Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Hello all,

I'm an EXTREME n00b when it comes to this, so have decided to also consult the in-house audio/videophile - Vicenzo! Please be patient with me. :) This is going to be a looooong post - grab coffee.

1) I'm an avid music lover - I love crisp sounds and a warm bass - but am not sure how often I would listen to music on the HTS because OH would probably be hogging TV! We don't own a single Blu-ray disc (and this would change, I promise) and I mostly torrent all the shows, store on a hard drive, and plug into a media player to watch it on TV. We don't watch as many movies as we do TV - probably equally divided between Cable TV and torrented TV series on the media player.

My WD Media Player has HDMI output so it would be able to connect to the receiver, yes? But would the quality be compromised because the movies were downloaded?

Solution: Buy a basic system? >< That would really hurt the inner geek in me.

2) I like music wherever I am - dancing in the kitchen, singing in the shower, bouncing about in the house, bopping my head on the laptop - that kind of thing, so something stagnant might not prove its purpose? Unless OH is out and I can turn it on full blast to hear it wherever I am. Piped-in music seems a little extragravant to me... And if OH is watching TV while I am getting ready to go out, I still get to groove to music (helps me get ready faster hehe).

Solution: Have iPod docks (with bearable sound quality :( ) in the bathroom, bedroom, kitchen - but that just sounds so silly!

3) I am uncertain of how a player, say a OPPO 80, determines music/pictures/video to play when a USB drive is inserted if all three formats are present. That same confusion extends to wireless media centers - does its interface mimick that of my PC, to be able to access certain folders in certain directories on a certain hard drive parition? I have 4 drives, with so many sub-directories of music - does it simply display EVERY .mp3 file? I see an example of a media center's interface (pic attached) and it shows a very simple go-to function like what I have on my WD Media Player: specific files I painstakingly put in there on an external HDD.

oplay_r3_osd.jpg

Solution: Get many external HDDs and store only music, or videos, or TV series etc, swap the HDD everytime I want to swap content - but it can't be so ridiculous right??

Which brings me to... (ok, we're getting there)

4) Is the answer of all answers a HTPC?! The HTPC holds all my content (no HDD swapping), presents itself in such a user-friendly format, can even watch browse Internet and write on renotalk forums while lis! Does it connect to the receiver? What cables would I need? Do I need to build a high-end geared PC to support/boost quality of music/video?

This does not, however, solve 2) but 1 out of 3 ain't bad?

What system configuration would you recommend if mainly TV would be used with it?

Should I concentrate on good iPod dock speakers instead, like a Bose?

Sigh, maybe I should just buy Shure earphones and walk around with my iPod attached to my hip~

Thanks for listening!

<3

Ely

try SONOS Wireless Multi-Room Music System

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
imho, i will swap the sub with a velo sub. you can consider it if it is within your budget.

Errmm, let me do some research on this velo sub that you recommend. Do you know does KEC carry this sub?

Hi

Care to share how much they quote you? Can send me a private message if you think it is inconvenient here

Hi Bro, in my previous reply, I replied that i paid a low 2K for the system which include cables and installation. KEC mentioned that they will do the tuning for me after the installation.

But dont based on what I have bought as your benchmark. Coz every system that I have tried that day, the sound is totally different. At the end of the day, get a system that you prefer and budget.

Hello all,

I'm an EXTREME n00b when it comes to this, so have decided to also consult the in-house audio/videophile - Vicenzo! Please be patient with me. :) This is going to be a looooong post - grab coffee.

1) I'm an avid music lover - I love crisp sounds and a warm bass - but am not sure how often I would listen to music on the HTS because OH would probably be hogging TV! We don't own a single Blu-ray disc (and this would change, I promise) and I mostly torrent all the shows, store on a hard drive, and plug into a media player to watch it on TV. We don't watch as many movies as we do TV - probably equally divided between Cable TV and torrented TV series on the media player.

My WD Media Player has HDMI output so it would be able to connect to the receiver, yes? But would the quality be compromised because the movies were downloaded?

Solution: Buy a basic system? >< That would really hurt the inner geek in me.

2) I like music wherever I am - dancing in the kitchen, singing in the shower, bouncing about in the house, bopping my head on the laptop - that kind of thing, so something stagnant might not prove its purpose? Unless OH is out and I can turn it on full blast to hear it wherever I am. Piped-in music seems a little extragravant to me... And if OH is watching TV while I am getting ready to go out, I still get to groove to music (helps me get ready faster hehe).

Solution: Have iPod docks (with bearable sound quality :( ) in the bathroom, bedroom, kitchen - but that just sounds so silly!

3) I am uncertain of how a player, say a OPPO 80, determines music/pictures/video to play when a USB drive is inserted if all three formats are present. That same confusion extends to wireless media centers - does its interface mimick that of my PC, to be able to access certain folders in certain directories on a certain hard drive parition? I have 4 drives, with so many sub-directories of music - does it simply display EVERY .mp3 file? I see an example of a media center's interface (pic attached) and it shows a very simple go-to function like what I have on my WD Media Player: specific files I painstakingly put in there on an external HDD.

oplay_r3_osd.jpg

Solution: Get many external HDDs and store only music, or videos, or TV series etc, swap the HDD everytime I want to swap content - but it can't be so ridiculous right??

