Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ejszaka

My City Haven

Dropped by again after work last evening to see the extent of destruction... I must say.. it's complete!!

View from my main door. Gotta dress up this beam/pillar when reno is done.

Congrats! Space! yay, I like space! Surely, the house will be bright and airy. With space, there is a sense of freedom :good:

What a friend did to that little area was to erect a glass to fill up the space. Must say, it was beautiful.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Congrats! Space! yay, I like space! Surely, the house will be bright and airy. With space, there is a sense of freedom :good:

What a friend did to that little area was to erect a glass to fill up the space. Must say, it was beautiful.

You mean a glass display cabinet? Able to get a photo from your friend to show?

Any revised design frm ur ID wif regards to the constrains by the old tv signal wall and the vertical structural beams at ur living room? For me, I'll probably do horizontal glass shelves across the first 'hole' (between the tv signal & the beam). Like this, the living room is still seen as spacious, although wif the presence of tt beam.

Edited by Rover

just a stupid question but what happens if the hackers accidentally hack the beams/pillars as well? such case got happen before or not har?

just a stupid question but what happens if the hackers accidentally hack the beams/pillars as well? such case got happen before or not har?

I was also very worried about that. Kept asking my ID. He said the hackers are usually quite experienced. It's critical that the areas to be hacked are marked out. If they hit some support pillar, they will see metal railings. A signal to stop or the ceiling will collapse I suppose. Anyway when I went to visit, there were only two bangla workers doing it on Day 2, and I double-checked with them. Seems like they know exactly where to stop. Phew!

Any revised design frm ur ID wif regards to the constrains by the old tv signal wall and the vertical structural beams at ur living room? For me, I'll probably do horizontal glass shelves across the first 'hole' (between the tv signal & the beam). Like this, the living room is still seen as spacious, although wif the presence of tt beam.

No updates, cos when we discussed the reno plans and designs, we knew the beam was gonna be there. The glass shelf idea is a good idea. But I am not such a glass person, so I am more likely to just leave it and make the pillar a 'feature pillar' with a nice clock or perhaps photo frames. I want to be able to access the tv area from both sides. