Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

Renovation Day 3 (6 April 2011):

The photos were taken this morning.

Woke up early to walk over to my new place to take a better look when there's some lighting...

day%203%20compilation%201.jpg

day%203%20compilation%202.jpg

day%203%20compilation%203.jpg

just came back from my evening class; popped by the place again... hoping to see some more work done...

Not much work done though...

1. Balcony grilles still there

2. Main door entrance still not hacked; though main door & grille removed, and replaced with make-shift doors

3. More materials loaded... place slightly tidied up....

Hopefully they will start with the plastering tmr... will go take pics tmr morning again...

oh well... tiring journey... exams are coming (21 to 28 April)... will be taking leave from 17 April onwards... seems very fast... totally not prepared for my exams this semester... like never study much...

busy with ROM preparation, house renovation, wedding package, etc... and more work and responsibilities in office... deliverables and deadlines due...

it's going to be a tough few months ahead.. can't wait for everything to end..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
YAH... why didn't we choose the similar tiles...? sigh... nvm...

it's plain... but it looks really gd... must be the lighting, the shower area and the potted plant. :)

i also think it's the lighting, the shower screen, and the potted plant.... :lol:

so now you know what you can do for your toilet liao~ ;)

and jia you for your exam :) maybe ask your wife to help in reno? i do think that gals can be "effective" towards contractors in many circumstances, just "deh" a bit and things get going... hahahahaha :lol:

oh well... tiring journey... exams are coming (21 to 28 April)... will be taking leave from 17 April onwards... seems very fast... totally not prepared for my exams this semester... like never study much...

busy with ROM preparation, house renovation, wedding package, etc... and more work and responsibilities in office... deliverables and deadlines due...

Jiayou! You sound low energy now, its just the start, stay positive!! At the end it will be worth it. =)

The HDB officer just called me back this morning.

She said she didn't say can or cannot do; she merely stated that we'll need to adhere to the guidelines.

She added that when conversing with my contractor, my contractor seemed experienced in the way he answers the queries.

And that my contractor is dissuading me from doing so, based on his past experience of potential problems.

When I asked abt the use of EPF for topping up of the bathroom floor. She mentioned that on her own personal renovation experience (not professional capacity), she had asked contractors and done her own research on EPF and that when used to top up bathroom, it is more prone to leaking and that EPF is used more for topping up of kitchen or balcony floor.

Anyway, I'm puzzled if this is the case, why did HDB prescribe it as the only way (and even with technical drawings) of topping up bathroom floor? Doesn't make sense to me.

Either the guideline is outdated (dated Nov 2007), or the tilers' skill or quality of material used then is inferior?

I shall do my own research on EPF.

hmmm... :bangwall:

Or should I let this one pass?

Edited by csingeu

i also think it's the lighting, the shower screen, and the potted plant.... :lol:

so now you know what you can do for your toilet liao~ ;)

and jia you for your exam :) maybe ask your wife to help in reno? i do think that gals can be "effective" towards contractors in many circumstances, just "deh" a bit and things get going... hahahahaha :lol:

Haha.... I agreed!!! Women have this skill that makes things move faster. Hehe...

Renovation Day 3 (6 April 2011):

The photos were taken this morning.

Woke up early to walk over to my new place to take a better look when there's some lighting...

just came back from my evening class; popped by the place again... hoping to see some more work done...

Not much work done though...

1. Balcony grilles still there

2. Main door entrance still not hacked; though main door & grille removed, and replaced with make-shift doors

3. More materials loaded... place slightly tidied up....

Hopefully they will start with the plastering tmr... will go take pics tmr morning again...

Doing Reno and wedding at the same time can be a very tiring event. But look at the brighter side… Hey.. U only tired once! Unlike me, ‘Shiong’ twice for the two events…

Reading thru your posts, your reno journey is rather smooth sailing… except for the drop thingy… Your contractor cld be over caution over the ‘what if later on…’ scenario… Not a bad thing also since he’s trying hard to ensure everything works out swee swee after handover

She said she didn't say can or cannot do; she merely stated that we'll need to adhere to the guidelines.

