Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fromnuaa

anyone install Ethernet cable and port at home?

The IT show starts today. You can buy the Aztech Homeplugs HL108 and use the typical electrical wall sockets to connect up to speeds of 200 Mbps without running Cat 5e cables all over.

Think this is a very neat and elegant solution. I am planning to use this method with wireless for my place.

Wow, this is a good idea. Went to aztech website and found this diagram.

diahl109rnsj6.gif

Assuming I want to buy the homeplug adaptor for use in my living rm to connect to my tv, do i need to buy the aztech router also (so that the router can "talk" to the adaptor)? Does the adaptor work with other router also? Currently using linksys router.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

this homeplug thing been around for ages and didnt take off cos there is one important rule on data transfer.

electricity corrupts data.

this homeplug thing been around for ages and didnt take off cos there is one important rule on data transfer.

electricity corrupts data.

Really? I was also considering this but thought maybe now they may have improved it.

Laying the cable around the house is the ideal case but finding someone who know how to do it properly is difficult, or overpriced. I found a reliable networking guy but he will not be able to conceal the cable (they are strictly networking guy only) as they do not know how. I ask some electrician, but they do not know how to terminate the faceplate. So unless I get them to work together, but they will be paying 2 parties. *sigh*

I believe you can use the homeplug with any brand of router, just got to configure it.

As per the post above, there may be some interference when transmitting data through the electrical wall socket but I guess the theoretical speeds should still be higher than what is currently possible with wireless G.

I think a combination of both wireless and the homeplug solution will provide sufficient coverage for most homes.

Assuming I want to buy the homeplug adaptor for use in my living rm to connect to my tv, do i need to buy the aztech router also (so that the router can "talk" to the adaptor)? Does the adaptor work with other router also? Currently using linksys router.

Really? I was also considering this but thought maybe now they may have improved it.

Laying the cable around the house is the ideal case but finding someone who know how to do it properly is difficult, or overpriced. I found a reliable networking guy but he will not be able to conceal the cable (they are strictly networking guy only) as they do not know how. I ask some electrician, but they do not know how to terminate the faceplate. So unless I get them to work together, but they will be paying 2 parties. *sigh*

terminate faceplate?

just tell them to plug in the wires in the same manner for all faceplates, with or without the below order but all must be in the same order.

yellow white

yellow

green white

green

blue white

blue

brown white

brown

Hi there,

All you need to do is to buy a 110 punchdown tool to terminate the faceplates. Costs 30 to 80 bucks depending on the brand you buy. I bought a AMP one for about 80. Works a treat.

Mine's a 5-room flat. I'll be running points to 3 bedrooms, hall and dining. I don't really exactly how much i need so i bought a reel of 305m CAT6 cable.

Hi bro, Where did u buy the reel and how much did it cost u? And u mentioned that u bought the AMP crimper for $80? Solid anot? Are there cheaper crimpers?

Hi bro, Where did u buy the reel and how much did it cost u? And u mentioned that u bought the AMP crimper for $80? Solid anot? Are there cheaper crimpers?

Hi,

I bought my reel at about 180+gst from one of the suppliers. The tool i bought is not a crimper but a punchdown tool. A crimper is for terminating patch cords. A punchdown tool is used to connect wires to sockets and patch panels. You could buy cheap punchdown tools at about $30-40 but the don't last very long or don't do a good job. My thinking is buy it once, buy it good. Else if the cheap one spoils and you need to get another one, it ends up to be the same price.

Hi,

I bought my reel at about 180+gst from one of the suppliers. The tool i bought is not a crimper but a punchdown tool. A crimper is for terminating patch cords. A punchdown tool is used to connect wires to sockets and patch panels. You could buy cheap punchdown tools at about $30-40 but the don't last very long or don't do a good job. My thinking is buy it once, buy it good. Else if the cheap one spoils and you need to get another one, it ends up to be the same price.

Thanks for the heads up. I must say the price you got is very good. !!

Thanks for the heads up. I must say the price you got is very good. !!

Yes bro. I had to scout around quite a bit to get this price. Quotes i got from SLS or SLT was upwards of 250+ per box. Patch panel and wall sockets are all **** ex also. All want to chop carrot. I checked my receipt and my breakdown prices are as follows (excl GST, all AMP netconnect stuff):

1000ft CAT6 = $170

punchdown tool = $83

dual faceplate excl keystone jacks = $1.80

cat6 keystone jack = $6.50

cat6 24 port patch panel = $170

Best part is that the Cat6 cables are actually cheaper than cat5e cables quoted in some SLS shops.

Hi Bro,

Am interested to network my place too, but mine just a 3 room flat. a few additional questions ...

1. Did you do the laying of cables all by yourself or its done by your electrician ? I understand you got the punch down tool, so you connect the Cat 6 cables to the patch panel and faceplate by yourself huh?

2. Don't quite understand why need a 24 port patch panel ? Appreciate if you can elaborate, the best can share your layout plan for the network points ? Because mine is 3 room flat.

3. I saw some pics, it seemed your network point just next to power point, is that advisable ? Understand there may be electro-magnetic interferences.

4. Can share some pics of your patch panel ?

5. Wonder anyone has contact of a qualified network electrician ?

Thanks.

Yes bro. I had to scout around quite a bit to get this price. Quotes i got from SLS or SLT was upwards of 250+ per box. Patch panel and wall sockets are all **** ex also. All want to chop carrot. I checked my receipt and my breakdown prices are as follows (excl GST, all AMP netconnect stuff):

1000ft CAT6 = $170

punchdown tool = $83

dual faceplate excl keystone jacks = $1.80

cat6 keystone jack = $6.50

cat6 24 port patch panel = $170

Best part is that the Cat6 cables are actually cheaper than cat5e cables quoted in some SLS shops.

my ID say his electrician can do it for me if i provide the cables n the port plug. but seems like huby suddenly do not wan to do again.

If you configure you wireless router to use WAP encryption keys, it will be pretty hard to crack.

I ran a Cat 5 cable from my lounge to the MBR. Showed the Electrician how to terminate the ends and now he is offering the service to others. It's pretty easy.

WAP ? got such encryption ?

If you are actually referring to WEP, it can be easily cracked within 60s. Google it and you will see how often they are being cracked.

WPA is definitely more secure than WEP. Length of IV for WPA is 48 compared to WEP's 24. That means using WPA gives you 500 trillion possible key combinations, which makes it almost impossible to crack...

I recommend to running Cat 5e cable and installing a new Ethernet jack. A “wired” network connection was needed at this location due to a weak WiFi (wireless) LAN signal.

Verifying 100mbps LAN Data Rate for the New Ethernet Jack.

Fire Fold