Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
neubie

A Resale Owner's Worst Nightmare

Innocent loan-shark victim's 3-year tale of endless woes

I AM an unfortunate owner who bought a three-room flat from a loan-shark borrower three years ago.

I have been harassed by loan sharks until today because the previous owner had not changed his address on his identity card. I have lodged several police reports but the only assurance the police offered me was that they would increase the patrols around my block.

Desperate, I sought the assistance of my MP, Associate Professor Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim, last November.

He promised to raise the matter with the police, but the only additional response I received from the police, apart from the previous assurance of increased patrols, was a question: Would I be installing a closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera?

Meanwhile, the loan sharks did not let up and visited my flat regularly.

Last week alone, I lodged three police reports, the most serious of which was about my family and I being locked in with a bicycle lock, and our front door splashed with red and black paint.

The police had to be called to release the lock. Subsequently, an investigating officer was assigned to the case, but the only response I received from him was the same: The police would increase their patrols.

The next day, a loan shark called and threatened to burn my flat if I did not track down the previous owner. He also threatened to harm my daughter and my maid, claiming that he had their photographs.

I reported this also to the investigating officer and after receiving the same reply, I asked him to facilitate the installation of a CCTV camera at my lift landing. He told me to check with the Bedok North police centre and when I did, I was told to obtain approvals from the Housing Board and the town council. Only then would the CCTV camera be installed, at my own cost.

The reason I am writing in is that I have done all that I could but question whether the police have done likewise.

I have faithfully lodged reports with the police, and installed a CCTV camera, but I have not seen a more visible police presence.

I am not updated by the police and all that the police have done effectively is to record my statements.

I am baffled and frustrated. On the one hand, a serial loan-shark borrower could escape harassment by the simple act of not changing his address; and a loan shark could obtain all my personal details.

On the other, the police have apparently been unable to track down the previous owner, let alone the loan shark.

Eng Lay Qing (Ms)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

i have a few friends that are stuck in similar situation. it's sad to see that in many cases, the police just tried to push responsibility around and no practical help was given.

only for one friend, their area's police (TPY) did put in effort to help, but harassment still has been on and off for the past 4 years. Now, almost every unit at their corridor has a CCTV....

i have a few friends that are stuck in similar situation. it's sad to see that in many cases, the police just tried to push responsibility around and no practical help was given.

only for one friend, their area's police (TPY) did put in effort to help, but harassment still has been on and off for the past 4 years. Now, almost every unit at their corridor has a CCTV....

Ya, buying resale have this risk. Hopefully after cctv are installed then less of this problems.

In some cases, it's juz a matter of whether the police wants to "help" or not.

I think the biggest problem is that those ppl who uses their previous address to borrow from loansharks, legalised or illegal ones, and refuse to change their address! :furious:

Even with our National Registration Act in place, I personally think it is all for show only. Why I say tat, coz of my encounters, whereby ICA pushes to SPF, say they (ICA) can't arrest those ppl who nv change their IC address within the stipulated 28 days. What is this?!

I sincerely believe that more ppl will be aware and scared by the fact that they WILL REALLY be put in jail if they didn't change their address after moving out from their old flat, IF & ONLY IF there are cases publicised in the papers of ppl caught and put behind bars for not changing their address, according to the Act. If not, I dun think there will be any end to the crap that ppl has to endure. :curse:

Good Day.....

I agree with jeffcraze where Man-In-Blue wants to help anot, how "BIG" Spore get can...

who know with the increasing of FT, some may borrow from loadshark........

Foreign talents in loan shark activities

Cheaper, better, faster and no strings attached. Foreign workers are now recruited to be runners for loan sharks. They are cheaper, hungrier, and nothing to lose. The last part spells big trouble. The more nothing to lose foreigners on the loose, the more dicey things will become. They will do anything.

For the moment these foreign runners are still at the level of spray painting doors, locking doors and throwing shoes and slippers over the balcony. When else will they do when they graduated and move to a higher level of operation and higher risk?

The police are confident that they can manage this problem. Why manage the runners when the loan sharks are the real source of the problem and weeding them out is like uprooting the grass? How many loan sharks have been caught? So far it seems that only the runners are caught.

This problem does not seem to go away.

Sources From: http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2010/1...loan-shark.html

with the new policy have the seller having to submit details on where they would be moving after the sale .. maybe can propose for hdb to be enpowered to change the addresses on the NRIC during the 2nd appointment .. will solve a lot of unnecessary problems ..

with the new policy have the seller having to submit details on where they would be moving after the sale .. maybe can propose for hdb to be enpowered to change the addresses on the NRIC during the 2nd appointment .. will solve a lot of unnecessary problems ..

Some have complained openly to ST forums abt hdb not enforcing this. Their lame reply was it's difficult to get sellers to provide their new address. So what can they do???

Under National Registration Act, one is required to update his address change in IC within 28 days, failing to do so is an offence.(fine only)

The law has been too linear with little enforcement ended up with situation as mention. Once HDB/SLA/URA receive info on property title transfer, they should immediately inform/work with ICA. A new address of the seller should be provided and sent to ICA for reference. Upon completion of transfer of property title, ICA should send letter to seller to acknowlege the new address, failing to receive return letter within stipulated timeframe, ICA should action and all costs involved to be bear by seller!

well, all the solutions require "work" to be done, i.e. updating and chasing people who buy/sell houses. But no one gets paid any extra $.

So it never gets done. As simple as that.

This whole system is simply screwed up, with powerless man in blue.

my neighbour has the habit of blasting music at night and when the police came, he F them loud and clear. The Man in blue can only say "Sir, please be considerate to your neighbours". No bite at all la.

ST 22/1/2011

Loan-shark woes: Expect more arrests

THE facts and circumstances of each case of loansharking are unique (Ms Eng Lay Qing, 'Innocent loan-shark victim's 3-year tale of endless woes'; Wednesday). Leads in cases of loan-shark harassment differ from case to case.

The police adopt a tough stance against unlicensed moneylending and harassment. In the first half of last year, we smashed eight syndicates and arrested some 800 persons. More arrests are expected. We have updated Ms Eng about her case and will continue to provide her with the necessary help.

Borrowers who continue to seek loans from illegal moneylenders using their old addresses face stiff penalties. For failing to report change of address, they can be fined up to $5,000 and/or jailed up to five years. They may also face a prison term of up to 12 months for giving false info for a loan.

Being involved with unlicensed moneylending activities carry stiff penalties too. First-time offenders who help illegal moneylenders run their businesses may be fined between $30,000 and $300,000, imprisoned for up to four years and subjected to a maximum of six strokes of the cane.

First-time offenders who act for an unlicensed moneylender in committing or attempting to commit any acts of harassment face imprisonment for up to five years, and a fine of between $5,000 and $50,000; and are liable to be caned between three and six strokes.

DSP Paul Tay

Assistant Director, Media Relations

Public Affairs Department

Singapore Police Force