She added that when conversing with my contractor, my contractor seemed experienced in the way he answers the queries.

And that my contractor is dissuading me from doing so, based on his past experience of potential problems.

When I asked abt the use of EPF for topping up of the bathroom floor. She mentioned that on her own personal renovation experience (not professional capacity), she had asked contractors and done her own research on EPF and that when used to top up bathroom, it is more prone to leaking and that EPF is used more for topping up of kitchen or balcony floor.

Anyway, I'm puzzled if this is the case, why did HDB prescribe it as the only way (and even with technical drawings) of topping up bathroom floor? Doesn't make sense to me.

Either the guideline is outdated (dated Nov 2007), or the tilers' skill or quality of material used then is inferior?

I shall do my own research on EPF.

hmmm... :bangwall:

the HDB officer seems like a nice person... she actually bothered to explain so much to you :)

you might as well read up on EPF when you have time... since you have that in your ground floor WC, rite? and this ground floor WC will be the one that affects your downstairs neighbour, so no harm knowing more~ :)

Haha.... I agreed!!! Women have this skill that makes things move faster. Hehe...

hahahaha i'm sure you're speaking from experience too~ :lol:

Seem like your contractor did call the officer and said a lot of things. That is why she called you this morning....

Well, le it pass lah, would be my advise since you seen some photos of the kerb and you are ok with it..... its not the most important thing in the whole reno.

Seem like your contractor did call the officer and said a lot of things. That is why she called you this morning....

Well, le it pass lah, would be my advise since you seen some photos of the kerb and you are ok with it..... its not the most important thing in the whole reno.

i think she called cos bro cse e-mailed her....

but anyway, the HDB officer, a technical person, pointed out the contractor seems experience... maybe that's a good thing for our bro here :)

Sometimes giving people the benefit of the doubt is the right thing to do which is why I posted my view earlier on. You sound like a well grounded type of guy and I'm sure your instincts to choose your ID/Contractor were sound. I do believe that if your contractor has gone through the time and effort to discuss with the HDB in detail and has demonstrated his expertise it's worth your consideration.

Anyway, you are the guy with the money in his pocket and if you really feel this is a "do or die" aspect of your bathroom then simply propose to him to take this out of the reno budget and ask your relative to do it while of course waiving the right to rectification from your contractor if in the future there are issues. I'm not defending the contractor by the way, just trying to keep your blood pressure down, let you enjoy the reno process (it's costing you a lot of hard earned money after all) and also focus on your upcoming exams (for which I wish you the best of luck and results). Cheers mate...don't sweat the small stuff!

hahahaha i'm sure you're speaking from experience too~ :lol:

LOL... i think if it's my mum... maybe can la...

my wife... still a little "green"... i think we are too nice...

Doing Reno and wedding at the same time can be a very tiring event. But look at the brighter side… Hey.. U only tired once! Unlike me, ‘Shiong’ twice for the two events…

Reading thru your posts, your reno journey is rather smooth sailing… except for the drop thingy… Your contractor cld be over caution over the ‘what if later on…’ scenario… Not a bad thing also since he’s trying hard to ensure everything works out swee swee after handover

Thanks friends78 for your encouragement. Tired and yet excited abt the renovation. Think no matter we want to trust the contractor, as homeowners, we definitely still have to do our due diligence, and raise any defects found, and chase for follow-up.

the HDB officer seems like a nice person... she actually bothered to explain so much to you :)

you might as well read up on EPF when you have time... since you have that in your ground floor WC, rite? and this ground floor WC will be the one that affects your downstairs neighbour, so no harm knowing more~ :)

i think she called cos bro cse e-mailed her....

but anyway, the HDB officer, a technical person, pointed out the contractor seems experience... maybe that's a good thing for our bro here :)

Sometimes giving people the benefit of the doubt is the right thing to do which is why I posted my view earlier on. You sound like a well grounded type of guy and I'm sure your instincts to choose your ID/Contractor were sound. I do believe that if your contractor has gone through the time and effort to discuss with the HDB in detail and has demonstrated his expertise it's worth your consideration.

