Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dexufto

We Live Love Laugh

I am in a dilemma. Should I or shouldn't I install fans as the distance between my floor and the ceiling is only 2.4 metre and I am going to install false ceiling. (The distance between the false ceiling and the ceiling will be 6 inches I think) My main contractor said fans with 3 blades are OK. I wil get a lot of wind. I have no idea. I am not sure whether to believe my contractor or not. Could fellow forumers with fan knowledge/experience please comment. Thanks.

Hi countblessings

why don't u consider doing L box instead of false ceiling? Then the centre portion can be higher, and you can install a ceiling fan? My floor to ceiling height is about 2.5m, and we are using the elmark mini fan. Surprisingly it's quite windy - perhaps bc our rooms are very small. The elmark mini has 5 short blades, despite the length, it is effective - according to salesman, it's the angle in which the blades are positioned.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Please advise, do I need 5 telephone points in a 3-room condo?

Do I have to connect my laptop or computer to the telephone point when I want to access the internet? In my old house (landed), I can access the internet using 5 laptops at the same time without connecting any laptop to the telephone point.

sorry I am also not familiar with the opennet. In my house, we have very basic needs for internet connection - ie just to surf, email etc. so we only have the modem connected to one point, and we can surf anywhere in the house wireless. Of course the speed etc may be compromised, but since we have very basic needs here, it serves us fine.

Dear Manutd1972, Dexufto and Gimz63251073

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for your advice. I appreciate your kindness very much.

My reno started today. I have been very busy today, and am dog-tired now :(

Tomorrow morning someone from Tan Chiang (place where I bot my marble) is coming to measure the floor of my living room, dining room and passage. This is for calculating the size of the marble pieces he will cut from the marble slabs I bought.

The first electrician quoted >$9,000.00. Another electrician is coming tomorrow. He said he can do everything - plumbing, air-con, re-wiring ...

I have not bought my tiles yet, although I have been to a few places. Got to calculate the number of tiles needed and buy them fast.

House Reno is NO JOKE!

wow, looks like you are coordinating everything yourself - no joke! Yr electrical quote seems really high! Have you made comparison with a few others?

marble slabs - wow - can't wait to see - but I'm sure it will burn a really big hole in yr pocket!

All the best in yr reno journey!

Count Blessings, I have SMS you my contacts, I'm sure the other helpful forumers would offer their kind assistance as well.

May I request of you guys to PM countblessings instead of taking it off this thread ;)

Back to the thread;

this week renovation includes

01/12 - laminates work

02/12 - kitchen worktop + glass sliding door installation

03/12 - showerscreen installation + delivery of electrical appliances

04/12 - Tv console/wardrobe installation

:dancingqueen:

Edited by dexufto

301110 Ikea Shopping

I think everyone should have an item from Ikea, most of the stuffs are reasonably priced (though some say that it may not be lasting). We siezed the last day of Nov to purchase some of the bulky items and had them delivered on friday, 3rd Dec (day of delivery of our electrical appliance) to optimise the little number of Leaves I had back at work.

Items purchased includes,

• 1 x MÅNSTAD Corner sofa-bed w storage blue-grey
  • 1 x Deloft glass cabinet
  • 2 x Expedit brown-black
  • 2 x Expedit drawers
  • 4 x Rattan baskets
  • 1x Stall hat rack

Total damage incurred (inclusive of delivery): $1,936.4

To my pleasant suprise; I was presented with $120 of Ikea friends vouchers.

Will be back for more December offers (ps: do check out the daily deals here).

>$9000!!!?? What are u doing tt's costing so much? I've so far only heard of $5000+ for electrical works. $9000 definitely takes the cake, for me.

my reno is completing soon and i'm quite happy wif my electrician's work, helpfulness and quote. very reasonable price and the switches are very nice. using Clipsal aka Schneider Electric's Vivace series. can PM u if u wan his contact.

u dun hv a contractor? u're coordinating ur whole reno urself? why nd to calculate quantity of tiles required and buy them urself?

Sorry dex, OT in ur t-blog.

