Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
d'lotus

How To Make Granite Tiles 'smooth'

HI... my condo comes with grey granite tiles. When the weather is hot, it feels sticky when walking on them.

Is there any mopping detergent (brand/type) specially for granite that I can use to make it smooth?

Many thanks in advance

Edited by d'lotus

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
HI... my condo comes with grey granite tiles. When the weather is hot, it feels sticky when walking on them.

Is there any mopping detergent (brand/type) specially for granite that I can use to make it smooth?

Many thanks in advance

First you sure is granite, not marble?. "Sticky" feeling is usually cause by the waxing. Granite requires no waxing.

- New granite is rather porous - its absorbes liquid very fast & leave a patch mark, take quite a while to disappear if liquid is clear.

- At night, switch on light, use naked eye, look at flooring at abot 30 deg, 1 feet between eye & flooring, can see many "diamonds" reflective dots.

- When weather is hot and high humidity, stone cools, human feet warm, therefore form condensation, especially true for those ceramic tile with gloss surface.

- Granite mopping - normal detergent, mix with 2 small caps of dettol in a 5 litres p will do. Granite tile take about 6 months to reach "saturation" depending how frequent & amount of water used.

Edited by bepgof

Thanks bepgof

Yes, it's granite... and porous is their trademark....

You see many detergent for terazzo, marble... but none for granite. I am currently using one for marble (with waxing properties) and add 1 cap of dettol. As you mentioned, the sticky feeling might be this wax. Will try with non-wax detergent and see if the stickiness is still there - will report back here :)

What do you mean by reaching saturation? Whateve amount of water used... it will evaporate

my mum always use normal dish washing soup to clean the floor, and its getting smoother and cleaner everyday~ elder ppl experenice haha

Thanks bepgof

Yes, it's granite... and porous is their trademark....

You see many detergent for terazzo, marble... but none for granite. I am currently using one for marble (with waxing properties) and add 1 cap of dettol. As you mentioned, the sticky feeling might be this wax. Will try with non-wax detergent and see if the stickiness is still there - will report back here :)

What do you mean by reaching saturation? Whateve amount of water used... it will evaporate

My previous condo is granite, now the HDb 5-rm I insisted on all flooring -granite, kitchen top also granite. I've a stone-bench outside the house, also covered with granite. I like the little little "diamonds" at night.

Everyday use damped cloth to mop the floor, after abt 3-6 months, the water "slowly eat into" the stone and become not so porous. Prevent putting oily can/tin granite top, oil soak in, difficult to "suck out".

- I've even used flood light(very hot light) to spot on the granite floor near the tiolet entry, too much water eat into the stone, the color become odd.

Edited by bepgof

Since this post, I have been mopping my granite floor with water + normal detergent (without wax)..... the stickiness is gone!!

Now ... to saturate it :)

Since this post, I have been mopping my granite floor with water + normal detergent (without wax)..... the stickiness is gone!!

Now ... to saturate it :)

When u mop with normal (dish or floor) detergent, u leave some detergent on the floor when it dries. I hope u're using those leave-on or no-need-rinse floor detergent. If u feel that ur sole (feet), is dry/ cracking, u may need to change to a milder formula or use detergent only on alternate days.

Not good if you have babies or pets at home. No detergent or dettol as some babies and pets can be allergic to the chemicals.

Since day 1 in 1992 as I know till now, my mil mops floor with detergent+dettol. My "babies" already 15 & 13 year old. Diluted of course, not one shot whole bottle into 5l pal. Dettol kills germs, mites, destroy "smell path" by ants,.....

Edited by bepgof

previously the floor very oily and sticky, i put 2 cap of dettol diluted with water, use microfiber cloth to mop the floor, and mop one more time with plain water. Now the floor no longer oily and sticky. I allergic to the chemicals due to sensitive skin.

how to clean white patches stains.

Edited by dean

Not good if you have babies or pets at home. No detergent or dettol as some babies and pets can be allergic to the chemicals.

I have recommended a few friends, who have babies crawling on the floor, to use the laundry detergent and floor cleaner from Melaleuca. Their products contain all-natural ingredients and contain no dangerous chemical. Their products contain tea tree oil, which has antibacterial properties. I'm using Melaleuca products myself. When I hand-washed clothes with supermarket laundry detergents last time, my hands always go red, my skin is pretty sensitive. But Melaleuca one doesn't give me that problem.

Edited by forgotten

previously the floor very oily and sticky, i put 2 cap of dettol diluted with water, use microfiber cloth to mop the floor, and mop one more time with plain water. Now the floor no longer oily and sticky. I allergic to the chemicals due to sensitive skin.

how to clean white patches stains.

The white round stain still there? Try put wet cloth on top for a few hours, say 3hr, then rub surface with same cloth a few time. wash cloth, make wet, put onto top the stain for 3 hr... repeat the same for say a week and see result.

Edited by bepgof