Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Guest todbee

Which Area Is Recommend/good For Young Family To Live In?

AMARANDA GDNS (FH). 3+1, 1163 sf, $$1.3xM

AMARANDA GDNS (FH). 4+1, 1464 sf, $1.5xM

got some spam email from some property agent. Friend lives here, there's a subway right in front of the condo. RI, RJC is around the corner. if you want to rent, aussie international school nearby too = extremely good rental yield

still got 200k leftover can share with people in the forum who help u find your desire pad, don't need all of the remainder, 50% of your remainder from your 1.5M will suffice

1) kardtoon

2) bepgof

3) merydith

4) random_username

5) zelly

6) oogachaga

7) kellogs

8) pantieileen

i thank you on behalf of everyone :)

Edited by pantieileen

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
The reason I switched from East Coast area to Serangon/Kovan area is due to my kids schooling. They are at age of 1.5-3+ at the moment and going to Childcare in Yishun/Sembawang. I think the school they are in now is pretty good and don't think will find other childcare like that in the new area we decided to shift to. Finding new new school for them is really a headache. It's like doing a PHD.

At first consider the East Coast area like around Eunos & Kembangan area. Have viewed about 10+ condo(new and 1-2years old condo) around (Lorong)Telok Kurau, Eunos, Kembangan area. Condo I have viewed:-

• Blue Coral
  • Medley
  • D'Casita
  • Mabell
  • The Lucent
  • Mill Creek
  • Le Reve
  • Ferraria Park and etc (can't remember liao)

After viewing the above condos and I realise I don't like the Telok Kurau area due to the Lorong is so "cramp" when getting in and out of the Lorong. Imagine everytime go home with this Lorong "cramp"... no thank you for me. And also I don't really like boutique condos after seeing so many, they all look about the same. It doesn't give people the home feeling apart from feeling "oh, that's NICE and NEW"!

Then after knowing there are jets flying around some area in Eunos, Telok Kurau... then I told myself to stay away these area. I don't understand why everyone so loved to live in the EAST COAST and so proud of telling people they are born, live and wanted to even die in EAST COAST than anywhere else?? Hmm.....

Now, I'm considering the Serangon/Kovan area which also the new shopping centre will be built and completed in Q4 2010. I think if live in Serangon/Kovan area then I can still drive my kids to the childcare in Yishun/Sembawang. Or do I sound crazy here?? Do you guys think there will be capital appreciation due to new shopping centre located?

It's really not easy for me to decide to look into which area at the end. Looking at East Coast area, yes it's CLOSER to city but no so convenient for my kids schooling, traffic is bad, suffer jet's or aeroplane noise and the lorong "cramp".

Ai..... *HELP*

Serangoon & upper serangoon is one of the "longest", "busiest" yet "narrow" roads in Singapore. Obviously the OH driveway, MRT, CTE, help but cannot solve the traffic congestion problems existed long long time ago. Imagine go back home via CTE at night till kena "penalty" by paying ERP. Mr. Mah has been once or twice at this roadside "observing" the condition! Take a drive from downtown, towards upper serangoon rd, say start from junction of braddel/upper serangoon till Hougang Ave2. Tell me you can find how many U-turns & right-turns. Since you live in North, you should know the traffic conditions there. From paper, Kovan area has become another "small vietnam", a copy of joo chiat.

Find out from www.moe.edu.sg about the primary schools info. In 2001, I lived "within 1km" from Red Swasticka Pri, under phase 2C, balloting still could not get in, register my son under waiting list(position #21). Same year, tried many legal ways & means, finally on 24/12/2001, principal called & joke wanted to give me a "Christmas Present" & said "welcome abroad". Son knew abt this & told him work hard to pay school back more than this present. Won 2 big "cups" & some cash for school in competitions. One of the big pictures featuring moe minister, principal & him still hanging on the wall. He is now with RI, S3. So, good "luck/preparation" to you in advance. Oh, you may consider clear water, aquarius by the park, baywater, waterfront key, waterfrontgold...if considering RSS for your children.

Always, within this 6-yr journey, travelling time/safety are main concerns for children.

As in my earlier post,

Edited by bepgof

the nice neighborhoods in the east are meyer, katong, marine parade, and siglap. when people say they love the east, they meant they love having access to these neighborhoods. and of course the beach and the east coast park area. even joo chiat has its charms beyond beyond the sleaze. definitely more interesting than spending an afternoon at tampines mall.

great food places if those are impt to you. i'd never live in the north again because of the traffic... trust me on this, ecp >>>> pie >> cte.

