Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shumin

The Pursuit Of Happiness

I also recommended electrolux leh... But the queen words place more weight than mine. Haha...

LOL! Perhaps because I've lived the nomadic life in Australia, moving from one rented place to another and trying out all the machines, including those coin operated ones omg ><

Honestly, I can't compare the Electrolux with a Miele (since never had one, and it belongs to completely different price range) - but I did read lots of washing machines reviews before deciding on the Electrolux. It was a debate between Electrolux and Bosch (both had negative/positive reviews), but the Harvey Norman salesguy took care of that~ Samsungs are also not bad, I hear LGs do quite a bit of dancing, and the Fisher & Paykel top-loader in Australia has been operating for more than 10yrs. Sometimes it's the mega brands that disappoint - like my MIL complained constantly of her Liebherr fridge - it was rusting etc only after 2 yrs, and she loves her Japanese branded one now. /shrug

Odd that it was the opposite for me, Shumin. Went to HN to get the Bosch but they kept pushing the Electrolux :P The most common complaints I read from reviews about Electrolux can be easily prevented by cleaning the rubber trim drum once in a while, emptying your pockets before putting your clothes in the wash, and of course, removing the brackets behind... :D

Shumin, the tray has slots for pre-wash, detergent and softener, simply add and load it up! No need for timer. I use Persil & Vanish in the detergent slot, and add Downy Anti-Bac in the Softener slot. Pre-wash if you have heavily stained clothes and you can put Vanish in the Pre-wash slot instead.

Here's a review of the Electrolux and if you're interested in how much a 8kg capacity can actually hold...

laundry-basket.jpg

washing-on-line.jpg

Reviewer added that this pile of laundry consist of:

10 pairs of underwear

16 socks

2 pairs of trousers

3 t-shirts

2 cotton shirts

4 pairs of jeans

1 pair of shorts

1 (heavy) hoody top

Hope this helps!

- Ely

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I have been living nomadic life for the past 17 years, moving to different home and countries too. Haha.... But you still the queen!! Hehe....

went down to Hafary @ Balestier on Monday to select our tiles. its a total nightmare as there is just so many types of tiles to choose from.

took us about an hour to confirm our selection. if it wasn't for my mister, 6 hours wouldn't have been enough for me. hahahaha

being in shock from the wide selection, we or rather i want to stick to more conventional colours like black, white and grey.

i know its boring but to me, colours like these are timeless and don't go wrong. or at least i hope!

Common Bathroom:

P1080191.jpg

i don't know why but choosing tiles for the common bathroom was the quickest and easiest.

Alan suggested black tiles for the shower area and white for the basin and wc area,

both of the tiles have this strip design on them.

we thought it was rather ok and we went along with his choice.

i didn't want white or black floor for our bathrooms as i heard so much horror stories in RT.

so we choose a light greyish floor tile. 30x30 for the floor tiles and 30x60 for the wall tiles.

MBR Bathroom:

P1080194.jpg

choosing tiles for the MBR bathroom was the toughest.

i prefer a plain design while my mister wanted something more fancy.

we decided on white wall tiles (picture looks a little cream) as we prefer brighter rooms,

black tiles with a swirl design for our small built-in bathtub and a dark greyish tiles that

has some sparkle to it.

Alan suggested a row of mosaic around the bath area, i personally dislike mosaic but mister

feels that it adds a feature to the bathroom. still KIV-ing the design. all tiles are in 30x60.

Kitchen:

P1080189.jpg

i wanted a medium greyish tile for my kitchen but none appealed to me.

so in the end, we choose this greyish-almost-black tile for our kitchen.

am little worried as i am afraid that it would be difficult to maintain and it might make the

kitchen look too dark. hopefully our choice of white cabinets would counter the effect.

30x60 for the floor tiles, we'll not be having any wall tiles.

i've not done any stress test to the tiles like what May_dream1 did.

am going to put some 'stress' on them tonight and hope that i made some good choices.

... ...

Here's a review of the Electrolux and if you're interested in how much a 8kg capacity can actually hold...

laundry-basket.jpg

washing-on-line.jpg

Reviewer added that this pile of laundry consist of:

10 pairs of underwear

16 socks

2 pairs of trousers

3 t-shirts

2 cotton shirts

4 pairs of jeans

1 pair of shorts

1 (heavy) hoody top

Hope this helps!

- Ely

thanks you Ely for your reply, it was very helpful!

i should make another trip to HN and take a reall good look at the washers again.

btw, your house is GORGEOUS!

I have been living nomadic life for the past 17 years, moving to different home and countries too. Haha.... But you still the queen!! Hehe....

all hail the Queen :bow:

I think Alan is gg to bring me to yr house n see see Liao cos he came my place the other day n the above tiles r almost wat I selected n shown him...

My tiles were selected by the Hafary Sales person though...still waiting for the quotation from Alan...

but i got no budget for Toto!! went to Adamas today, the Toto wc is soooooo gorgeous. *drooools

i made my 2CG purchase at Kong Tai, and the sales person did mention the lack of stock.

am very skeptical about tempered glass. *cross fingers* that my butter fingers doesn't drop anything on it.

