Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edenstrauss

Demolition Of Walls & Erection Of Walls (In-Between Bedrooms)

Hi Miss. Your renovation work has finished, right? Can i know the sound proof of the wall? My friends say cos the newly-erected wall in-between bedrooms use hallow bricks, the sound proof of the wall is not good. Have you tested if you talk in one room, your husband can hear from the other room?

Sorry for my poor English. Look forward to your answer cos i am considering whether to buy a unit now which the previous owner also combined a master room and common room. Thanks.

ALL prefabrication flats, including newly constructed flats used hollow blocks for interior walls & red brick walls on the exterior. However, those hollow block walls constructed by HDB are definitely filled with cement. As such, there shouldn't be such privacy issues involved.

However, if your walls are fabricated using hollow blocks WITHOUT soundproofing materials used, then, yes, sounds can be heard in between rooms - but in our case, we could hear mobile phones ringing from the other room. TV & radios could only be heard when the volume gets turned up. But when either one of us talk in either of the room at a low volume, cannot be heard in the other.

For your information, we are staying in flats, not bungalows or "kumpongs" so when the occupants talk really loudly, even neighbours whose units are located near one another would get to hear of the contents of their conversation. And say if a person talk in the bedroom with its door closed, and people loitering outside (the bedroom) could hear him/her talking.

But if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't buy such a flat unless I'm tearing down the entire place & getting it fully renovated. Even if I were doing so, I would tell my renovator that I would like to have soundproof walls. For our current flat, we aren't putting up in it permanently as we'll be shifting in the near future. So no point spending so much $$ on putting back the new wall.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Thanks for your info.

By the way, you are saying " But when either one of us talk in either of the room at a low volume, cannot be heard in the other", what does "at a low volume" mean? If you talk at normal volume, can the other hear the talking in between the rooms?

Thanks.

ALL prefabrication flats, including newly constructed flats used hollow blocks for interior walls & red brick walls on the exterior. However, those hollow block walls constructed by HDB are definitely filled with cement. As such, there shouldn't be such privacy issues involved.

However, if your walls are fabricated using hollow blocks WITHOUT soundproofing materials used, then, yes, sounds can be heard in between rooms - but in our case, we could hear mobile phones ringing from the other room. TV & radios could only be heard when the volume gets turned up. But when either one of us talk in either of the room at a low volume, cannot be heard in the other.

For your information, we are staying in flats, not bungalows or "kumpongs" so when the occupants talk really loudly, even neighbours whose units are located near one another would get to hear of the contents of their conversation. And say if a person talk in the bedroom with its door closed, and people loitering outside (the bedroom) could hear him/her talking.

But if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't buy such a flat unless I'm tearing down the entire place & getting it fully renovated. Even if I were doing so, I would tell my renovator that I would like to have soundproof walls. For our current flat, we aren't putting up in it permanently as we'll be shifting in the near future. So no point spending so much $$ on putting back the new wall.

Hi dcs,

Definition of volume & pitch of voices r very subjective. There r ppl who are in fact shouting @ the top of their voices when they speak. we had neighbrs like that & itx really unfortunate..

In our family, we r a quiet lot who speaks at a relatively low volume as compared to some rowdy neighbours..

If u r concerned over the soundproofing for the prospective unit, I would highly recommend that u look elsewhere. There r many flats up for selling so don't select this one.

Edited by edenstrauss

Thanks.Sign the otp already. Sigh

should be fine. we only have a 9feet wall to be built

Hi dcs,

Definition of volume & pitch of voices r very subjective. There r ppl who are in fact shouting @ the top of their voices when they speak. we had neighbrs like that & itx really unfortunate..

In our family, we r a quiet lot who speaks at a relatively low volume as compared to some rowdy neighbours..

If u r concerned over the soundproofing for the prospective unit, I would highly recommend that u look elsewhere. There r many flats up for selling so fun select this one.

Hi dsc,

Since u hv committed 2 buy the flat already, u can tell ur renovator that u require soundproof walls.

Experienced renovators will know what 2 do.. So u need not worry 2 much. :)

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi... Can i have yr contractor contact pls? Thanks

Hi pls tell me ur requirements briefly. I seek ur kind understanding that if there isn't a match b/w ur requirements & that of his expertise then his number will b irrelevant.. Poor man is so busy until he doesn't hv enough sleep & rest already.

So I m referring assignments which r relevant 2 him only.

Right.Thanks.

Hi dsc,

Since u hv committed 2 buy the flat already, u can tell ur renovator that u require soundproof walls.

Experienced renovators will know what 2 do.. So u need not worry 2 much. ☺

Hi pls tell me ur requirements briefly. I seek ur kind understanding that if there isn't a match b/w ur requirements & that of his expertise then his number will b irrelevant.. Poor man is so busy until he doesn't hv enough sleep & rest already.

So I m referring assignments which r relevant 2 him only.

Need to hack off old tiles for toilet/bath & kitchen. New tiles after that

Hi Edenstrauss,

Can PM me Ah Cheong's contact?

Thanks

Hi please pm the nature of ur assignment 2 me. I seek your kind understanding that he is selective on assignments.

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi Edenstrauss

i am looking for someone to erect the wall, which was torn down to merge with living room.

Hence, the job scope would probably be:

- to supply hollow block

- to build up the hollow block, while leaving a gap for the door frame

- to plaster the hollow block

Am I right on the above?

No hacking is required right?

I wonder if there is a need for skirting?

You were quoted $2k which consist of more works.

For my scope, it should be lower...?

Appreciate if you could PM me the contacts

Thanks

Shawn

Hi Edenstrauss

i am looking for someone to erect the wall, which was torn down to merge with living room.

Hence, the job scope would probably be:

- to supply hollow block

- to build up the hollow block, while leaving a gap for the door frame

- to plaster the hollow block

Am I right on the above?

No hacking is required right?

I wonder if there is a need for skirting?

You were quoted $2k which consist of more works.

For my scope, it should be lower...?

Appreciate if you could PM me the contacts

Thanks

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Quotation is based on many factors such as structural measurements which would definitely vary from site to site, types of raw materials used, including complications e.g. relocation of trunkings & wirings where applicable, etc etc.

I wouldn't be able to advise you on the pricing becox I'm not affliated to my contractor & am just a client of his.

As such, please check with Ah Cheong directly. I've messaged his contact number to your renotalk mailbox so please check in to obtain his details.

He would have to make a visit to your place to assess your requirements on-site, take measurements & provide you with the quotation on another day.

I need to highlight to you that Ah Cheong charges a premium rate as compared to the contractors out there becox of his good workmanship & service. My $2k+ doesn't include bedroom door.

Hi Shawn,

Quotation is based on many factors such as structural measurements which would definitely vary from site to site, types of raw materials used, including complications e.g. relocation of trunkings & wirings where applicable, etc etc.

I wouldn't be able to advise you on the pricing becox I'm not affliated to my contractor & am just a client of his.

As such, please check with Ah Cheong directly. I've messaged his contact number to your renotalk mailbox so please check in to obtain his details.

He would have to make a visit to your place to assess your requirements on-site, take measurements & provide you with the quotation on another day.

I need to highlight to you that Ah Cheong charges a premium rate as compared to the contractors out there becox of his good workmanship & service. My $2k+ doesn't include bedroom door.

no problem and thanks for the PM

in fact 2k is well within my budget base on seeing the amount of work done for your house

Thanks!