get good reception in every part of the house.

Edited by hawthorne

I am moving into a new condo unit which already has network cabling to all the rooms, with a patch panel in the storeroom. However, I need to move some of the wall points in the rooms to new locations where my PC/device will actually be. My electrician seems very unclear about how he will extend the cables, and I am worried that he might treat the CAT5 cable like any other power point, and just try to twist the wires together, or use a poor connector/cable. Does anyone have any instructions/ website I can pass on to my electrician to do this job properly? I tried searching, but could not find anything suitable.

I am asking mine to install. $90 per point

Hi,

Would you recommend your contractor for installing the network points? If so, could you PM me with name and contact number?

Thanks

recently saw that we can use power point to act as the lan pt with some devices.

Guys, just anted to share, my experience with powerline

Superb!!

I bought the Linksys

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/PLK300

but there are so many in the market to choose from

TP Link, Aztech etc

If you need LAN points installed do not mind the casing , (if you want to hack walls to concela...HDB cannot, if you live in a condo can...but expensive!!)

of course LAN is the best n/work you can get BUT if you want to keep costs down & like a neat POWERLINE!!

I went with the Linksys despite the extra costs because

1. Promo in last PC show 85mbps @ $99 (usual $169)...also sicne Linksys did not bring their 200Mbps model to Singapore ...no choice ;-)

2. Aztech was 200mbps @ $55 but i only saw this ;last day of the fair...they didn't really advertise...timing

3. Linksys had the one powerline adapter with 4 ports, allowed me to connect 4 diff equipt in my isolated room..really plug & play!! ..you need to connect the Aztech to soem sort of switch to expand the connectivity in the isolated room

My experience with powerline

- Avg speeds connecting to network -> 60-70 Mbps!..faster than my current wireless (54mbps)

- impact on electrical equipment - NIL so far.(or i cannot notice)...i used the vacuum, kitchen appliance, [plugged in laptops, LCD TV etc...bandwidth is ok!!

Hints

1. Plug into the same circuit whenever possible

I have a circuit diagram of how the wall plugs in my home were connected. I kept the powerline within the same circuit works GREAT!!..i know this one can be hard for some to get their hands on...maybe you can try trial & error....just try plugging it into sockets & test speed

2. Secured network possible

-just read & install the installer, most solutions if not all have security!!

3. Read reviews & cus experience to see if this solution fits your home...here are some

http://reviews.cnet.com/bridges/linksys-po...also#cnetReview

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=643

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2007/aztech/hom...-Adaptor/g1.htm

my take on powerline is that currently may feel sufficient for the internet need but once opennet (our local optic fibre network service is up & running), then powerline not enuff liao

Reason is powerline throughput cant even reach 100Mbps (i know some advertise saying can get 200Mbps) but trust me..cant achieve that kind of speed. Optic fibre is 1Gbps and if u subscribe to this optic fibre service in future, ur powerline will become the bottom neck so do think carefully which direction u wanna go

my recommendation is for new house doing reno, lay cat5e or cat6 cable is the way to go cos both type of cable can reach 1Gbps and its will be futureproof

secondly for powerline iif u using powerstrip w surge protector then ur powerline may not work.

thirdly for houses built in the 2000s powerline shld work but those old houses which built 15yrs ago or more, it may not work cos i encounter a few frens living in tampines & pasir ris cant use powerline as the devices cant detect each other

Some pple here talk abt wireless N for home network. Well wireless no matter N or G or B always got 1 big limitation. Signal Strength. The signal strength depend on a few factors like number of walls, number of signal interference etc. For wireless N, its new so signal interference from ur neighbours may be minimal but in 2-3yrs time hard to say when all u can find is wireless N router in the mkt.

Not to mention wireless are prone to hacking. If one is careless and fail to secure ur wireless properly, it can easily invite intrusion and god know what the hacker will do to ur network

So all in all...wired connection by laying cat5e or cat6 cable is still the best and recommended way for home network

all re juz my opinions as an IT engineer myself :P

my take on powerline is that currently may feel sufficient for the internet need but once opennet (our local optic fibre network service is up & running), then powerline not enuff liao

Reason is powerline throughput cant even reach 100Mbps (i know some advertise saying can get 200Mbps) but trust me..cant achieve that kind of speed. Optic fibre is 1Gbps and if u subscribe to this optic fibre service in future, ur powerline will become the bottom neck so do think carefully which direction u wanna go

my recommendation is for new house doing reno, lay cat5e or cat6 cable is the way to go cos both type of cable can reach 1Gbps and its will be futureproof

secondly for powerline iif u using powerstrip w surge protector then ur powerline may not work.

thirdly for houses built in the 2000s powerline shld work but those old houses which built 15yrs ago or more, it may not work cos i encounter a few frens living in tampines & pasir ris cant use powerline as the devices cant detect each other

Some pple here talk abt wireless N for home network. Well wireless no matter N or G or B always got 1 big limitation. Signal Strength. The signal strength depend on a few factors like number of walls, number of signal interference etc. For wireless N, its new so signal interference from ur neighbours may be minimal but in 2-3yrs time hard to say when all u can find is wireless N router in the mkt.

Not to mention wireless are prone to hacking. If one is careless and fail to secure ur wireless properly, it can easily invite intrusion and god know what the hacker will do to ur network

So all in all...wired connection by laying cat5e or cat6 cable is still the best and recommended way for home network

all re juz my opinions as an IT engineer myself :P

can let us newbies know how to lay a wired hardline in our house?

tools to buy,how to start and how to terminate etc? i would like to diy myself..

can let us newbies know how to lay a wired hardline in our house?

tools to buy,how to start and how to terminate etc? i would like to diy myself..

wah :D

you want to DIY?

you need to buy the cable, trunking, nails, wire stripper, RJ45 jacks.

as for the colour code, just google it :P