Which brings me to... (ok, we're getting there)

4) Is the answer of all answers a HTPC?! The HTPC holds all my content (no HDD swapping), presents itself in such a user-friendly format, can even watch browse Internet and write on renotalk forums while lis! Does it connect to the receiver? What cables would I need? Do I need to build a high-end geared PC to support/boost quality of music/video?

This does not, however, solve 2) but 1 out of 3 ain't bad?

What system configuration would you recommend if mainly TV would be used with it?

Should I concentrate on good iPod dock speakers instead, like a Bose?

Sigh, maybe I should just buy Shure earphones and walk around with my iPod attached to my hip~

Thanks for listening!

<3

Ely

Hi, I am not a expert in this kinda of sound system. But IMHO, i find it quite pointless to buy a IPOD dock and play using your sound system coz the music that come out from your speakers dont sound as good as using a CD.

If you intend to play MP3, you can just use ur PC speakers to play it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hi

Smart move to avoid HTiB. Avoid Soundbars as well. Theyre only good for room conditions. Wow factor is applicable for its neatness but

when it comes to sound quality, its more WOE factor.

MT-30 sets u back around $3.6K plus without receiver. If u think along the lines of Yamha or Onkyo amps, you wont go wrong.

cheers

Hi Bro Vicenzo,

my last quote for MT-30 is $4K without Amp. where were u quoted?

Thanks

Hi, I am not a expert in this kinda of sound system. But IMHO, i find it quite pointless to buy a IPOD dock and play using your sound system coz the music that come out from your speakers dont sound as good as using a CD.

If you intend to play MP3, you can just use ur PC speakers to play it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hi Woody,

Yes, I would be listening to music with my speakers if I am on the computer, ie. study room. But does the music quality from a CD really differ from a MP3, even those at 192kps - 256kps?

Errmm, let me do some research on this velo sub that you recommend. Do you know does KEC carry this sub?

ya, they carry this sub cos i got mine from them too...hehe...if budget allows, i would have go for svs sub instead, i believe bro vicenzo would agree with me on this... :D

Still some questions unanswered (I did mention patience with me, yes? :lol: ) :

What HTS system configuration would you recommend if mainly TV and downloaded movies are used with it? Or simply not worth it, and get like a ... Soundbar or whatever is at Harvey Norman? Or get a very basic setup like some of you have for $1.4K?

3) I am uncertain of how a player, say OPPO 80, determines music/pictures/video to play when a USB drive is inserted if all three formats are present.

Thanks!

OMG! Be still, my beating heart! I found this article http://vr-zone.com/articles/sonos-zoneplay...apore/9185.html which says it retails at $745, which isn't too crazy. Hmm, do you expect this at Comex?

Thanks very much for this :) I'll definitely look into this.

SONOS can work using wired or wireless LAN... for wireless, it is using proprietary technology that gives a better and stable link to stream music over the air. It is not using the 802.11a/b/g standard.

acherly there are other products like Logitech Squeezebox that uses the wired Ethernet RJ45 connection or 802.11g wifi standard to wirelessly stream audio across your entire home. it uses back your existing hifi eqpt, basically replacing the CD player...and is controllable via iphone application....just buy the wifi player, install the free software (Windoze/Mac supported), point the software to all ur ripped mp3 music in your HTPC and that's it....

Edited by neubie

Hi Woody,

Yes, I would be listening to music with my speakers if I am on the computer, ie. study room. But does the music quality from a CD really differ from a MP3, even those at 192kps - 256kps?

honestly speaking, the moment u encode ur mp3 at 192kbps or higher, i can't hear the difference between CD and mp3 liao... yes, if u were to use a real-time spectrum analyser to sweep the signal, there is a difference between LPCM (CD redbook standard) and MP3, but sonically you won't be able to tell the diff....i dun have dog ears that can listen beyond >17kHz... ;p but given HDD is so cheap, i just rip all my CDs at 320kbps or VBR best quality....

honestly speaking, the moment u encode ur mp3 at 192kbps or higher, i can't hear the difference between CD and mp3 liao... yes, if u were to use a real-time spectrum analyser to sweep the signal, there is a difference between LPCM (CD redbook standard) and MP3, but sonically you won't be able to tell the diff....i dun have dog ears that can listen beyond >17kHz... ;p but given HDD is so cheap, i just rip all my CDs at 320kbps or VBR best quality....

Ermm...maybe all my mp3 files are all 128kps...no wonder it dun sound good when i play it in my car.

Ermm...maybe all my mp3 files are all 128kps...no wonder it dun sound good when i play it in my car.

not really true. based on the latest codecs, even encoding at 128kbps is good enuf for playback in the car liao....anyway, the car is a noisy place to listen to CD-quality music..... road noise, bumps, rattles would have caused more deterioration than a 128kbps playback. :)

not really true. based on the latest codecs, even encoding at 128kbps is good enuf for playback in the car liao....anyway, the car is a noisy place to listen to CD-quality music..... road noise, bumps, rattles would have caused more deterioration than a 128kbps playback. :)

That y i put soundproof material in my car....even thou it not 100% sound proof, at least it manage to make my ride quieter and enjoyable. :)

ya, they carry this sub cos i got mine from them too...hehe...if budget allows, i would have go for svs sub instead, i believe bro vicenzo would agree with me on this... :D

Hi Joseng,

May I know what is the significant change if I change to Velo sub? Plus, will my AVR be able to support it?