My electrical works also cost nearly $5000! :o

First quote was like $4.3K, due to many cove lights, socket points, etc. Now, there are more additions: I am paying extra to change all sockets (single and double) to those 2-pin friendly type (initial estimate from electrician is $9 extra for single socket, and $16 more for double sockets). We have previously installed the socket bought from Sheng Siong, the brand name is NCE Advance Electrical, and I pay over $20 for each socket!

I am also getting PE endorsement for the electrical installations.

On top of that, I am asking the electrician to connect the Cat 6 cable to all rooms including additional network cable in the living for future connectivity to the fibre optic terminal box.

301110 Ikea Shopping

I think everyone should have an item from Ikea, most of the stuffs are reasonably priced (though some say that it may not be lasting). We siezed the last day of Nov to purchase some of the bulky items and had them delivered on friday, 3rd Dec (day of delivery of our electrical appliance) to optimise the little number of Leaves I had back at work.

Items purchased includes,

• 1 x MÅNSTAD Corner sofa-bed w storage blue-grey
  • 1 x Deloft glass cabinet
  • 2 x Expedit brown-black
  • 2 x Expedit drawers
  • 4 x Rattan baskets
  • 1x Stall hat rack

Total damage incurred (inclusive of delivery): $1,936.4

To my pleasant suprise; I was presented with $120 of Ikea friends vouchers.

Will be back for more December offers (ps: do check out the daily deals here).

I am also an 'Ikea' fan! As our Ikea furniture was bought less than a year, I am keeping the 2-seater white sofa (my sister will help to give it a thorough cleanse using a type of chemical wash), and one white side board which is my favourite! All things in white is my favourite! :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your complete reno. :D

Dear Manutd1972, Dexufto and Gimz63251073

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for your advice. I appreciate your kindness very much.

My reno started today. I have been very busy today, and am dog-tired now :(

Tomorrow morning someone from Tan Chiang (place where I bot my marble) is coming to measure the floor of my living room, dining room and passage. This is for calculating the size of the marble pieces he will cut from the marble slabs I bought.

The first electrician quoted >$9,000.00. Another electrician is coming tomorrow. He said he can do everything - plumbing, air-con, re-wiring ...

I have not bought my tiles yet, although I have been to a few places. Got to calculate the number of tiles needed and buy them fast.

House Reno is NO JOKE!

I have one contractor whom I almost award my reno work to him. His quote for labour is reasonable. The electrical work he quoted me is also very cheap!

011210 (day 30)

-Laminates installation

DSCN3195.jpg

Why Pergo? (source: floorxpert)

Since 1977, PERGO laminate flooring has offered high-quality, stylish, true look of real wood, tile or stone at an often substantially lower cost to the masses. Its durable and easy-care features of laminate flooring have emerged as one of today's most versatile and popular flooring options.

PERGO laminate flooring consists of a three-layers Aluminium Oxide surfaces as constructed of a protective wear layer over a decorative sheet containing the pattern, which is supported by a two-layers of rigid core body and a bottom balancing layer to help prevent warping. The result is one tough flooring that resists fading, dentation, stains, scratches and moisture. In fact, laminate floors frequently outlast real hardwood floors, tile or stone floors.

PERGO laminate flooring also brings the look of natural hardwood flooring to rooms where the real timber materials could not be used due to its moisture concerns. However, because laminate flooring offer a better moisture and stain resistance than many natural materials and at a lower cost, it creates exciting, new flooring decorative possibilities.

With its 50 years of non-prorated warranty from manufacturer, PERGO laminate floors are also excellent for use in virtually any high traffic areas in both residential and commercial premises.

We've got you covered. My Pergo Family lamimates have arrived, and it took the team of 2 one full day to install the laminates for my Hall and both bedrooms

The choice of our selection are Platinum Teak and Wooden Chocolade

Pergo Family:

• Class of use: 31
  • Warranty: 15 Years (Residential), 2 Years (Commercial)
  • Dimension: 1288mm x 196mm
  • Thickness: 8mm
  • Weight: 7.43kg/m2, 15.0kg/pack, 920kg/pallet
  • Suface: Armed Overlay
  • Suface Texture: Deep Emboss or Normal Texture
  • Core Material: High Density Fibre Board
  • Backing: Melamine Resin Based Balancing Layer
  • Build-in Soundbloc: No
  • Joint: Glue Free Pergo Patent Click System (SmartLock)
  • Joint Sealing: Yes
  • Bevelled Edge: No
  • Formaldehyde Emission: E1

Completed floorworks at the Hall

DSCN3208.jpg

DSCN3204.jpg

Completed floorworks at common room

DSCN3202.jpg

DSCN3201.jpg

I love the way the electrical trunking hug onto the skirting (or is it the other way around) :D

Waaa dexufto, your door very high tech, I like...... Initially, wanted to buy this type of high tech door lock also, but I got a total disapproval from my wife. SIanzz.....

