Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fisbike

What Type Of Roof Is Better?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Tile or ??? What are their adv or disadv?

Tiled roofs need a steeper incline than metal roofs, or they may let in water.

Re-roofing is easier with metal roof after 15 years... just lay the new metal roof on top of the old one. No need to remove tiles.

Metal roofs need proper protection or they rust. Unless they're aluminium.

Metal roofs are lighter in weight and hence, the structural works need not support that much weight.

Roof tile insulate heat better , metal roof is noisy when it rains, hence changing all my metal roof to tile.

Metal roofing should have a layer of heat and noise insulation underneath so it shouldn't really matter. If you are experiencing noise and heat issues, suggest you get a professional to check fi your roof is properly installed.

Biggest disadvantage of metal roof is the cost, it's higher. However the overal weight is lower and you should be able to save on other structural elements if you are reconstructing.

Here are some links..

http://www.builderswebsource.com/techbriefs/metalroofing.htm

http://www.essortment.com/articles/metal-roof-home_1636.htm

Edited by kardtoon

Roof tile insulate heat better , metal roof is noisy when it rains, hence changing all my metal roof to tile.

Good to hear an actual user's experience. Can I ask whether your ceiling is just under the roof and follows its angle? ie, not the flat ceiling type with lots of airspace between ceiling and roof. Reason I ask is that I understand the best insulation is the airspace.

But if your ceiling follows your roofline, do you know what insulation was used? I am told that properly insulated, it should be just as effective as a tiled roof with proper insulation. Meaning no difference with a tiled roof. But if you know that it is properly insulated, yet it is hotter inside than a tiled roof and the rain noise coming in DIRECTLY through the ceiling is worse, then it seems like metal roof is worse in these respects.

Another thing about the sound that I'd like to find out more from you. Do you find that when it rains, there is sound that comes from outside through the window? I wonder if windows are left slightly open whether the sound comes through to disturb. Some tell me yes, some tell me no. What is your experience?

My previous architect (the crooked one) told me that metal roofs are more expensive. My current architect (the efficient one) tells me that the metal roofs are cheaper.

I reckon that the overall costs of laying a tiled roof are greater because it requires some skilled labour over more days to install. Material costs are less but given the high labour costs in Singapore, I reckon it all comes up to be higher. I also think that builders like to recommend tiled roofs because they get to lay it themselves (especially if they have a permanent team to do concrete and tile and structure etc... Roof tiling is business that the contractor earns without sub-contracting to a specialized metal roofer.

If you double layer the insulation, it should not be noisy... I don't think. And some of the houses at Sentosa Cove I am told, have metal roofs (high end ones like Kalzip that won't rust in the sea air).

But hey... all my knowledge is theoretical at present. I can't say for sure until my house with metal roof is done and I move in. But I do know that it is cheaper.

Good to hear an actual user's experience. Can I ask whether your ceiling is just under the roof and follows its angle? ie, not the flat ceiling type with lots of airspace between ceiling and roof. Reason I ask is that I understand the best insulation is the airspace.

But if your ceiling follows your roofline, do you know what insulation was used? I am told that properly insulated, it should be just as effective as a tiled roof with proper insulation. Meaning no difference with a tiled roof. But if you know that it is properly insulated, yet it is hotter inside than a tiled roof and the rain noise coming in DIRECTLY through the ceiling is worse, then it seems like metal roof is worse in these respects.

Another thing about the sound that I'd like to find out more from you. Do you find that when it rains, there is sound that comes from outside through the window? I wonder if windows are left slightly open whether the sound comes through to disturb. Some tell me yes, some tell me no. What is your experience?

Hi Jason,

The insulation comprising of high quality wool and aluminium sheet should provide some relief and insulation against rain drop noise and heat from the sun. Typically for newly constructed houses, the "airspace" between ceiling and roof is quite short. The little space doesn't really make much difference. Usually the older single storey houses have larger "airspace". The reasons for this is another explanation.

If you wish to reduce sound entering from the window (ie from rain or outside traffic), you may want to consider installing sound proof windows and walls. This would significantly reduce the sound from outside. As for the roof, I think both metal roof and tile roof with insulation can still be quite noisy when it pours.

I find that the younger people prefer metal roof because of its aesthetic nature such as being able to bent into a curve, unlike tile roof. Metal roof provides the opportunity for homeowners to design a more innovative roof. Tile roof on the other hand is very durable (lasting 50 years or more if you use high quality German tiles) and the design is quite timeless. Although I feel that both are good options, I actually prefer concrete roof. Having a concrete roof means that I can use the roof to plant greens (grass and plants) to make the house more eco-friendly, in addition to the ease of installing and servicing roof top water tank and solar panels (if any).

Cheers!

I can hear it as i leave my window and sliding door open as the rain doesn't get in. But this roof which I'm going to replace is rather old.

Suppose that can't be helped. Noise thru the window, I think that tiled roof will give less noise than metal roof.

But thru the ceiling, if you hear anything, think it might be not properly insulated.

I like the look of a tiled roof, but believe when it comes to water-tightness, the metal roof will give less problems than a tile roof. Unless you somehow suffer a puncture in the metal roof, I don't see how it can leak. But tiled roof like sooner or later will leak. I have no evidence to back all this up, just my feel, that's all.

Interesting that petunia is getting metal cheaper than tiles, cos the few I've asked all quoted more for metal roof.

Suppose that can't be helped. Noise thru the window, I think that tiled roof will give less noise than metal roof.

But thru the ceiling, if you hear anything, think it might be not properly insulated.

I like the look of a tiled roof, but believe when it comes to water-tightness, the metal roof will give less problems than a tile roof. Unless you somehow suffer a puncture in the metal roof, I don't see how it can leak. But tiled roof like sooner or later will leak. I have no evidence to back all this up, just my feel, that's all.

Interesting that petunia is getting metal cheaper than tiles, cos the few I've asked all quoted more for metal roof.

There are different grades of metal roof such as galvalume steel which is made from aluminium and zinc alloy, acryzinc sheet steel, hot-dip galvanized sheet and simply zinc. Hence, the reason for the difference in pricing.

The quality of German tiles is very high compared with many other types of roof tiles. The risk of leaking is very slim for German roof tile when they are properly installed. The inter-locking design of high quality German tile versus those that are made in inferior quality places can be very different. Those poorly design roof tiles tend to leak because small quantity of water can get into the building through gaps between the roof tiles especially during heavy rainstorm.

I have also seen leaking metal roof due to rust in areas where screws were used to secure metal sheets together. Anyway, with proper installation, high quality metal roof should also be very lasting. :)

What is the consideration between a flat clay shingle roof tile and S clay shaped roof tiles for the choice of roofing tiles for a terrace house sloping roof?

-which type is more expensive?

-Use e.g. water run off, groove system, weather proofing? Which type is better for use?

-durability in terms of long term maintenance or replacement

What is the consideration between a flat clay shingle roof tile and S clay shaped roof tiles for the choice of roofing tiles for a terrace house sloping roof?

-which type is more expensive?

-Use e.g. water run off, groove system, weather proofing? Which type is better for use?

-durability in terms of long term maintenance or replacement

Generally, s-shape (pantile) or canal tiles are better for tropical countries where we have lots of rain. The interlocking design helps prevent water seepage. Flat clay tiles are not so common here. S-shaped tiles can be more durable too in terms of its strength.

Metal Roofing is better then other roofing system because it has many advantages, metal has more stability with compare to other roofing material. It is energy efficient. Metal Roofing save money and time because new metal roof up on a house or building in half the time a composite roof will take.

Hi all,

Has anyone used Lysaght metal roofs? The builder says that it's becoming more popular and they come with 6 layers of insulation which helps reduce noise from rain. Thx!