Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vaqui74

Overlay Homogeneous Tiles

Hi all, I would like to know your views about overlaying Homogeneous tiles over ceramic tiles. Currently the flat we bought has ceramic tiles (Living & dining area) and one ID suggested to me to just do overlaying(overlay with Homo tiles) rather than hacking in order to save cost. Whats the pros and cons? Care to share your views on this? Thanks.

Edited by vaqui74

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, thanks for all your replies..Yup I agree, I'm not really so comfortable about overlaying, would prefer to hack. I might be saving some $$$ if I overlay but it might end up as a BIG headache in the long run.

i overlaid the homogeneous tiles in both of my toilets. I shouldn't have done it as I have problem looking for toilet bowl due to the distance between the wall and the toilet hole was too near. I have to paid more for the toilet bowls!

I am currently working as a Project Manager for my dad's renovation firm. We do have clients requesting to do the same thing. However, it is not advisable to save cost by overlaying the homogeneous tiles. Especially wet areas like toilets and kitchens. This will result in leaking to your neighbours below and definitely caused a complaint letter to shoot up. If no post effect, it is a cost saved. However, if *touch wood* anything happened, the cost saved will end up worse off by paying to re-do the tiling and fix up your neighbour's problem.

Please do re-consider the effect and consequences. =)

Cheers,

Arthur Foo Nyuk Fong

Project Manager

Hi Reno_Foo, yup I've thought about it and I'm not doing any overlay, didn't even choose the ID who suggested that we do overlay. I'm all for hacking. thanks fr your concern and advice. Cheers! :good:

I've talked to the person in charge of our estate from the HDB Town Council before. He advised me not to overlay too as he had seen lots of cases of toilets with leaking issues. Better to hack and lay.

hi..reno_foo hmm.. in that case overlaying is only good for single terrence or semi d down floor overlay?.. not for those many floor storey house like condo or apt?

Overlaying (tiolets) always having imperfection in areas like:

1. Floor trap's "neck" - water traps between old & new layer, then smell....

2. Edges along walls - not perfect sealed, water traps in between

3. WC's "neck" misalignment...

4. Water finds its way to stay in broken gaps between tiles, then water......

If die die must do overlay, must do water proofing before overlay.

Edited by bepgof

@ vaqui74: No Prob. Am glad I'm of some help. =)

@ freyl80: As per bepgof has mentioned. In addition, the overlaying tiles will be eating away your available space between your ceiling and flooring (depending on original tiling and overlaid tiles' thickness). Some will feel that that their area will seems to be more confined.

Previously we had a friend who request us to do the hacking and re-laying after 2 years due to improper waterproofing by previous contractor. This friend also did mentioned about the confinement feeling after the overlaying.

Secondly, imagining what if the first layer tiles "pop"? your overlaid tiles will goes "pop" too~ same goes to your wallet as the "pop-ing" of $$$ sound will be heard.. =P

More often than not, it is not recommended to do overlaying. Some contractors will not even provide warranty as overlaying might implicate waterproofing complication. Hope that helps. =)

Regards,

Arthur Foo

Project Manager

Hi all, I would like to know your views about overlaying Homogeneous tiles over ceramic tiles. Currently the flat we bought has ceramic tiles (Living & dining area) and one ID suggested to me to just do overlaying(overlay with Homo tiles) rather than hacking in order to save cost. Whats the pros and cons? Care to share your views on this? Thanks.

Obviously Over-laying is a secondary choice, but if i will to over-lay for my own flooring, i'll check through the entire flooring that to be over-layed and if hollow sound found, i will remove the hollow portion and fill up the parts before over-laying on it, of-cause, i'll always bare in mind that i'll take up the responsibility instead of asking my contractor to responsible for my decision.

Next thing to check is the underneath ceiling, if any water marked was found, just pain pain budget the hacking cost in lah..