Oh yes, now that sounds so familar, I was in your shoes previously.

I got a violent objection my my missue as well, she finds it attention seeking and no comfortable.

However now that after it is install, she's rather intrigue by it and getting the hang of it.

Being active sports person, i added that we don't have to lug our keys next time should we go for a run or even a ride. :P

Just to share:

given another chance; this would a better manner to install the maingate over the digital lock;

DSCN3198.jpg

Recommendations needed.

Will also be looking into the following works

Will be making of:

1) Rollerblinds/ curtains/ solar flim

2) Retractable laundry system

Any recommendations?

According to some forummers suggestions, will just go for the cheapest blinds/curtains. :)

TIA.

Ritez, answering my own quiries;

A bit of homework;

curtains.jpg

Will be engaging the home classic interior furnishing. The guys will be doing site measurements tomorrow.

Let's see how it goes.

Edited by dexufto

hi dex, i think hdb windows should be pretty standard size. Wouldn't buying off the shelves be cheaper?

:)

i can't really see what u did to the laminate skirting...u mean the trunking is hidden behind the skirting?

flooring can really change the look right! :)

Oh yes, now that sounds so familar, I was in your shoes previously.

I got a violent objection my my missue as well, she finds it attention seeking and no comfortable.

However now that after it is install, she's rather intrigue by it and getting the hang of it.

Being active sports person, i added that we don't have to lug our keys next time should we go for a run or even a ride. :P

have always had this question about keyless system. ok, no key for main door, but what about the gate? You don't lock the gate? and no padlock?

at one stage, we were also debating about getting a digital lock for the maindoor so that we do not need to carry keys around, but since we still need keys for the other two, we sort of concluded that we will still need keys, hence dropped the idea.

Gimz, are you refering to ikea rollerblinds over made to measure?

For 2 reason why made to measure;

1) At $2.99 psf. I think that is as low as it can gets, it amounts to about $200 cmp to $187 should I purchase from Ikea.

2) I have this pretty long stretch of sliding window that measures 2.05m, and the largest Tuppler blind can cover is only till 2m. Hence I would very much love to have one piece of blind that covers the whole area rather than 2 pieces side-by-side with a gap in the middle.

3) quality- tbd

All these are based on my current assumption; will have to go negotate with the curtains installer and see what they have to offer. Will feedback again ;)

Oh, what I meant to say is love the neatness of the whole wall, despite that the electrical trunkings are already laid long time before, the skirting just skim below the trunkings nicely.

hi dex, i think hdb windows should be pretty standard size. Wouldn't buying off the shelves be cheaper?

:)

i can't really see what u did to the laminate skirting...u mean the trunking is hidden behind the skirting?

flooring can really change the look right! :)

Oh yes, it really makes a different and the place is really dusty as you shared.

And I'm a little paranoid about using water to clean up the laminates..

As you can see from the pic; it's still pretty dirty after they sweep up the area..

I do understand what you mean Froggy,

then again, all these locks are just means to delaying entry of any buglary.

Should one really had the intention of breaking into your house, what is there to stop him?

have always had this question about keyless system. ok, no key for main door, but what about the gate? You don't lock the gate? and no padlock?

at one stage, we were also debating about getting a digital lock for the maindoor so that we do not need to carry keys around, but since we still need keys for the other two, we sort of concluded that we will still need keys, hence dropped the idea.

Edited by dexufto

Oh yes, it really makes a different and the place is really dusty as you shared.

And I'm a little paranoid about using water to clean up the laminates..

As you can see from the pic; it's still pretty dirty after they sweep up the area..

the laminates should be able to cleaned with a well-wringed mop. they are built to last with normal floorcare products.... sweeping them (even using Kao Magiclean sheets) will simply push the dust from one area to another without picking them up wor...