Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jjk

T5 Or T8 Tubes For Cove Lighting?

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post...

Can I ask which is recommended for cove lighting?

T5 or T8 tubes?

With or without holder? (ID says the tubes will just be placed on the cove lighting area...is that the usual way to do it? No need to 'fix' onto the cove light bit? ID says nobody will look at the lights in there, so it doesn't matter...kinda make sense.)

With or without cover? (I realised some shops charge more for tubes with cover...some say covers make the light less bright.)

Would appreciate some advise.

Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

T5 or T8 makes no difference.....

holders are a must.... no fixing onto cove...

If you were to see into a cove, you see the aluminium skeletons within them....

covers are not neccessary...

just make sure that there are no dark spots....

basically the trick is to overlap the tubes to have an even effect....

my own home i use led strip lights....

more expensive but better effect and long term costs savings

T5 or T8 makes no difference.....

holders are a must.... no fixing onto cove...

If you were to see into a cove, you see the aluminium skeletons within them....

covers are not neccessary...

just make sure that there are no dark spots....

basically the trick is to overlap the tubes to have an even effect....

my own home i use led strip lights....

more expensive but better effect and long term costs savings

Hi, what type of LED strip lights u got and where can it be bought? Does it need a transformer to operate?

Hi, what type of LED strip lights u got and where can it be bought? Does it need a transformer to operate?

either 12vdc or 24vdc. definitely it will need a transformer to operate.

Looking into LED lights too for my new flat...and really hoping to make my home an environmental friendly one...went sim lim and price there is ok/reasonable at about $20 per meter..and according to shop attendent, it does not generate any heat as it it DC operated..quite impressed and almost going to confirm with them but luckily I did not. Just attended a housewarming ... and saw the LED strip lights used in my friend's place too, they place it below kitchen cabinet and in their master bedroom.... very impressive.......managed to get the contact of the supplier(hurray)......

Spoke to the contractor and understand they have the different types of waterproofing IP code depending on where I am going to place it. Every LED strip needs a power adapter/transformer... and some has RGB type like mood lights. Confused with so many different types.... anyway ask for a quotation and this is what he quoted me and please share if this is reasonable price.

5M LED strip light warm white c/w power supply/ transformer & 3M double side tape but not water proof type $60

5M LED strip RGB c/w power supply, remote controller & 3M double side tape but not waterproof type $90

Not inclusive of installation... cos he said the electrical contractor just need to link the power cable and it will work already... just need to lay the LED strip to where I want and take out the double side tape... sounds easy ya.

Looking into LED lights too for my new flat...and really hoping to make my home an environmental friendly one...went sim lim and price there is ok/reasonable at about $20 per meter..and according to shop attendent, it does not generate any heat as it it DC operated..quite impressed and almost going to confirm with them but luckily I did not. Just attended a housewarming ... and saw the LED strip lights used in my friend's place too, they place it below kitchen cabinet and in their master bedroom.... very impressive.......managed to get the contact of the supplier(hurray)......

Spoke to the contractor and understand they have the different types of waterproofing IP code depending on where I am going to place it. Every LED strip needs a power adapter/transformer... and some has RGB type like mood lights. Confused with so many different types.... anyway ask for a quotation and this is what he quoted me and please share if this is reasonable price.

5M LED strip light warm white c/w power supply/ transformer & 3M double side tape but not water proof type $60

5M LED strip RGB c/w power supply, remote controller & 3M double side tape but not waterproof type $90

Not inclusive of installation... cos he said the electrical contractor just need to link the power cable and it will work already... just need to lay the LED strip to where I want and take out the double side tape... sounds easy ya.

5M LED strip light warm white c/w power supply/ transformer & 3M double side tape but not water proof type $60 - pricing is good. but driving at 12vdc or 24vdc?

Led used is 3528 or 5050? is the size of led.

5M LED strip light warm white c/w power supply/ transformer & 3M double side tape but not water proof type $60 - pricing is good. but driving at 12vdc or 24vdc?

Led used is 3528 or 5050? is the size of led.

Just checked and found out from contractor/supplier tt the LED all running at 12vdc. The warm white ones are 3528 model running 60 LED per meter. He highlighted that there are cheaper ones that run at 30 LED per meter. The led type/size is 3528

The rgb ones using 5050 led and c/w 12vdc transformer, IR transmitter for 12 channel(12 different colours) and wireless receiver. It has 60 LED per meter too which means 300LED for 5 meters.

