Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

For your DefTech 600 i recommend u go with Velodyne 8Q or SVS's PB12 NSD.

If u dont like the SVS sub, I'll nick it from u.

Cheers

Hi Vic,

Sorry, I dun understand by "I'll nick it from you"...dun mind can explain the lingo???

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Thanks for advice.

Dunno leh... like the deisgn of Beosound3200.

Beolab5 speakers looks good.

Any recommendations?

Any other brands that looks really good in design? I am architetural freak.

I already have a bose lifestyle for music so dun want another bose again.

mayb u wanna try the anthnoy gallo speakers? small n round in shape. gd design speakers r usually the sats, n they arent cheap..

mayb u wanna try the anthnoy gallo speakers? small n round in shape. gd design speakers r usually the sats, n they arent cheap..

Will look it up thanks

Hi bros and vicenzo70,

I am going to renovate my new apartment very soon and thinking of getting a decent HTS to blend. My WAF wanted a Bose 48 because of the small jewel cube speakers. But after going through this forum, I managed to convince her that it is not worth going for a overprice 6k Bose for the overated sound quality.

My new living room is rather small, so I'm looking for something small (just to keep it close to BOSE size that my wife wanted). My budget is around 4k for everything in (av receiver, speakers, sub, region free player, power amps-if require, cabling, etc)

Kindly give some advice on which combo is harmonous for 60% music & 40% movies:

AV Receiver : Yamaha or Onkyo (Which model)

Speakers : KEF-KHT3005SEW w/HTB2SE-W, B&W MT30 or Tannoy Areana

Sub : any recommendation?

Player : OPPO 80/83 or other brand

Any recommendation for a balcony speaker?

Would appreciate if get give an estimate of the components cost so that I know how to bargain. Tks in advance.

good that u give bose a miss.... dun be fooled by their demo room when u step into their showroom... the accoustic treatment and ambience done there costs a bomb.... and dun expect their system to sound as great in your living room....

Hi bros and vicenzo70,

I am going to renovate my new apartment very soon and thinking of getting a decent HTS to blend. My WAF wanted a Bose 48 because of the small jewel cube speakers. But after going through this forum, I managed to convince her that it is not worth going for a overprice 6k Bose for the overated sound quality.

My new living room is rather small, so I'm looking for something small (just to keep it close to BOSE size that my wife wanted). My budget is around 4k for everything in (av receiver, speakers, sub, region free player, power amps-if require, cabling, etc)

Kindly give some advice on which combo is harmonous for 60% music & 40% movies:

AV Receiver : Yamaha or Onkyo (Which model)

Speakers : KEF-KHT3005SEW w/HTB2SE-W, B&W MT30 or Tannoy Areana

Sub : any recommendation?

Player : OPPO 80/83 or other brand

Any recommendation for a balcony speaker?

Would appreciate if get give an estimate of the components cost so that I know how to bargain. Tks in advance.

i will not recommend MT30 if your requirement is 60% on music. MT30 is great sat speakers sys but not so great for music as for sat speakers, the range is limited. Sorry as i have not audit the rest. I think it is better to audit it yourself.

If it sounded good to you, it is good enough ;)

for music, try (if possible) go at least bookshelf or floorstanding speakers if permitted.

Cheers

i will not recommend MT30 if your requirement is 60% on music. MT30 is great sat speakers sys but not so great for music as for sat speakers, the range is limited. Sorry as i have not audit the rest. I think it is better to audit it yourself.

If it sounded good to you, it is good enough ;)

for music, try (if possible) go at least bookshelf or floorstanding speakers if permitted.

Cheers

Tks Heronspring, if is floor standing speakers which one would you recommend? I might need to convince my wife again by bringing her together for the audition. Ladies usually cannot appreciate big speakers, I will have to impress her with the sound quality. Hopefully the speakers can blend well with the design concept. I will keep my option open before audition. Cheers.

hi all,

decided to ride on this thread as my husband and i (both noobs) are looking for a 5.1 system for our small 3-room flat living room. we were initially looking for a HTiB after listening to the onkyo 3300 system in harvey norman ($959) but decided to do more research as we figured $1k is not a small amount to pay. we then ventured into the sound room at harvey norman millenia walk where the salesman introduced us to onkyo 608 + mirage mx 5.1/jamo speakers. after listening to the onkyo 608 + mirage, our budget skyrocketed to about $3k from the initial $1k o.O

since we now have more budget to play around with, we went down to KEC to audition more avr/speaker combination to try to get more bang for our bucks. we were quite keen on the definitive technology speakers as they seem to be quite highly rated on this forum. the first combi we heard were denon + deftech 800 and to be honest they sounded quite bad to our amateur ears. on the movie it was still passable, but music sounded very fuzzy, no 'omph' and really could not make the cut for us. as we have done some research on the onkyo 608, we requested the speakers to be paired with it and the difference in sound was tremendous! movie sound was much more dynamic, and music was clearer and brighter.

we also tried the onkyo 608 with deftech 600 and found that the 800 was superior in that the back speakers were clearer, and seemed to handle 'layered' sounds from the movie much better. however, we both think that there is something missing from the onkyo 608 + deftech 800 combi, which is why we are still mulling over the purchase. we are not sure if it is the subwoofer that is lacking (we only found out bout this drawback of the deftech 800 speakers after leaving the shop hence we did not request to try the combi with a different sub)

my questions for the experts here would be if a different sub on the above combi will make a significant difference to the sound quality. and if we should audition more avr/speaker combination. we are quite keen on the 608 so we would appreciate if there are any recommendation in speakers that would complement it.