If you are concern abt childcare, i know that Lorna Whiston is going to have another pre-school in the East @ Rainbow Cove starting this August.

Because, they just starting, i think their waiting list will not be as long as Chiltern house. Their 1 and only Pre-school now at Telok Blangah is excellence :)

the nice neighborhoods in the east are meyer, katong, marine parade, and siglap. when people say they love the east, they meant they love having access to these neighborhoods. and of course the beach and the east coast park area. even joo chiat has its charms beyond beyond the sleaze. definitely more interesting than spending an afternoon at tampines mall.

great food places if those are impt to you. i'd never live in the north again because of the traffic... trust me on this, ecp >>>> pie >> cte.

agree~!

Can't wait for the new Katong Mall to be opened. I remembered having tuition there as a kid then grabbing Chin Mei Chin cream puffs or the traditional cakes on the other side (Red House cake shop) on the way home. Wonderful roast duck and pork at Mei Yuen. Playing in the now defunct Grand Hotel garden compound. Cross the underpass to ECP with my maid. Steal those little balls at the old Ikea (ball pool? is that what they call it? the place where parents dump their kids while they shop at Ikea). Parkway and Toys R' Us was the meeting point for kids and their maids. Oh i remember taking trishaw with my grandma to buy handmade popiah skin at joo chiat...Marine Terrace market is still the place for old money to pre-order their marketing and gossip.

I have lived in north almost all my life. I think great food places is ALL over the place in singapore especially if you live in a old HDB estate like AMK. I think the food in AMK is probably equally nice and probably cheaper than East Coast area.

I went to east coast during one of the weekends recently and it was so crowded and jammed that I told myself not to go back there again.

CTE is not that bad if you avoid certain hours. From AMK to Orchad, it takes around 15 minutes on a Sunday morning 11am. Anyway they are widening the CTE so hopefully it will be better after they complete it.

To me the main draw of AMK is RI/RJC/RGS(soon?) and Rosyth Primary.

Probably fair for me to comment on this.

We've 1 property in changi (far east), 1 property in koon seng area (middle east) and we are staying in North East (Upper Serangoon). I stayed in marine drive for 26 years of my life (before I got married). So east coast is close to my heart.

I've moved to Upp Serangoon for 2 years now. It's true that at some time of the day, traffic can be heavy. But with KPE, I suppose it is getting better since the punggol folks use KPE rather than going through Upp Serangoon. It takes us 15 mins on KPE to reach suntec city. I work in the west and it takes around 30 mins from Upp Serangoon to science park area so it's not that bad either. Without these traffic, Upp Serangoon is actually very near to town. So I actually enjoy the Upp Serangoon area and not forgetting the circle line that make it even more conveniently link now. It takes 30 mins ride from Harbor front station to hougang station. I think the eateries are comparable to katong. It's rather interesting and happening.

From a school perspective, there are more primary school selection here (eg. Maris Stella, Holy Innocent, Rosyth, PLMGS, Xinmin, etc...) iso of just Tao Nan (the more prominent school), there seems to be more variety here.

Transport wise is also a great plus. Besides MRT, we are also spoilt for bus choices since we are near the hougang interchange. Amenities is great with polyclinic, sports hall, swimming pool near us. So i am really enjoying the area.

May I just add an important point about Primary school enrolment. While it is great to stay within 1km from a desired primary school, it does not guarantee a place during phase 2B of enrolment. When when balloting (60 parents trying to get the 10 available lots) is involved, it will all depends on the luck of the draw.

In fact, in 2010, only 4 primary school did not have have organise ballotting.

To get a guaranteed place for your kid, it will be recommended that you enrol your kid in the alma mater of you and your spouse. That will put you in phase 2A.

May I just add an important point about Primary school enrolment. While it is great to stay within 1km from a desired primary school, it does not guarantee a place during phase 2B of enrolment. When when balloting (60 parents trying to get the 10 available lots) is involved, it will all depends on the luck of the draw.

In fact, in 2010, only 4 primary school did not have have organise ballotting.

To get a guaranteed place for your kid, it will be recommended that you enrol your kid in the alma mater of you and your spouse. That will put you in phase 2A.

Yes that's true. But in situations where your alma mater disappeared or it belongs to those school where there are vacancies after phase 2C, then you might want to consider being a parent volunteer (if the school allows that) or grassroot leaders. Note that all these needs to be plan/ strategise in advance. Eg. 2-3 years for popular schools. Eg. Rosyth requires 80? hours of parent volunteer and they start 2 years before the child is due to enter P1.

Edited by mmm