Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
endlssorrow

Curtain Or Roller Blind

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Curtains are likely to outlive roller blinds.

Reason: Curtains could be washed or dry-cleaned. But for roller blinds, once soiled or stained, those damages are likely to be permanent.

And depending on factors such as quality, maintenance (how u use your blinds), environment e.g. hot afternoon sun; the life span of roller blinds would vary.

The coverage for windows could be played around with using curtains whereas roller blinds meant that u either have it totally rolled down or partial exposure.

And if u decide to leave your roller blinds down with windows opened, and your place is very windy, then the rods weighing down the blinds would bang against your windows/ grilles. For that, U could minimise the noise by attaching rubber to the rods. DIY. But u wouldn't be able to prevent the blinds from shaking when blown on by wind or fan.

Edited by edenstrauss

If u r considering roller blinds, u might want to try Tachikawa Blinds or its sister brand, Tana. Both are smooth with its rolling mechanism but the shop that I went to told me that there's a limitation of fabrics if these 2 brands are used.

Edited by edenstrauss

And if u decide to leave your roller blinds down with windows opened, and your place is very windy, then the rods weighing down the blinds would bang against your windows/ grilles. For that, U could minimise the noise by attaching rubber to the rods. DIY. But u wouldn't be able to prevent the blinds from shaking when blown on by wind or fan.

That is a good point that most of us will not consider when installing curtains/binds.

I have entirely removed my curtains from my living room windows as the wind is too strong over there. Even my ceiling fan will move without its power on. Now I know why my neighbours upstairs and downstairs do not hang anything at their living room windows.

Hi forgotten,

We tie up 2 panels of curtain into 1, so that it's a heavier bundle.

It's nice to be staying in a windy place :) U save alot of $$ when u get free aircon in ur living room!

My windows are the sliding type so we cannot totally let in the winds becox there will be some blockage from sliding windows.

I presume yours is swing type of windows? This type of windows would allow ALL the wind to enter your home.

Edited by edenstrauss

Guest cythialum

When considering furnishing a place, just about the most common dilemmas that individuals face could be the choice between blinds and curtains. What at first may seem like a comparatively simple decision can in fact turn into an entire minefield! There are so many various kinds of curtains and blinds available that exploring the advantages and disadvantages of both can help to make a decision easier.

Curtains

Quite literally, curtains can be found in all shapes and sizes. It is possible to choose any fabric or pattern you want and there's an array of fitting styles available. However, custom-made curtains can be expensive to buy and replace, and after that degree of financial investment, you'll be able to feel as though you are 'stuck' using them. Off-the-peg curtains may not be no problem finding in the right size or shade you might need and lined curtains may require dry cleaning. Washing, drying and ironing curtains can be a chore, just like re-hanging - even though this is easier with tab top or ring top types.

Curtains can fix draughts but may well not block light sufficiently. Curtains would be best avoided in humid rooms, or perhaps households at risk of mould, while they may also retain strong smells, for example pet odours and tobacco smoke. Deciding on the best length is vital, as is also choosing the perfect curtain rail. Curtains might be bulky, bay or irregular windows can prove to be problematic and, whilst they can make a welcoming atmosphere, curtains could also seem dated.

Blinds

Blinds represent the harder modern alternative to curtains. Numerous styles exist to accommodate all budgets and window spaces. For sale in numerous materials, from wood to faux wood and metal to fabric, blinds also come in many more colours than people might expect.

Roller blinds are best for blocking out light, that is essential if you have children who nap inside day. Blinds may also be perfect for kitchens or bathrooms, since several now can be found in specially treated materials.

Venetian blinds have become modern and may instantly update a space. In aluminium or (faux) wood they are literally a wipe-clean strategy to window dressing. Dusting blinds is usually a easy, particularly if choose fork-like hoover attachment!

Vertical blinds can be created to measure or pre-made, requiring alterations in your own home. Fitting blinds over irregular window sizes is simple, as they are alternating or replacing slats. Get a 12 foot vertical blinds kit and alter it on the sized of the question and you'll choose whichever slats you want to grow it!

In conclusion, with regards to blinds v. curtains it seems apparant that should you be from a budget friendly, modern look that is simple to maintain and fully adjustable, blinds appear to tick okay the boxes.

If blinds or curtains is really a difficult decision, visit Direct Blind's floor to ceiling roller blind page for many inspiration. Direct Blinds are a UK based created to measure blind company.

Hi forgotten,

We tie up 2 panels of curtain into 1, so that it's a heavier bundle.

It's nice to be staying in a windy place :) U save alot of $$ when u get free aircon in ur living room!

My windows are the sliding type so we cannot totally let in the winds becox there will be some blockage from sliding windows.

I presume yours is swing type of windows? This type of windows would allow ALL the wind to enter your home.

Yap, my windows are swing type, inherited from previous owners.

Edited by forgotten

Bump...would like to get some recommendations for roller blinds too, anyone bought from Spotlight before? How's the quality?

Bump...would like to get some recommendations for roller blinds too, anyone bought from Spotlight before? How's the quality?

Hi Navik,

I'm a solar window film installer, and do work closely with this vendor, for curtain & blinds. I can recommend him, pretty good and humble. His name is Laurence, mobile 9320 1379. You can ask him for samples and quote. No obligation.

anyone knows for toilet top hung windows, is it possible to but a mini roller blind there??

Is that window meant for ventilation purpose? Won't it block the ventilation flow if you put a mini blind there?

Is that window meant for ventilation purpose? Won't it block the ventilation flow if you put a mini blind there?

hmm can roll up and down mah..