Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

which shop u went? and wats the price for each set?

My budget about 3k... All of them fulfil my budget. Went 2 shops

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
My budget about 3k... All of them fulfil my budget. Went 2 shops

i also have the same budget. 3k less BR player, still thinking if wanna buy the oppo 83 or 93 hmmm.

now looking at Def tech 800 and tannoy arena which is better? in using the HTS in my Living will there be any diff ?

Edited by demonyi

i also have the same budget. 3k less BR player, still thinking if wanna buy the oppo 83 or 93 hmmm.

Oppo? They never recommend me oppo leh.. Is it becos its for audio? Oh oppo is the BR player... pardon me

Edited by Drexter

First Set: Marantz 5005 + Morel Music Theatre 1

Second Set: Definitive Techo Pro 800 Speaker System + Onkyo TX-NR 708

Third Set: Cambridge Audio Minx M325 Package + Onkyo TX-NR 708

Hope to hear some comments/feedbacks for the above set-up which is within my budget. I'm more of a 80% movie person, this set-up is for my HTS room. Thanks.

waiting for gurus

waiting for gurus

Will come back on this tomorrow Drexter as family life has me away from the computer most of the weekends and evenings. I work on computers so ........ well I will just leave it at that ;).

RB

I am in complete agreement with RB here. FKN simply uses too many "..........."s in his sentences to even sound credible, that is, if you get over the "............."s to actually read his "advice" that is purely based on really strange anti-Brit sentiments and weird self-contrived logic, just expressed with so much conviction (or insistence and repetition - common tools for propoganda) that people actually WANT to heed it.

From a very amateur's point of view, all I can say is 1) stick to your budget 2) listen to the different systems according to this budget 3) buy whatever you like best. Let KEC set up different systems according to your budget, and your preferences - give feedback like "this is not crisp enough", "too bass heavy for me", and they can better cater to your personal preferences. If you like further assurance, go home and do a Google search on the certain models you like and read reviews, then your cognitive dissonance will be satisfied, and you'd feel better informed when making your purchase decision.

To a certain extent, I'd agree that popularity is based on advertising/endorsements, for example pet food like Science Diet, Eukanuba etc, but unlike FKN, I'm able to provide solid proof when I reveal the list of ingredients in comparison with other brands. Why pay for by-products and corn just because they're sold at vets when you can pay for real meat and no-grains? It's all about more bang for your buck. People just assume Science Diet MUST be a good food because they sponsor the Crufts Dog Show and sold at vets. So, do your own research, and really, really, just pick what you love listening to most.

-Ely

One other thing that may be worth noting and which I am pretty bad at (I blame my British upbringing) is that when you audition you are under no obligation to purchase. Take your time, get away from the shop and get a coffee or something and think it over before laying down the cash. Do some backup research (bring a laptop and find a coffee bean or starbucks etc) and also ask your self if you need to spend all that money or if the level below cash wise is still good enough. It may also be worth looking at the items resale value as well just in case you want to upgrade later. Go listen as many times as you want to as much kit as you can and pay when you have the choice you are happy with. Don't think you are putting the shops out by going to multiple demos as they are charging you int he price of the equipment. The projector I bough was 75% higher than the cost of buying and importing from the US. Luckily the price dropped just beofre I bought as a new model was coming out.

RB

Do send me the list once you're done compiling all 180.... - You can PM me on this board, or at elyria@singnet.com :)

-Ely

Full list finally completed and emailed. Anyone interested then please let me know and I will send a list. I will also be posting them on vr-zone.

RB

Will come back on this tomorrow Drexter as family life has me away from the computer most of the weekends and evenings. I work on computers so ........ well I will just leave it at that ;).

RB

Thanks. Please review on Tannoy Arena 5.1 too....

Thank you RB and pckee for your feedback.

Yes, im a totally newbie and i know nothing about sound system, but I like it. I am sure I cannot differentiate the sound from each system without looking at it. I am using the system for games, music and video. but I wont be watching from disc, just stream. (by the way, do you all know if the sound quality from internet streaming is good?)

the system will be place in the living room that measures about 2.5 by 2.5m for the tv area.

my budget is $1500 or less (including all wiring). I am just looking at 2 speakers, 1 woofer system.

