Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
moonlit

Backsplash: Tiles, Stainless Steel, Glass Or...?

Hi there,

I've always thought I'll go for tiles but recently start to like the look of stainless steel backsplash.

What sort of backsplash do you have?

Is it hard to maintain?

Do you wish you have chosen something else?

Appreciate if you could share your experience/knowledge. TIA! :yamseng:

Edited by moonlit

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi there,

I've always thought I'll go for tiles but recently start to like the look of stainless steel backsplash.

Is it hard to maintain?

I was quoted $180 for 1-m glass or stainless steel backsplash which I find pretty stiff for my pocket.

A fellow forummer introduced aluminium composite panel.

Called up DAMA.com.sg and was quoted $40-$55 (depending on colour) for a 8-feel long and 4 feet high panel.

I will be using this for my backsplash as I only need to buy 2 sheets for my 11-feet wall with plenty of left over for the service balcony or for other uses.

They charge $10 for every cut you need to make on the panel (eg for power points, etc).

Free delivery and they open half day on Sat. They don't do installation though so need to get your contractor to install it for you..

You can go to their office and take a A4-size sample.

I took one and place it behind of current / old stove...so far so good.

Wish me luck in my installation to my new place.

Edited by strawberry8

hey strawberry!

u installed it already? :) faster than me...haha

im probably going to dama soon to do acrylic top for dining table... so tempted to try the aluminum composite panel as well, wah they gave u A4 size sample...they only give me a tiny piece nia... :(

what colour you chose? :)

Hi there,

Is it hard to maintain?

Hi

Doing glass backsplash (6mm thickness) for my kitchen as most renotalker mentioned it is easier to maintain than stainless steel. Initially wanna to do stainless steel for those area behind my hobs.

but do take note, if u plan to paint the backsplash in white background, it will result a bit greenish as that the glass color. Someone mentioned there is higher grade glass with less greenish but ID still mentioned there will some green as well & not worth the price. hope this help

renotalk poll on backsplash link

Edited by dbkungfu

hey strawberry!

u installed it already? :) faster than me...haha

im probably going to dama soon to do acrylic top for dining table... so tempted to try the aluminum composite panel as well, wah they gave u A4 size sample...they only give me a tiny piece nia... :(

what colour you chose? :)

Have not installed yet.

Still doing wetwork.

Probably in another 2 weeks?

I will probably choose silver as my floor is dark grey.

There is a lower-run cabinets (10-11 feet on the left of kitchen; no top-hung cabinets) are glossy white, tall cabinet (2 feet on the rigth of kitchen) is glossy burgundy.

solid top is white.

Wanted blacksplash to be black but panel only come with matt black, not glossy black.

My kitchen light is IKEA's hanging silver pendant light....so can match the panel.

I am not tiling kitchen wall....cement screed and painted white.

What do you think of my kitchen colour combination?

Have not installed yet.

Still doing wetwork.

Probably in another 2 weeks?

I will probably choose silver as my floor is dark grey.

There is a lower-run cabinets (10-11 feet on the left of kitchen; no top-hung cabinets) are glossy white, tall cabinet (2 feet on the rigth of kitchen) is glossy burgundy.

solid top is white.

Wanted blacksplash to be black but panel only come with matt black, not glossy black.

My kitchen light is IKEA's hanging silver pendant light....so can match the panel.

I am not tiling kitchen wall....cement screed and painted white.

What do you think of my kitchen colour combination?

think your kitchen will look great! :) white and grey very complementary, so the gloss burgundy will stand out. for backsplash i think go for colours that complement the grey floor better. Got think of using the stainless steel hairline colour? Might give a stainless steel effect better...heeeee

our kitchens are quite similar, being no top cabinets and no tiles. :) wonder what paint u use? my painter used outdoor paint (white)...duno can last how long also... :unsure:

backsplash, i not sure if i gonna do just the hob area or stretch it all the way...hmmm

I'm using titles and stainless Steel backsplash. I know it's difficult to maintain stainless steel but I feel it's much easy to clean compare using titles.