Anyway, you are the guy with the money in his pocket and if you really feel this is a "do or die" aspect of your bathroom then simply propose to him to take this out of the reno budget and ask your relative to do it while of course waiving the right to rectification from your contractor if in the future there are issues. I'm not defending the contractor by the way, just trying to keep your blood pressure down, let you enjoy the reno process (it's costing you a lot of hard earned money after all) and also focus on your upcoming exams (for which I wish you the best of luck and results). Cheers mate...don't sweat the small stuff!

After much deliberation, despite us wanting to have the step-down shower tray, we decided to listen to the contractor and accept his explanation la.

I'm not too sure if it's the truth, but wet cement when dried, tend to shrink a little, and using EPF together with it, when the cement shrink, there will be slight gaps between the dried cement/concrete and the EPF, and if there's a hole or so in the grout lines, water is likely to leak thru to the gaps between the cement and EPF.

Not too sure if my explanation is 100% correct.

Anyway, if he's not too keen to work on it, and that I have to sign an indemnity form to void my warranty for the bathrooms and to bear all costs in case of any violations, etc... I think I shouldn't push him too hard on that.

I believe he has his legitimate reasons, even if the reason is that his tilers are not skilled enough to do a gd job...

On an afternote, while I visited Linda (mae29)'s place... I realised how her contractor might be able to do it.

Her bedroom to bathroom has a 5-cm drop, and her bathroom to her shower area has a 3-cm drop, and her main floor trap (and drainage pipes) is near the shower area, hence, the water running will flow towards the shower area, and into the main floor trap.

however, for my case, my main floor trap is outside the shower area; there's a need to construct a 2nd floor trap from the shower area, to the main drainage pipe. hence to do the step-down shower tray, he would need to raise the bathroom floor pretty much.... which will definitely violate HDB guidelines.

Nevertheless, bro Soichiro has managed to do so, with 2 floor traps... but his drop difference is ard 1-2 cm only.

In summary, we have decided to do shower kerb, but maybe not a 5-cm kerb... but more like a 3-cm kerb or so...

Kitchen Design v2

kitchen%20design%20v2.jpg

Some changes:

1. Solid Surface wrap-down for the breakfast counter leg

- initially, the leg is supposed to be laminated finish; but so far, I see most people do whole solid surface wrap-down. of coz, there will be some top-up cost for the materials. :(

2. frosted glass cover for the disk rack

- initially, we didn't want to have the frosted glass cover, as it's quite troublesome to open it to put in the dishes everytime.

- but i suppose we won't be cooking everyday (prob just the weekends); hence might be gd to have the glass door to keep the dust out.

3. laminate for bottom kitchen cabinet

- initially, we chose a light grey floor tiles, hence we selected "natural maple" for the bottom cabinet.

- thinking thru, I feel i like something darker or more "cherry"

- plus we changed our kitchen floor tiles to something else (something greyish-brown)

Quick Recap:

kitchen_top_cabinet_laminate_1.JPG

Top cabinet laminate - glossy piano white.

kitchen_bottom_cabinet_tiles_5.JPG

Kitchen wall tiles - 60x30cm glossy white tiles

Kitchen floor tiles - 60x60cm greyish-brown tiles

Counter-top - LG Himacs solid surface "Iceberg"

Bottom cabinet laminate - dark parma walnut (likely to change...)

- wife prefers something more light greyish wood laminate (Cherry Marbella or Legarto Oak); as she feels dark laminates will blend in with the floor and there's no contrast

- I prefer something more darker or more "cherry"; as I feel it goes better with the white solid surface...

