Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Im of the opinion that Wharfedale's sound is a bit muffled. But if u like what u hear,

dont let me stop u.

But theyre good for music listening though esp bassy type.

cheers

Probably I like warmer sound :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Probably I like warmer sound :)

Warmer sound - do audition Monitor Audio or B&W speakers. I can 100% guarantee

these 2 brands can out-audiophile Whardale.

I happened to own Wharfdale when theyre used to be made from England. Nowadays

its made in China. Their quality is really compromised.

cheers

Bro'

what receiver are u using? Ensure the room is silent when doing calibration.

cheers

using onkyo 608. ya, i closed all windows and doors, drew all curtains. even tried suppressing my cough when the calibration is on-going...haha

Avoid Jamo.

Yes, do check out at Adelphi with your given budget. A lot of bros here are DefTech owners.

Cheers

may i know why Jamo is not recommanded?

hi all,

been reading this thread closely as i am also shopping around for a HTS.

i have a Harmon Kardon 5.1 system currently (AVR330 + 5 satellites) straight out of the box.

i was looking at the B+W MT-30, but really liked the CM5s when I went to test the B+W system.

Was recommended that if I wanted the CM5s, I'd have to do significant upgrade to the following:

CM5 front

CMC centre

MT1 surround

PV1 sub

Any views on the above? Does the CM5/CMC actually combine well with the MT1?

The above setup is actually a bit of of a stretch for my budget... any other recommendations I can test?

Which AVR is good to go with the above?

Cheers!

hi all,

been reading this thread closely as i am also shopping around for a HTS.

i have a Harmon Kardon 5.1 system currently (AVR330 + 5 satellites) straight out of the box.

i was looking at the B+W MT-30, but really liked the CM5s when I went to test the B+W system.

Was recommended that if I wanted the CM5s, I'd have to do significant upgrade to the following:

CM5 front

CMC centre

MT1 surround

PV1 sub

Any views on the above? Does the CM5/CMC actually combine well with the MT1?

The above setup is actually a bit of of a stretch for my budget... any other recommendations I can test?

Which AVR is good to go with the above?

Cheers!

CM series speakers are acoustically good for music listening. It may over stretch the system if youre into home

thearter. Nevertheless, u could opt for the 600 series B&W speakers to match with the M1 surrounds.

For CM speakers, the matching amp would be those above 100W eg Yamaha 1065 or the Onkyo 707/708.

How much were u quoted for the CM speakers?

Cheers

Vince, if I were to go for the 685 or 684 as Fronts and MT1 as Rears and 62 as center Would u suggest the Yamaha 1065 or the Onkyo 708 as amp

Both receivers quoted are applicable. The 708 is HDMI 1.4 compliant.

cheers

CM series speakers are acoustically good for music listening. It may over stretch the system if youre into home

thearter. Nevertheless, u could opt for the 600 series B&W speakers to match with the M1 surrounds.

For CM speakers, the matching amp would be those above 100W eg Yamaha 1065 or the Onkyo 707/708.

How much were u quoted for the CM speakers?

Cheers

thanks!

i would say my sound system would probably be 60% movie vs 40% music.

personally i found the CM5 better than 685 for music, but could not tell the diff for movie.

i could opt for a pair of 685 upgrade on the MT-30 for a small price, but the CM5s and CMC would cost me another 3.25k to upgrade.

that's why i'm mulling it over before i decide. also want to look at other options.

how impt is the amp? i hope i don't have to spend another 1k or 2k on the amp?

then have to add the cables and speaker stand... whew... sweat!

thanks!

personally i found the CM5 better than 685 for music, but could not tell the diff for movie.

i could opt for a pair of 685 upgrade on the MT-30 for a small price, but the CM5s and CMC would cost me another 3.25k to upgrade.

that's why i'm mulling it over before i decide. also want to look at other options.

Onkyo 708 is in the region of $12xx :rolleyes:

thanks!

can u keep the M1 for center, it might save u some money

amp is very imp, i think bro vince is the expert to recommend a better amp for your setup. cheers :)

Sorry TS borrow your thread..

I'm a noob at HT and I'm on the verge of getting a new receiver again since my pioneer vsx917 hdmi output causes some intermitten problem.

Could anyone be kind enough to suggest what receivers I shd look at since I have very little time to research on them. Although I have an Onlyo SR608 in mind, I would like to know if this receiver is really worth with the added features or are there any better alternatives? My budget would not go higher than an SR608. Hope to go adelphi after some replies here.. My set up includes a Panasonic PY-700, PS3 slim and Mordaunt Short Alumni speakers. Was quite happy with the pioneer but no hdmi audio support.

Edited by the_Fall3N

can u keep the M1 for center, it might save u some money

amp is very imp, i think bro vince is the expert to recommend a better amp for your setup. cheers :)

Errr....if dardydar intends to get the CM series, its best to stay this course & use the M-1 as rears only.

If he's decided to get the 600 series, there's the HTM62 as a center speaker. Likewise keep the M-1 as rears.

Only MT20,25 & 30 make full use of the 5.1 HTS in the B&W series for satelitte speakers.

cheers