Thank you all for your replies, the information you provided are useful.

dbkungfu, thanks for the link, I couldn't find it before. According to the poll, most people chose glass.

I've never considered glass before because I was worried dirt will get behind the glass and there's no way to clean. :unsure:

Was at a relative's house over the weekend, they had s/s backsplash, looks hard to maintain... :(

Ok, end of the day I suppose as long as you wipe down the backsplash after cooking, all should be well. My mil always clean her tiled backsplash after cooking thus her 10-yr old kitchen still looks new. Now, I just need to be as hardworking as her...

There're those plastic/aluminum sheets that one can paste at the kitchen backsplash to prevent it from getting dirty.

I pasted aluminum sheet at my kitchen backsplash near my stove. I will just change the sheet once in a while.

think your kitchen will look great! :) white and grey very complementary, so the gloss burgundy will stand out. for backsplash i think go for colours that complement the grey floor better. Got think of using the stainless steel hairline colour? Might give a stainless steel effect better...heeeee

our kitchens are quite similar, being no top cabinets and no tiles. :) wonder what paint u use? my painter used outdoor paint (white)...duno can last how long also... :unsure:

backsplash, i not sure if i gonna do just the hob area or stretch it all the way...hmmm

One correction.

DAMA did not give me A4 size sample. only the small piece but in many colours.

I just reached SG and heard my hubby wrongly then.

Outdoor paint ?

I did not ask for outdoor paint wor....

Do you know what paint the other forummers use (for those who did not tile kitchen wall) ?

I copied my kitchen colour combination and layout from MACBART :P

Hope he does not mind :P

Thank you all for your replies, the information you provided are useful.

dbkungfu, thanks for the link, I couldn't find it before. According to the poll, most people chose glass.

I've never considered glass before because I was worried dirt will get behind the glass and there's no way to clean. :unsure:

Was at a relative's house over the weekend, they had s/s backsplash, looks hard to maintain... :(

Ok, end of the day I suppose as long as you wipe down the backsplash after cooking, all should be well. My mil always clean her tiled backsplash after cooking thus her 10-yr old kitchen still looks new. Now, I just need to be as hardworking as her...

:) ... xtually I decided to do glass backsplash b'cos I saw the same link couple weeks ago with ease of maintenance in mind. For the dirt, I guess it up to the workmanship, I do expect no big gap between my countertop & top cabinet. Plus the glass will be painted with ICI/Nippon on the back, so dirt wont be visible :good:. anyway if dirt manage to sip in, then I will be worry that the glass will fell off the wall one of this day. My ID assure me that it will be tightly glue to the wall ... will see.

Another challenge I foresee is the cut out holes for my power socket that may make the glass "unstable' that may lead to crack. Did consider s/s but may introduce scratches in not wipe properly, who know one day we will accidentally hit the pot covers or wok on it. of course, glass will probably break also.

Edited by dbkungfu

urhg... saw this thread too late, had asked for SS for my hob area.

cos glass will be more ex, my SS was $150 a piece.

as long as you have not installed it, you can always change your mind.

i too had the stainless steel backsplash quoted on my contract but have told him i will not use it.

offset from final price.

urhg... saw this thread too late, had asked for SS for my hob area.

cos glass will be more ex, my SS was $150 a piece.

Stick to your choice.

Stainless steel is so much better than aluminium, you just need to use warm soapy water to wipe it with cloth or sponge.

Stick to your choice.

Stainless steel is so much better than aluminium, you just need to use warm soapy water to wipe it with cloth or sponge.

I going to cancel the SS from my contractor, I find it really ex at $150 a piece.

I asked my bro how much for a piece like that, he said depends on the grade, but can use those normal one which only cost $70.

but now I am thinking of using aluminium, which make sense cos it wont be hot.