Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
TnJ

Floor Plan And Hiring An Id

My condo unit will be ready by end of next year. But I wanted to do some preliminary planning for furnishing/renovating the unit. I only have a basic floor plan without detailed room sizes.

1. With this basic floor plan, will any ID/renovation company be able to give a design proposal with estimates?

2. Is it too early to go to an ID at this stage?

3. When is the detailed floor plan with accurate room sizes given?

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
My condo unit will be ready by end of next year. But I wanted to do some preliminary planning for furnishing/renovating the unit. I only have a basic floor plan without detailed room sizes.

1. With this basic floor plan, will any ID/renovation company be able to give a design proposal with estimates?

2. Is it too early to go to an ID at this stage?

3. When is the detailed floor plan with accurate room sizes given?

Thanks.

So kiasu, wait for TOP first lah, still need to wait for your turn to be called up to collect keys. No detailed fl plan will be given. Have to more or less put in the dimensions here & there yourself after measurement. When get key, then call ID to see the actual and make proposal, minimum reno needed for condo, like lighting, false ceiling, some capentry....

Check and submit defects report get them rectified, if any, first hor, before reno starts.

Edited by bepgof

Hi bepgof,

Thanx! Actually I was worried 'coz some people told me that u must plan well in advance and being a 1st time home owner, I don't know must about these things, so thought I better get some background work done.

Ok, so looks like I just have to wait until I collect my keys. :)

Hi bepgof,

Thanx! Actually I was worried 'coz some people told me that u must plan well in advance and being a 1st time home owner, I don't know must about these things, so thought I better get some background work done.

My opinion differs... Here's how I managed my last renovation on a brand new condo.

1) Get ID and design done on the floor plan. Most IDs can estimate the size and dimensions based on a draft plan. This is because size of certain items like doors are pretty standard and they use these to estimate and project the rest of the dimensions.

2) Complete layout planning, electrical plans, lighting plan, design of built in cabinets, beds, etc. It will take several rounds of revisions to get to a level where you are satisfied with.

3) Get cost estimates from the ID or from a tender process (if you are using a fee based ID). If tender is used, it can take a while to negotiate and revise plans to meet your budget.

3) Once you get keys, both ID and contractor go in to make measurements to confirm the plans. If you have a competent ID and developer, the initial estimates should be close but still worth to walk in and visually see the space as planning on paper can be different from physically seeing the place.

4) After tweaking of plans, you can start work.

5) A good time to buy loose furniture though imported pieces usually have a few months of waiting time. You can shorten this by buying earlier but have to take the risk of buying without actually seeing the physical size of your layout.

You can of course wait until you get your keys before starting even step one, it will just take longer to complete the reno and your house will be left empty for a longer period. This is a low risk way to manage the whole process and get more of the planning up front.

Hi bepgof,

Don't mention. What kardtoon mentioned also true. By now you should know the S &P, and try to have concepts of what you want to reno even before getting key/card. About 1 or 2 months before get key/card (depend on total unit of the condo, may take quite a while to be yr turn to be called up to receive key, aft TOP, can always call up yr lawyer to check the status, or can ask him to expedite the process), get quotes from reno firms (try limit to 3 max).

Also download, print & read this, sure help you in understanding your new envionment.

http://www.bca.gov.sg/BMSM/others/strata_living.pdf

Edited by bepgof

My opinion differs... Here's how I managed my last renovation on a brand new condo.

1) Get ID and design done on the floor plan. Most IDs can estimate the size and dimensions based on a draft plan. This is because size of certain items like doors are pretty standard and they use these to estimate and project the rest of the dimensions.

2) Complete layout planning, electrical plans, lighting plan, design of built in cabinets, beds, etc. It will take several rounds of revisions to get to a level where you are satisfied with.

3) Get cost estimates from the ID or from a tender process (if you are using a fee based ID). If tender is used, it can take a while to negotiate and revise plans to meet your budget.

3) Once you get keys, both ID and contractor go in to make measurements to confirm the plans. If you have a competent ID and developer, the initial estimates should be close but still worth to walk in and visually see the space as planning on paper can be different from physically seeing the place.

4) After tweaking of plans, you can start work.

5) A good time to buy loose furniture though imported pieces usually have a few months of waiting time. You can shorten this by buying earlier but have to take the risk of buying without actually seeing the physical size of your layout.

You can of course wait until you get your keys before starting even step one, it will just take longer to complete the reno and your house will be left empty for a longer period. This is a low risk way to manage the whole process and get more of the planning up front.

So in your opinion, when is it a good time to start the process ie. Step 1? TOP is expected only in Q4 of next year.

Also download, print & read this, sure help you in understanding your new envionment.

http://www.bca.gov.sg/BMSM/others/strata_living.pdf

Will read the pdf, its a long one!

I found it very surprising that detailed floor plans with measurements are not given. I assumed that I will get one alongwith the keys. With no accurate measurements, everything that is designed by ID/contractor is always going to be an estimate, which means that after getting the keys, there is always going to be another round of measuring and adjusting the design. Hopefully this is only minimal, from whatever I have read so far.

Phew!!

Will read the pdf, its a long one!

I found it very surprising that detailed floor plans with measurements are not given. I assumed that I will get one alongwith the keys. With no accurate measurements, everything that is designed by ID/contractor is always going to be an estimate, which means that after getting the keys, there is always going to be another round of measuring and adjusting the design. Hopefully this is only minimal, from whatever I have read so far.

Phew!!

If not mistaken, the "strata" concept was "copied" from Australia, each condo has a Plan number. The "town council" concept for HDB don't know copied from where, anyone care to enlighted?

My was from Allgreen, confirmed no "detailed floor plan with dimension". A detailed floor plan with dimension is only good for asking quotations here & there, other than this, no use at all.

You have to try all ways & means to find out when the TOP is obtained - When you see the workers start planting glass/flower/tree = pretty close. When you receive letter from lawyer firm informing you WHEN to collect key already "too late". Anyway, reno is quite minimal for condo, unless you knock down this & that. Carpentry works take quite sometime. Avoid reno ~2 months before CNY, take this advise seriously, hope other forumers can answer this, to make this thread more lively.

Edited by bepgof

for my condo 5 years ago, we engaged an ID before TOP. I think they can do a pretty well with the floorplan.

The floorplan I got was pretty accuate. Anyway the design doesnot require 100% accuracy. +-5% who cares.

Ok, looks like I don't need to bother too much about detailed floor plans.

From what I've read so far, it appears that just around 3 mths before I get the key, I can probably start scouting for good contractors/ID. I plan to move in as soon as I get the keys ... no point continuing to stay in rental place and pay rent. Besides, as I don't plan on doing any reno, just adding furniture and a few shelves here and there, I think just a getting a good contractor should do.

What do you people think?

Ok, looks like I don't need to bother too much about detailed floor plans.

From what I've read so far, it appears that just around 3 mths before I get the key, I can probably start scouting for good contractors/ID. I plan to move in as soon as I get the keys ... no point continuing to stay in rental place and pay rent. Besides, as I don't plan on doing any reno, just adding furniture and a few shelves here and there, I think just a getting a good contractor should do.

What do you people think?

This time correct already lah!, don't forget the lighting. Some furnitures need to book in advance (2 months should be ok).

Edited by bepgof

This time correct already lah!, don't forget the lighting. Some furnitures need to book in advance (2 months should be ok).

Ok, thanks :)

Was hoping that more forummers would respond and maybe someone who was in the same boat as me (a little apprehensive, little clueless!!) would share their experiences. :unsure:

Ok, thanks :)

Was hoping that more forummers would respond and maybe someone who was in the same boat as me (a little apprehensive, little clueless!!) would share their experiences. :unsure:

What we think is not important. If you had lost touch about reno, best is to look around first.

At least, you know what you want. Most of time lost is not knowing which theme and best lifestyle

suits you. Once, you know what you want, selection of ID and work description is more well define.

Sometimes looking for your ideal tap can take you months :)

Actually, if your is new condo, I think most of the reno is already there. Don't waste so much money on reno. Use for like 5~6 years, make existing reno worth, then do more details reno, after you know what you want. Spend wisely, I prefer to spend more on my furnishing, especially my BED :)

Let me clarify ... what I meant when I said I expected more forummers to respond is ... I was hoping someone who is or has been in a similar situation as me (bought new condo, have very little reno work to do, etc. etc.) shares his/her experiences on how they managed everything either thru contractor/ID or on their own. I could learn a lot from these experiences.

Agree with you 'Warrior88' ... mostly ;)

I haven't lost touch with reno, I will be a home-owner for the 1st time, hence the apprehension. Agree with your comments that there's no point in wasting money on reno for a new condo. I am totally in favour of moving in as-is. The barebones stuff that I will absolutely need really are just Lights, Living and Bedroom Furniture and maybe a couple of storage cupboards/shelves in the bathroom and yard areas. I do not have any experience managing contractors hence was intially wondering if I need to hire an ID who will be my single point of contact for managing everything. But in my case, it will probably be a wasteful expenditure since I pretty much know what kind of furniture I want and have very little reno work.

All I actually need is a lighting design expert and someone who can give me some creative ideas on doing up the place (needless to add, at a minimal cost!!). Perhaps you folks can help? :unsure::dunno:

All I actually need is a lighting design expert and someone who can give me some creative ideas on doing up the place (needless to add, at a minimal cost!!). Perhaps you folks can help? :unsure::dunno:

You can try buying some reno books or read them from the national library. There are good ideas that you can adopt and adapt for your house. When you want to think about lights, you may also start to think about electrical wiring, switches, etc... When you buy lights, you can get the light supplier to help you fix the light for you.

Cheers!