Haha, I only buy 1 Toto for MBR own use :D

Ah, maybe I bought the rinnai hob about 1 month ago, during that time, everywhere no stock :( no worries Shumin as there is a lifetime warranty on the glass, the glass of this hob is from Schott AG, a german company that deal with high quality indurtrial glass.... it'll be good :good:

Edited by Kobelala

thanks you Ely for your reply, it was very helpful!

i should make another trip to HN and take a reall good look at the washers again.

btw, your house is GORGEOUS!

all hail the Queen :bow:

You're very welcome, Shumin, and thank you! It's been quite a grueling reno process!

As for washing machines, go by your budget and the functions you *need* - flexibility with timing/cycles/spin speed/temp, honeycomb/tilted/lit drum, 8kg (for a king size quilt) or not, anti-crease, blah blah, and go from there. Also see which you like the looks of more, if it's going to be "displayed" then you can decide if you want to go all matchy-matchy :)

/does the royal wave~

- Ely

hacking started on 22nd, was kinda a rush-rush thing due to fengshui.

this is how the place looks like on 23rd.

P1080180.jpgP1080183.jpg

both the bathrooms are gone and most parts of the kitchen is gone too. cept a small area of the wall.

the hacking of the balcony faced some issues, broken pieces from the wall tile fell and the kindergarden below lodge a complain.

police, hdb officer and people from the town council came. so drama. haha

permit to hack the MBR wall just got approved. so more hacking to be done on Monday.

its gonna be a long reno journey as my mister told Alan that he want reno work to stretch into the hungry ghost festival.

when he said that, i went :jawdrop:.

to view it in a positive light, it give us more time to purchase our aircon, sanitary ware..etc.

am going down to Jalan Besar today to visit Royal Franco, GR Link and Adamas. PM LEAVE - yay!!

heard lots of raves for Heritage at Geylang, might drop by there for a look-see.

Good luck with the reno!

Do slowly and nicely more important than ghost month la, its gonna last you many many years..

Remember to note down all the brands and model numbers of things you like, then can just give royal fanco a call and ask them for better price. Haha.. Thats what I did, saved quite a bit. Some shops along Jalan besar is chop carrot head one. Something that sells for 350 they can sell at 600, quite ridiculous one. So, walk around, do your homework and don't get conned into buying from an expensive shop, unless you really really cannot find it anywhere else.

Hi Shumin,

U look familiar to me and my bf confirmed that we met before at one of our friend event at chevrons, and we did exchange conversation during that time. The most coincidence things is that we are becoming future neighbour soon.

We just gotten our keys of our flat from HDB and in the process of hunting contractor to renovate. We approach Alan the same contractor as you, which was also recommended by some members here to quote us but we have yet to confirm him because the quoted amount over our budget.

We are sourcing more contractor to do comparison first before coming into conclusion. Worst come to worst, we will remove some of our ideas.

Do you mind sharing your quote with us? You can PM me to bring up some of your memory from where we met. hahahhahahahhahah

Happy to see you here!!!

Regards

Vonne

how your hacking?

wish you a smooth reno journey too!

hacking is done. plastering of the kitchen wall is completed today.

tiling should start on thurs/friday. kinda slow cause my mister wants reno to stretch till mid aug.

shopping for home stuff is really tiring :help: .

Good luck with the reno!

Do slowly and nicely more important than ghost month la, its gonna last you many many years..

Remember to note down all the brands and model numbers of things you like, then can just give royal fanco a call and ask them for better price. Haha.. Thats what I did, saved quite a bit. Some shops along Jalan besar is chop carrot head one. Something that sells for 350 they can sell at 600, quite ridiculous one. So, walk around, do your homework and don't get conned into buying from an expensive shop, unless you really really cannot find it anywhere else.

i went to GR Link, Royal Franco, Adamas, Ho Kee, Sim Siam Choo...gosh!

still i don't know which shop i should get my stuff from.

but we have more or less decided to get Baron wc for both bathrooms, no $$ for Toto.

hopefully no flying-poo when flushing. hahahaha

Hi Shumin,

U look familiar to me and my bf confirmed that we met before at one of our friend event at chevrons, and we did exchange conversation during that time. The most coincidence things is that we are becoming future neighbour soon.

We just gotten our keys of our flat from HDB and in the process of hunting contractor to renovate. We approach Alan the same contractor as you, which was also recommended by some members here to quote us but we have yet to confirm him because the quoted amount over our budget.

We are sourcing more contractor to do comparison first before coming into conclusion. Worst come to worst, we will remove some of our ideas.

Do you mind sharing your quote with us? You can PM me to bring up some of your memory from where we met. hahahhahahahhahah

Happy to see you here!!!

Regards

Vonne

PM-ed you. :yamseng:

hi ShuMin, congrats on ur new flat~ I also bought a flat in the Jurong area. now looking for ID. Can check with u who's ur FSM and how much u paid for his/her services?