Ely found three systems for around 2k with all the speakers.

Their Pro Cinema 600 with Denon 1611

is going for $1850, the MS Genie with Onkyo 508 is going for $2050 and the

Wharfedale 10 with Onkyo 508 is going for $1999

It may be possible to work out a deal to exclude the rears and centre and try to get them within your budget. People reported that shops in Adelphi were selling the Onkyo 608 for around S$680 IIRC so that would leave around S$820 for speakers. Check with some of the shops in Adelphi to find out what they also recommend. Another option is to ditch the sub and get a stereo amp and some very nice speakers. For your room size and considering you are streaming from the internet it may be a bit of overkill to go for a home cinema amp especially when you only want 2.1 speakers.

There is a Primare A20 MkII Integrated Amplifier on sale in xtremeplace for around S$800 here.

An Arcam Alpha5plus here for S$350. Review of the Alpha 5 can be found here. Spend the rest on some nice speakers and you should have a great sounding starter system.

Even got some B&W 685s going for S$550 here.

Call the shops and see what they suggest as they have access to many different systems and let us know.

RB

First Set: Marantz 5005 + Morel Music Theatre 1

Second Set: Definitive Techo Pro 800 Speaker System + Onkyo TX-NR 708

Third Set: Cambridge Audio Minx M325 Package + Onkyo TX-NR 708

Hope to hear some comments/feedbacks for the above set-up which is within my budget. I'm more of a 80% movie person, this set-up is for my HTS room. Thanks.

Now, I am a little surprised as most are going for the standard Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo with Wharfedale/B&W/MA etc combinations and you have moved right out of the box. Nothing wrong with that at all but just curious as to why ? What is it that appeals to you about these packages ?

RB

Some magazine reviews of speaker packages.

These should help give you an idea of stuff to try but just because the mag says the speaker package is fantastic, use your own ears and try for yourself. Take these as a starting point rather than a conclusion of your speaker package search. Mix and match with suggestions from the shops you audition in.

Compact speaker system group test here and individual tests here.

Surround sound speaker package tests here and here.

RB

Now, I am a little surprised as most are going for the standard Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo with Wharfedale/B&W/MA etc combinations and you have moved right out of the box. Nothing wrong with that at all but just curious as to why ? What is it that appeals to you about these packages ?

RB

May I know what do u mean by right out of the box? Are they pioneer, sony which comes in a set? I'm newbie, so I just walk in to KEC or any shops and tell them that I need a HTS, will be installing in the room, I dun need the player as I will be using PS3, I dun need TV as I will be getting 3DTV separately. Is my approach wrong? Actually after hearing the setups above, to me its all about the same. Maybe I should go try out more. Wonder if Tannoy Arena will have a great difference.

May I know what do u mean by right out of the box? Are they pioneer, sony which comes in a set? I'm newbie, so I just walk in to KEC or any shops and tell them that I need a HTS, will be installing in the room, I dun need the player as I will be using PS3, I dun need TV as I will be getting 3DTV separately. Is my approach wrong? Actually after hearing the setups above, to me its all about the same. Maybe I should go try out more. Wonder if Tannoy Arena will have a great difference.

Sorry, I mean the common combinations are regarded as being a good solid choice but you have looked outside of those choices and as are thinking 'outside of the box', i.e. you are having different thoughts about how you can reach your goals rather than following the common path. This is by no means a bad thing and can produce great rewards as long as you are careful.

Just wondering what made you choose those setups. Smaller speakers ?.

RB

Sorry, I mean the common combinations are regarded as being a good solid choice but you have looked outside of those choices and as are thinking 'outside of the box', i.e. you are having different thoughts about how you can reach your goals rather than following the common path. This is by no means a bad thing and can produce great rewards as long as you are careful.

Just wondering what made you choose those setups. Smaller speakers ?.

RB

Because I told them its for the bedroom, so they intro maller speakers as its not as spacious after putting floor stand type...