also, i have read that the 608 avr is unable to calibrate the subwoofer automatically. may i know if this is a major problem considering that both my husband and i are noobs in this area? is it worthwhile to upgrade to the 708 avr?

sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice! :)

hi all,

decided to ride on this thread as my husband and i (both noobs) are looking for a 5.1 system for our small 3-room flat living room. we were initially looking for a HTiB after listening to the onkyo 3300 system in harvey norman ($959) but decided to do more research as we figured $1k is not a small amount to pay. we then ventured into the sound room at harvey norman millenia walk where the salesman introduced us to onkyo 608 + mirage mx 5.1/jamo speakers. after listening to the onkyo 608 + mirage, our budget skyrocketed to about $3k from the initial $1k o.O

since we now have more budget to play around with, we went down to KEC to audition more avr/speaker combination to try to get more bang for our bucks. we were quite keen on the definitive technology speakers as they seem to be quite highly rated on this forum. the first combi we heard were denon + deftech 800 and to be honest they sounded quite bad to our amateur ears. on the movie it was still passable, but music sounded very fuzzy, no 'omph' and really could not make the cut for us. as we have done some research on the onkyo 608, we requested the speakers to be paired with it and the difference in sound was tremendous! movie sound was much more dynamic, and music was clearer and brighter.

we also tried the onkyo 608 with deftech 600 and found that the 800 was superior in that the back speakers were clearer, and seemed to handle 'layered' sounds from the movie much better. however, we both think that there is something missing from the onkyo 608 + deftech 800 combi, which is why we are still mulling over the purchase. we are not sure if it is the subwoofer that is lacking (we only found out bout this drawback of the deftech 800 speakers after leaving the shop hence we did not request to try the combi with a different sub)

my questions for the experts here would be if a different sub on the above combi will make a significant difference to the sound quality. and if we should audition more avr/speaker combination. we are quite keen on the 608 so we would appreciate if there are any recommendation in speakers that would complement it.

also, i have read that the 608 avr is unable to calibrate the subwoofer automatically. may i know if this is a major problem considering that both my husband and i are noobs in this area? is it worthwhile to upgrade to the 708 avr?

sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice! :)

I believe the general advice in this thread is to change the sub to Velodyne, SVS or Paradigm subs.

I was also wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to the 708 from the 608. Initially I was looking at the 508, but OH who was initally a Bose and Soundbar fan has recently been converted by me (thank god!)and is now upping the ante (and budget!) after reading all the Onkyo reviews online. Apparently, the 708 has a lot of upgradable options.

May I ask how to Def Tech 600 sounded with the 608? Would a center speaker procinema 1000 make a difference?

I am currently thinking of the Onkyo 608 + Def Tech 600 + Velodyne CHQ8 + OPPO 80, but am afraid of going to Aldephi and getting poisoned!

I believe the general advice in this thread is to change the sub to Velodyne, SVS or Paradigm subs.

I was also wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to the 708 from the 608. Initially I was looking at the 508, but OH who was initally a Bose and Soundbar fan has recently been converted by me (thank god!)and is now upping the ante (and budget!) after reading all the Onkyo reviews online. Apparently, the 708 has a lot of upgradable options.

May I ask how to Def Tech 600 sounded with the 608? Would a center speaker procinema 1000 make a difference?

I am currently thinking of the Onkyo 608 + Def Tech 600 + Velodyne CHQ8 + OPPO 80, but am afraid of going to Aldephi and getting poisoned!

Go get it if u feel like it...

I already purchase my Onkyo 608+Def Tech 600 Frnt and rear, subwoofer+Def Tech 1000 Center combi. Just waiting for my house to be renovated.

The reason on why I choose only to upgrade the center speaker is because it can better handle the vocal part. I am now still considering whether shld I upgrade my subs or not.

Tks Heronspring, if is floor standing speakers which one would you recommend? I might need to convince my wife again by bringing her together for the audition. Ladies usually cannot appreciate big speakers, I will have to impress her with the sound quality. Hopefully the speakers can blend well with the design concept. I will keep my option open before audition. Cheers.

Hi Joewoo,

i was in a situation that is quite close to your's. i have limited range of speaker to recommend you as i have only audited two brands.

B&W and Def T. i tried the procinema 800 to Mytos floorstanding ranges for the Def T and also B&W MT30 to CM9.

i like Def T pricing but we like the B&W 's sound especially when listening to your own CDs. for floorstanding, the ranges are much wider, u or "i" can appreiate the depth of the music. To me, home theater movie sounded almost the same... for both range.

what i did was brought her to audit Def T 1st. let her "hear" the differents between floorstanding vs Sat speaker on music. (not movie)

then brought her to audit B&W. She loved the sound and the rest is history.

if your wife do not like floorstander, then get at least a bookshelf speaker but if your focus becomes movie. Def T p800 will be sufficient, if u like style, go MT30.

that is my experiences with my needs, different person may have different needs.

go audit and it is easily to decide.

bring your own Dvds and Cds.:)