DO u think the price is reasonable for the specifications stated? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

If it's based on singapore pricing. It's decent. You should go dealextreme.com and see the prices there. Then you'll know the diff. There are other cheaper sites. Leds actually arent that exp.

Arowana, thank you for the contact. Price quite reasonable too.....Do you know where to purchase the power cos i think it is mainly for the car decor purpose so not accompanied with the power supply or transformer.....headache....

www.dealextreme.com sells

Sim Lim tower should have also. I know some forumers here are selling also.

Do note that LED's still lose to T5 lights in terms of Efficacy ratio - Lumens/Watts. Basically how bright the light source can be based on the amount of electricity consumed. LEDs are still almost half of T5. I wrote in another thread in this same section.

ya, receive some quote for abt $50 bucks. That is almost the same price as the 5M led for $60/- which already comes with the transformer. Let me try to nego w my contractor further.....wish me luck ya....

Anyone offering cheaper than what I have source so far, please PM me ya..... looking for following spec and cheaper than indicated price..hihi

5M LED strip light warm white c/w 12vdc power supply/ transformer & 3M double side tape but not water proof type $60. Led used is 3528

5M LED strip RGB c/w 12vdc power supply, 12 channel remote controller & 3M double side tape but not waterproof type $90

edlyn, must u use LED lights? This is for cove lights right? Unless you need a thinner false ceiling, it's better to go for T5 tubes. I need to use LED because my ceiling height already is quite low. Like 2.55m only. So my false ceiling, i only do for 4inches thickness (10cm). Normal false ceiling most people put 6inches (15cm) so as to accomodate different variations of downlights and also the hookup for cove lighting. My false ceiling in living room will only have cove lighting, no downlights, so i can afford to make it as slim as possible - 4inches. I have not upload any pics yet, lazy.. haha but will do so when things are complete.

T5 is still cheap like a 4ft tube - philips T5 with normal OEM light holder is only $15, and T5 has much higher efficacy ratio Lumens/watts compared to LED. LED sounds sexy only.

I already tried to get the cheapest but best value quality for LED lights for my living room but i still find the economics lose out to T5. My costs i found are much better than yours. But your price is like this because you are buying from Singapore. Go to www.dealextreme.com to see better deals. To give you a simple idea, I'm paying USD35/5m roll for a 300LEDs/5m 5050, IP65 waterproof. The price for the RGB with power supply and remote controller, water proof - less than half of what you got. But my prices is i buy online, so need to know the risks.

Unless absolutely necessary, stick with T5 for cove lighting.

Arowana: Thank you for your advice, my ceiling also quite low but not planning to have false ceiling cos it will make it even shorter. Actually planning to have L box around living and dining. Wish to get those 5W LED downlight to put up on the L box and LED strip to run along the side of the L box

If I use T5, it means I have to have false ceiling up to 6", wa..... so much space taken up ya. Let me reconsider and think over it again

Wow, u got a good price ya... does tt already include shipping and taxes. Can show some pic of your lED cove light when u hv the time to download pics.

Thank you for all the info and all the best to your new home

Arowana: Thank you for your advice, my ceiling also quite low but not planning to have false ceiling cos it will make it even shorter. Actually planning to have L box around living and dining. Wish to get those 5W LED downlight to put up on the L box and LED strip to run along the side of the L box

If I use T5, it means I have to have false ceiling up to 6", wa..... so much space taken up ya. Let me reconsider and think over it again

Wow, u got a good price ya... does tt already include shipping and taxes. Can show some pic of your lED cove light when u hv the time to download pics.

Thank you for all the info and all the best to your new home

hi i am looking to purchase lights for new house too. if interested we can group and do a bigger order thus negotiate for better prices? :sport-smiley-004:

i'm in process of ordering. Have shipped already. Didn't receive it yet. Once i get it, will test, put it up in the ceiling and if good, will recommend to you guys to use.

Edlyn, actually if you sure you not going to use downlights, can build your false ceiling to be 4" thickness only, then the hookedup portion is only 2" high, can still use T5. Good thing is T5 with holder is still quite small. So can still consider it.