Glass backing: likely to be frosted with very slight tinge of cyan, or emerald...

kitchen_bottom_cabinet_tiles_6.JPG

- "Natural Maple" - our original selection; but it looked too light and bland...

- I like "Super Real Walnut" but it does look a little too dark

- "Dark Erable" is like a mix of "Super Real Walnut" & "Flanney Cherry"

- Wife likes "Light Talisa Plum", and we are using it for the vanity counter cabinet; and on after-thoughts, it actually looks something like her current kitchen now; she might change her mind now... hmmm...

I think we are likely to change again, once the kitchen floor tiles are all up, and we have a better sense of the overall colour scheme for the kitchen, and the lighting... but i'm thinking more of "Dark Erable" or even "Flannel Cherry"

Edited by csingeu

MBR Wardrobe Design v1

MBR%20wardrobe%20design%20v1.jpg

Bedroom 2 (aka Guest Room) Wardrobe Design v1

common%20wardrobe%20design%20v1.jpg

- aluminium sliding door with frosted glass panels

- glossy piano white for rest of finishing

MBR Bathroom Design v1

MBR%20bathroom%20design%20v1.jpg

Common Bathroom Design v1

common%20bathroom%20design%20v1.jpg

Quick Recap

bathroom_scheme_3.JPG

Wall Tiles: 60x30cm light grey tiles

Floor Tiles: 30x30cm mid-grey rough tiles

Shower Feature Wall Tiles: 31x56cm Realonda Toronto Antracita

Solid Surface: LG HiMacs "Iceberg"

Cabinet laminate: "Light Talisa Plum"

Kitchen Design v2

kitchen%20design%20v2.jpg

Some changes:

3. laminate for bottom kitchen cabinet

- initially, we chose a light grey floor tiles, hence we selected "natural maple" for the bottom cabinet.

- thinking thru, I feel i like something darker or more "cherry"

- plus we changed our kitchen floor tiles to something else (something greyish-brown)

Quick Recap:

kitchen_top_cabinet_laminate_1.JPG

Top cabinet laminate - glossy piano white.

kitchen_bottom_cabinet_tiles_5.JPG

Kitchen wall tiles - 60x30cm glossy white tiles

Kitchen floor tiles - 60x60cm greyish-brown tiles

Counter-top - LG Himacs solid surface "Iceberg"

Bottom cabinet laminate - dark parma walnut (likely to change...)

- wife prefers something more light greyish wood laminate (Cherry Marbella or Legarto Oak); as she feels dark laminates will blend in with the floor and there's no contrast

- I prefer something more darker or more "cherry"; as I feel it goes better with the white solid surface...

Glass backing: likely to be frosted with very slight tinge of cyan, or emerald...

kitchen_bottom_cabinet_tiles_6.JPG

- "Natural Maple" - our original selection; but it looked too light and bland...

- I like "Super Real Walnut" but it does look a little too dark

- "Dark Erable" is like a mix of "Super Real Walnut" & "Flanney Cherry"

- Wife likes "Light Talisa Plum", and we are using it for the vanity counter cabinet; and on after-thoughts, it actually looks something like her current kitchen now; she might change her mind now... hmmm...

I think we are likely to change again, once the kitchen floor tiles are all up, and we have a better sense of the overall colour scheme for the kitchen, and the lighting... but i'm thinking more of "Dark Erable" or even "Flannel Cherry"

wah, see your laminates until my eyes see stars... :wacko:

if you ask me, for your kitchen cabinet one, my feeling is all are too dark except the Classic Oak one... hahaha :P but this is my taste la.... and agree with your wife that the greyish type looks more matching with the floor tiles... haha

btw, if my dad sees your perspective drawings, he will say nowadays, not many pple can do this kind of drawings by hand liao... haha :lol: