Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Sorry TS borrow your thread..

I'm a noob at HT and I'm on the verge of getting a new receiver again since my pioneer vsx917 hdmi output causes some intermitten problem.

Could anyone be kind enough to suggest what receivers I shd look at since I have very little time to research on them. Although I have an Onlyo SR608 in mind, I would like to know if this receiver is really worth with the added features or are there any better alternatives? My budget would not go higher than an SR608. Hope to go adelphi after some replies here.. My set up includes a Panasonic PY-700, PS3 slim and Mordaunt Short Alumni speakers. Was quite happy with the pioneer but no hdmi audio support.

Hi

You can consider the Yamaha 765. I rate that better than the 608.

Do note Onkyo hasnt solve their over heating problems yet.

Cheers

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi

You can consider the Yamaha 765. I rate that better than the 608.

Do note Onkyo hasnt solve their over heating problems yet.

Cheers

Yea read reviews on the 765 like not bad. So will consider that too.. So my current list would be:

1)Yamaha 765

2)Marantz Nr1501

3)Onkyo 608

Any other recommendations that fit the criterior of being better than pioneer vsx917 (price and features) pls offer your inputs..

Errr....if dardydar intends to get the CM series, its best to stay this course & use the M-1 as rears only.

If he's decided to get the 600 series, there's the HTM62 as a center speaker. Likewise keep the M-1 as rears.

Only MT20,25 & 30 make full use of the 5.1 HTS in the B&W series for satelitte speakers.

cheers

Oic, is the M1 too weak to support the CM5 as a center for a 5.1 HTS?

:)

Errr....if dardydar intends to get the CM series, its best to stay this course & use the M-1 as rears only.

If he's decided to get the 600 series, there's the HTM62 as a center speaker. Likewise keep the M-1 as rears.

Only MT20,25 & 30 make full use of the 5.1 HTS in the B&W series for satelitte speakers.

cheers

thank you bro vicenzo - if i go for the CM5, yes i will have to fork out for the CMC as well.

What do you mean when you say only Mt-20,25 and 30 make full use of the 5.1HTS?

Does it mean I won't be able do so with CM5s and CMC in front and centre speakers?

Oic, is the M1 too weak to support the CM5 as a center for a 5.1 HTS?

Definetely. Just look at the specs of the CM5 & a M-1 speakers. David vs Goliath.

cheers

thank you bro vicenzo - if i go for the CM5, yes i will have to fork out for the CMC as well.

What do you mean when you say only Mt-20,25 and 30 make full use of the 5.1HTS?

Does it mean I won't be able do so with CM5s and CMC in front and centre speakers?

Sorry maybe i didnt make myself clear.

MT20/25/30 all uses M-1 speakers as their main LRC & rear.

I do suggest you try the 600 series as a 5.1 set up. It cost cheaper & the

performance are more rounded in terms for music listening & movie watching.

Btw, whats the damage if youre getting the CM series without the receiver?

cheers

Sorry maybe i didnt make myself clear.

MT20/25/30 all uses M-1 speakers as their main LRC & rear.

I do suggest you try the 600 series as a 5.1 set up. It cost cheaper & the

performance are more rounded in terms for music listening & movie watching.

Btw, whats the damage if youre getting the CM series without the receiver?

cheers

thanks. yes, i'm aware the MT30 uses 5xM1 speakers.

i tried the 685s but still felt the CM5 were better. I will test them again.

So just for the CM5 and CMC, it would cost me S$3.25k.

Then have to add a pair of MT1 for rears and the PV1 sub

Option 2 is to go for the full MT30, but upgrade a pair of M1s to the 685 while keeping the M1 centre, which will be just be a mere $200 extra.

The above exc receiver.

I am agonising, cos its quite a bit to spend on the CM5 and CMC...

Any other systems you think i should try? There are so many out there, so looking at some suggestions to help me narrow the options.

thank you once again.

So many gd as well as bad reviews on this KDk Baby fan.....decided to buy one & hopefully electrician will be able to install one this week for me to try out before I decide to get 2 more for other 2 rooms.

Got it from JB. Cost is RM316 & customs did not tax me. Heard cheapest in SG is S$160...so save about S$24 for me.

I also got the Kdk 5 bladed one....think is V60wK model, JB call this Sensa 5. Price is Rm$555. SG is probably S$392..so more savings for this fan.

Will be installed at my hall.

The Tampoi lighting center has alot of fans....Elmark,Alpha,Kdk,the sunflower..etc. Price is slightly higher than the Kdk fan I got from a electrical shop.

Tampoi quoted me 588 for the Sensa 5.....so its Rm33 more here.

They also sell alot of lights.....a downlight cost is about Rm34 each w/o bulbs......so quite abit of savings if get ur lights from here.

Bro,

I'm also looking for a B&W system thinking of the 685 set w M1 rears n htm62 center

No matter what you decide I suggest just go down to expertsgroup speak to kenny or whoever he will be able to quote a price you might b pleasantly surprised .

I think you would want to spend on a prominent center speaker - very essential for theater. I doubt its too much more.

Sub -well I think even if u save and go down to the asw610 I doubt you'd tell the big difference except the price savings

IMHO of cos

Option 2 is to go for the full MT30, but upgrade a pair of M1s to the 685 while keeping the M1 centre, which will be just be a mere $200 extra.

The above exc receiver.

Any other systems you think i should try? There are so many out there, so looking at some suggestions to help me narrow the options.

thank you once again.

I think the experts have a 600 series HTS package. using the 686 as rears & HTM61/62 as center.

And if u decided to get the CM, it'll be money well spent & well worth the value.

Cheers

The above exc receiver.

thank you once again.

What is the amp that u will be matching ur cm setup?

first time stepping into this thread.....

Same like insane, moving to new home soon (infact we are neighbour).....lol.....HT system will be my last item to buy, but have been looking around for some time.

Originally thinking of getting the B&W 800 Series HT but it seems like a little out of my budget. Then found Monitor Audio speakers, below is what i plan to go for.

AVR: Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha (not confirm the model yet. price range less than 1K)

Front, Center, Rear : 3 pairs x MA R90HD ($500 each pair)

Sub: RXW12 (as reconmend by the sales) ($1500)

If budget allow

Front and rear: RX1 x 2pairs (~$950 each pair, gloss finish)

Center: RX Center

Sub: RXW12

Dream (Still pending for WAF)

Front: RX6 (~$1500 a pair)

Rear: RX1

I need some expert advice:

AVR

- From this thread i saw that Onkyo 608 Audio calibration does not include SW. May i know any AVR include all speaker? (base on above brand)

SW

- The sales recommended RXW, if i replace it with Velody or SVS will it be better? (cos 1.5K for the sub is a bit high leh)

Thank you.

Information Sharing

Monitor Audio website http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products

KEC Promotion price http://www.hifibargain.com/promo.html

first time stepping into this thread.....

Same like insane, moving to new home soon (infact we are neighbour).....lol.....HT system will be my last item to buy, but have been looking around for some time.

Originally thinking of getting the B&W 800 Series HT but it seems like a little out of my budget. Then found Monitor Audio speakers, below is what i plan to go for.

AVR: Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha (not confirm the model yet. price range less than 1K)

Front, Center, Rear : 3 pairs x MA R90HD ($500 each pair)

Sub: RXW12 (as reconmend by the sales) ($1500)

If budget allow

Front and rear: RX1 x 2pairs (~$950 each pair, gloss finish)

Center: RX Center

Dream (Still pending for WAF)

Front: RX6 (~$1500 a pair)

Rear: RX1

I need some expert advice:

AVR

- From this thread i saw that Onkyo 608 Audio calibration does not include SW. May i know any AVR include all speaker? (base on above brand)

SW

- The sales recommended RXW, if i replace it with Velody or SVS will it be better? (cos 1.5K for the sub is a bit high leh)

Thank you.

Information Sharing

Monitor Audio website http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products

KEC Promotion price http://www.hifibargain.com/promo.html

You came to the right place.

Firstly look at yamaha recivers if u needed SW calibration. For onkyo, i can think of Onkyo 707 that does multi EQ.

Yes, replace sub with velodyne or SVS or Paradigm. You not only feel the difference, but your neighbor would too :D

Ive no problems with MA. Theyre pretty good atcually. But of coz if u have the budget, go for B&W.

cheers

You came to the right place.

Firstly look at yamaha recivers if u needed SW calibration. For onkyo, i can think of Onkyo 707 that does multi EQ.

Yes, replace sub with velodyne or SVS or Paradigm. You not only feel the difference, but your neighbor would too :D

Ive no problems with MA. Theyre pretty good atcually. But of coz if u have the budget, go for B&W.

cheers

Thanks Vicenzo for the advice.

Ah~~ at least now a bit relieve no need to stick to MA Sub liao....there should be about 200-300 savings there.

WAF, she still can accept the RX6, but the B&W floor stander is "fatter" than the MA. She wont pass it.....lol.....

Bookshelf wise

For MA, WAF can accept the gloss finishing

For B&W, not sure got gloss finishing or not

Just asking: Is B&W 685 comparable with MA RX1? (I know, have to hear it myself, i will do that, just see if anyone compare it before and i can have some guideline from there)......

Thanks Vicenzo for the advice.

Ah~~ at least now a bit relieve no need to stick to MA Sub liao....there should be about 200-300 savings there.

WAF, she still can accept the RX6, but the B&W floor stander is "fatter" than the MA. She wont pass it.....lol.....

Bookshelf wise

For MA, WAF can accept the gloss finishing

For B&W, not sure got gloss finishing or not

Just asking: Is B&W 685 comparable with MA RX1? (I know, have to hear it myself, i will do that, just see if anyone compare it before and i can have some guideline from there)......

Whats with u guys with WAF? Theyre paying for it ah?

Next time, bring THE Wife for auditioning! I got some strange couples who tried to pair POD Speakers (4 ohm rated)

with a prestige defTech center speakers (8 ohm rated)

Is 685 comparable with RX1? I think not. MA sounded too hollow for me. i prefer a full bodied amplification & guitar plucking

must resonate as clear as metal to glass. RX1 power handling is only 80W (6 Ohm rated). Even B&W's M1 satelitte speakers packs

a mighty punch at 100W (8 ohm rated)

So the 685 is altogether a different class. The B&W M1 speakers have a great WAF. Do check it out.

Then again, its just my opinion.

cheers