Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kalimantan

Wow, Really So Many Rich People Here ...

Usually i will comment on the fs section only, but sometimes i will go other section like private property, etc to see what others wrote.

i ask myself one question : are there really many rich people in this forum ?

I look at those private property forum and for renovation, especaiialy on landed property, they can tear down and rebuilt and willing to plonked another 200k to 500k or to 1m just for some engineering / architechture work. And for other sections, there are one with 1.6m thread which i wonder how the person get it. My renovation budget never exceeds $10k (call me cheapo)

No no, to me not jealousy, but really really really curious ....

Last Sat, i went to jurong lakeside mrt, there is a launch of private property and the psf is over $1k. I myself cannot afford it, and i wonder others "how they do it" ?

I m just a salary worker, and i consider myself very lucky to have a hdb + private property. I got my hdb when i earn a pathetic $3k+ per month during 1999. Then private property - i got it during SARS period which is a bargain. 648k for a 1500 freehold ! Nowadays where got this price ?

I simply cannot afford another one with just my current pay. I even told myself i m a savvy investor already (buy trusts fund each month consistenly, not even own a car) I wonder how to catch-up with those people who can plonk millions without thinking ...

TEll me, are they really rich or am i missing out something in my life to be like them ? Is it necessary to "sell whatever you have", then buy big bigger ones ? Everything i buy is always 2nd hand onwards, i never had a chance to buy something 1st hand (eg go to some condo launch and buy on the spot)

Or i need an expert to unlock my bazi and ask me to "stop dreaming and be contented in my life" :unsure:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Usually i will comment on the fs section only, but sometimes i will go other section like private property, etc to see what others wrote.

i ask myself one question : are there really many rich people in this forum ?

I look at those private property forum and for renovation, especaiialy on landed property, they can tear down and rebuilt and willing to plonked another 200k to 500k or to 1m just for some engineering / architechture work. And for other sections, there are one with 1.6m thread which i wonder how the person get it. My renovation budget never exceeds $10k (call me cheapo)

No no, to me not jealousy, but really really really curious ....

Last Sat, i went to jurong lakeside mrt, there is a launch of private property and the psf is over $1k. I myself cannot afford it, and i wonder others "how they do it" ?

I m just a salary worker, and i consider myself very lucky to have a hdb + private property. I got my hdb when i earn a pathetic $3k+ per month during 1999. Then private property - i got it during SARS period which is a bargain. 648k for a 1500 freehold ! Nowadays where got this price ?

I simply cannot afford another one with just my current pay. I even told myself i m a savvy investor already (buy trusts fund each month consistenly, not even own a car) I wonder how to catch-up with those people who can plonk millions without thinking ...

TEll me, are they really rich or am i missing out something in my life to be like them ? Is it necessary to "sell whatever you have", then buy big bigger ones ? Everything i buy is always 2nd hand onwards, i never had a chance to buy something 1st hand (eg go to some condo launch and buy on the spot)

Or i need an expert to unlock my bazi and ask me to "stop dreaming and be contented in my life" :unsure:

i have exactly exactly the same questions as you all this while!!!!!!!!!!!! awaiting someone to enlighten me further!

anyway i think you are savvy enough to invest during SARS. SARS or 9/11 dun happen often, so you are smart, gutsy and quick enough to seize the opportunity. i would think you are just being prudent in your spending. i know of many others who plonk whatever they have into the down payment of private property and just live each day, hoping (and assuming) no big illness or job catastrophe strike them.

I have a friend who does just that, to the extent that both she & her hubby r each left with $10 or so (fr their salary) or so in their bank accounts every month.

They go on bread & instant noodles and have their breakfast & dinner at their inlaws' place for a few years & rented out their flat.

At least u've both got a private property to ur name. I don't even have any! :unsure:

My perspective on the disparity for financial wealth/ status is perhaps not just about hard work and planning. For some, yes, but they might have lady luck smiling on them at the right time. Opportunities for making $$ & optimising that acquired wealth are extremely important. And not everybody is granted that sort of opportunity to do so.

They need to have that sort of "life" (destiny). Some were born into extremely wealthy families where they are destined to be surrounded by $$ all their life. So for them to cough out $1M just to rectify a portion of their home for FS purposes, is no big deal.

I believe in destiny, i.e. 命理 so how much $$ a person is destined to have is more or less fated. There might be a leeway to change things but it is a very tough challenge to do so. There are many factors to consider, some of which are not within our control.

Aside to kalimantan : You don't need any car to get around in Singapore even tho' it might be more convenient if u have ur own transport. Moreover, u have your manual "kah" (meaning "legs" in hokkien) and that's enough to get around the whole of Singapore! :P

And I don't think that $10k for reno is considered cheapo. U r very conservative & wise in ur spending which is good becox $$ is very hard to earn & reno expenditures are sunk cost for me becox u may not be able recover that amount when u sell ur place.

Edited by edenstrauss

You are better than me.

I got my flat post-SARS, so it's still affordable.

2008 saw buying opportunity but flat still under 5 yr holding period, so cannot afford the 5%+15%. Missed the boat.

My consolation is a roof over my head and a big, happy family to come home to.

