Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
neubie

Mm Lee: Fengshui Is 'utter Rubbish'

Singapore | Updated today at 06:25 PM

By June Cheong

PRAGMATISM is not just a tenet Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew holds dear in his public life. He also runs his private affairs in a practical, fact-based manner.

Asked if he believes in fengshui, MM Lee laughed and said it was 'utter rubbish' that people think he does.

Many Singaporeans The Straits Times team spoke to were curious about MM Lee's private life and he gamely answered all personal questions in 32 hours of interviews with ST journalists between 2008 and 2009.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

He was supposedly one of the noble patrons of Venerable Hong-Chuan back then while the later was still alive.

There was even a story as to how the $1 coin which took the shape of "ba-gua" (the 8 trigram) came into use in view of the MRT. That was said to be Ven. Hong-Chuan's recommendation & it was being implemented.

Perhaps it's not his intention to promote superstitions which is why he is concluding that fengshui is "utter nonsense"??

If he gives the reply otherwise, the fengshui industry is going on an even bullish market when it's already quite "hot" in demand in Singapore already.

Edited by edenstrauss

There was even a story as to how the $1 coin which took the shape of "ba-gua" (the 8 trigram) came into use in view of the MRT. That was said to be Ven. Hong-Chuan's recommendation & it was being implemented.

I heard abt this story before too. I think it's a real story too. :)

No idea how words of the story got around... But it did anyway.

Malaysia copied the $1 bagua coin also.

Then, sometimes, the merchants here receive their version here in Singapore and didn't realise it until the customer they passed the change to alerted them.

Don't quote me, but I heard another version.

The original East-West MRT line would kill off the auspicious Qi brought in from our ports.

Ven Hong Chuan was strongly against it. When the "you know who" was adamant,

Hong Chuan severed all ties with him.

It was then through the collective recommendation of a reputable pool of FSMs that the

bagua $1 coins came into being. When the MRT was operational and nothing untowards

happened, he trashed FS.

Hi thanks for sharing!

That's really new to me :)

I thought that the $1 coin was Ven HC's recommendation! :unsure:

Anyways, that's a nice juicy bit of news u've offered up here on this thread :D

Hi thanks for sharing!

That's really new to me :)

I thought that the $1 coin was Ven HC's recommendation! :unsure:

Anyways, that's a nice juicy bit of news u've offered up here on this thread :D

Ohh... the version i heard abt the $1 coin was slightly different.

I heard that when they were relocating the position of the Merlion status from the old site to its current site, the 8 x $1 coins were found buried under the statue, and they were replaced at the new site too.

I seriously doubted if LKY has consulted then HC for FS issues.

Merlion is sort of an icon of Singapore to "foreigners", relocation is was soly due to land reclaimation purpose, no more no lee.

Lightning strike on merlion - collection of "too much" earth static charge(ion) so when storm clouds of opposite charge passing nearby, naturally there caused a "dischage" or "attraction" of two different charges. When need to be done is to install some ion dissipators on top of the merlion to make less "earth charge" at all time.

SMRT's TVM(ticket vending machine)'s cashbox(black color, made of PP material) can accomodate maximum 900 pcs $1coin. When reached 850 pcs, a "cashbox near full" alarm message will be flashed over the station computer's SAP screen wthin the station control room. The CAU(cash Accepting Unit) in TVM is to validate the inserted coin throught 3 sensors in series, failure of validation coin goes to return cup, accepted one goes to cash box. The 3 inductance sensors detect "material", "thickness", & "diameter" of $1coin. The "guide path" in CAU is just slightly widen than the diameter of $1 coin. Many european countries then were using quite many coins of similar diameter coins of different thickness and material. The Automatic Fare Collection machines were manufactured by Cubic Western Data of USA. The CAU needs to be "programmed" by passing through same $1coin 100 times, during which the 3 parameters(material, thickness, diameter)data were store in a non-volatile RAM register. In 1986, I had "first hand" chance to use these "uncirculated" coins manufactured by Singapore Mint for programming & testing. After programming, many foreigner coins were used to "test" the CAU's accuracy. Finally test passed and "go ahead". Believed the "octagon" shape was then design to make "differentiated" from majority of european coins.

If LKY believed "qi" or land formation, he would not have agreed to "block up" the common meeting point of singapore river, sungei kalllang & sungei geylang to form the present's Marina Barrage, some more he pressed the button to officially "open" it.

Edited by bepgof

But where did those rumours come from?

Human minds do evolve and perspectives change over time though...

I've got an inlaw's cousin who was once mad about fengshui but after he went thru setbacks when Geomency cures failed at one time, he abandoned his faith in fengshui and is now declaring that fengshui is an utter scam.

But where did those rumours come from?

Human minds do evolve and perspectives change over time though...

I've got an inlaw's cousin who was once mad about fengshui but after he went thru setbacks when Geomency cures failed at one time, he abandoned his faith in fengshui and is now declaring that fengshui is an utter scam.

Very likely from the "kopitiam" :D 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 8, so on so for. If got chance to see him face to face, I will clarify him, like the journalists do, ok? :D

Edited by bepgof

Very likely from the "kopitiam" :D 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 8, so on so for. If got chance to see him face to face, I will clarify him, like the journalists do, ok? :D

he'll probably tell u that its utter rubbish too ;)

The original East-West MRT line would kill off the auspicious Qi brought in from our ports. Ven Hong Chuan was strongly against it. When the "you know who" was adamant, Hong Chuan severed all ties with him.

This info is definitely reliable. PM me if you want to know the source.

It is no wonder why he commissioned the sealing of the Qi mouthpiece at Marina Barrage. He didn't even take Ven HC's advice back in the 80s not to build the MRT.

For him, rationality and functionality rules. We have a wise leader.

It was then through the collective recommendation of a reputable pool of FSMs that the bagua $1 coins came into being. When the MRT was operational and nothing untowards happened, he trashed FS.

I concur that this part is probably kopitiam talk. Rumour has it that the FSMs wanted as many ppl to carry the bagua as possible to tame the dragon [MRT]. The $1 coin was minted in 1986 before the SMRT was incorporated in 1987 for the exact reason.

The original East-West MRT line would kill off the auspicious Qi brought in from our ports.

Ven Hong Chuan was strongly against it. When the "you know who" was adamant,

Hong Chuan severed all ties with him.

I think this part is a bit to serious and outrageous for a monk to say or act. Who is Hong Chuan to acknowledge "sever all ties with him"?

Monks are suppose to be forgiving. I wonder who spread such rumours?!!

宏船 is reputable monk and even ordinary monks don't say such things.

Some people are really ridiculous. When Lee bought from the british Kwang Ming, they claimed its LKY. It was actually Lee Choon Seng.

When photo was taken of LKY with HC after opening ceremony, people isolate the photo and said LKY went to consult HC......really ridiculous.

Ven HC is a knowledgeable religious leader in his own rights because he had cooperated with the rest of the buddhist leaders worldwide in getting China to reinstate buddhism in the country.

But I would think that while Ven HC is from the sangha community, it is difficult to draw a line between religion and politics on many ocassions. It has been like that in the past and until today, it's very much the same.

There were many debates out there that religion shouldn't be mixed up with politics. And that religious leaders should stay out of politics.

However, I think this is tall order, very difficult.

Especially in the case of the Dalai Lama where he is both a monk (sangha community) and is also the legitimate leader for Tibet but living in exile. While he strives to match the expectations of a religious leader, he has to be involved in politics. And much to the China government's anger because they didn't want him trying to reclaim Tibet. The sad thing is that I think Tibet is likely to be a lost cause as there is no way that the China government would return the country to him & his people.