You will find bliss through contentment. :D

why chase after all these? when we've achieve something, we get happy. but after a while, we're no longer satisfied wif wat we have. we want more. and we den chase after this higher target. there is no end to this. and cos we are always chasing, we will nvr be truly happy.

is all these really that important? if it is to you, so be it. best wishes working hard to try and achieve these aims.

for me, true happiness comes frm being contented in wat i have. enjoying the most of wat i have, and appreciating the rest that life already gives. we entertain ourselves wif our TVs, laptops, game consoles etc. But that also robs us of the time to entertain ourselves wif the things that nature provides.....the flowers, the trees, the birds chirping, the waterfalls, the waves slapping on the shores etc.

no need to compare our lives wif others. trying to achieve for ourselves wat they have. bigger house, bigger cars, bigger condo, landed property. if ur abilities allows u to achieve all these wif an honest 8hrs of work a day, den good for u. enjoy wat ur abilities can bring u. but if not, dun stress urself hankering after all these, working day and nite, just to attain all these.

in the end, when we're on our deathbeds, these things wun sit beside us. these things wun appreciate the life we've led, the love we've lavished on them. and when we've passed, neither will these things grieve for us. but our families and loved ones will. but how will they love us and remember us, when we've never been there for them?

actually i am not chasing these properties . I already 40, the question is "how come people can afford EASILY" while i have to plan CAREFULLY ?

When i buy property, it is always "family first", ie ALL must stay together. I still very traditional thinking.

I am contented person (no longer compeititve, don't bother to do a Master, get a pay cut job, etc), but sometimes i wish to bring all my family members to stay together which translate to a bigger space requirement, but my affordabilty index is low. thus i really pose the questions upfront "why these people can afford easily" ?

When i meet up with my geomancer, i would then ask specific questions to "unlock" what is really available in my life. If looks positive, i will work harder, if don't have, i will take a stroll in my life and focus on other issues then.

truth is that many people out there earn big bucks, legally or illegally, morally or immorally.

If i tell u that u can achieve what you want,i.e. buy more properties, by doing something very immoral --> i often say most bankers selling investments products are immoral. :P (My apologies if i offend anyone here.)

would u want to do it? earn $20k a month by doing something which u are not comfortable with?

In the end, its really what u want. Step on people to gain success only to feel remorseful later? Or look at the rich with envy?

If you don't know what you want, no one can help u.

If you know what you want, you don't need help.

Cheers!

At age of 40. HDB at BBC/300K(1999). HV, f/h/648K(2003). Stock/176K(now).

Bro, your pocket par par. Good portfolio le, what else you've found short of? "Umbrella" too small?

A gentle reminder: We are already "finished" the 1st half match, now into "2nd" half match. No U-turn liao. You've achieved more than "nil" in 1st half match.加油! :horse:

There is no such thing as "how come ppl can afford EASILY" - everything pays: at different price, different timing....you see me good, I see you good....

"All" staying "together" may not be a good thing, most frequenly will have mental stress unecessarily- lots of "music" to hear due to generation gap & value differences. I experienced this.

Always, when don't cherish present till we've lost it then :(

Edited by bepgof

bepgof, your one-liner straight from the heart . I like it.

i will just move on.

I'm crying liao...

Edited by bepgof

I'm crying liao...

I think mainly what we see are on surface la. If u say those are super rich, then I doubt they will come to the forum. I give few example:

1) I got a friend who has all e branded stuff like Burberry, coach etc. She told me she never ever take public transport ever since she started work. Always go to condo showflat to see condo. However, she disclose she has less than $10k savings. Interestingly, on e surface, we take her as super rich but is that true?

2) My ex-classmate didn't even know there is a reno talk forum. During reno, just engage ID and if not happy, sack them and rehire another. He stayed in a 3 storey landed property and work in his dad firm. Ppl take it as he very "mountain tortise" but this is a case of rich but not super rich.

3) Another incident is my classmate friend whose dad is shareholder of listed company. He also rarely visit forums because he can't find time. So if buy wrong things, give sell at 50% off. Haha!

Therefore, like bro bepof says, u see me good, I see u good. Personally, I feel TS already super successful already. One HDB, one condo plus so much cash. Haha! I m in my early 30s also no private property to my name. Haha! Good work TS. Keep it up.

At age of 40. HDB at BBC/300K(1999). HV, f/h/648K(2003). Stock/176K(now).

Bro, your pocket par par. Good portfolio le, what else you've found short of? "Umbrella" too small?

A gentle reminder: We are already "finished" the 1st half match, now into "2nd" half match. No U-turn liao. You've achieved more than "nil" in 1st half match.加油! :horse:

At 40, 1st half match gone liao? I hate to think at the prospect cuz i'm joining the club soon..

不认老也不行了.

At 40, 1st half match gone liao? I hate to think at the prospect cuz i'm joining the club soon..

不认老也不行了.

1. Old chinese saying: 人生七十古来希。

2. Bible said: 我 們 一 生 的 年 日 是 七 十 歲 . 若 是 強 壯 可 到 八 十 歲 . 但 其 中 所 矜 誇 的 、 不 過 是 勞 苦 愁 煩 . 轉 眼 成 空 、 我 們 便 如 飛 而 去 。

The measure of our life is seventy years; and if through strength it may be eighty years, its pride is only trouble and sorrow, for it comes to an end and we are quickly gone.

Actually 35 year old already half liao. I assumed we are the "stronger" ones till 80 le.

Edited by bepgof

1. Old chinese saying: 人生七十古来希。

2. Bible said: 我 們 一 生 的 年 日 是 七 十 歲 . 若 是 強 壯 可 到 八 十 歲 . 但 其 中 所 矜 誇 的 、 不 過 是 勞 苦 愁 煩 . 轉 眼 成 空 、 我 們 便 如 飛 而 去 。

The measure of our life is seventy years; and if through strength it may be eighty years, its pride is only trouble and sorrow, for it comes to an end and we are quickly gone.

Actually 35 year old already half liao. I assumed we are the "stronger" ones till 80 le.

Makes sense :)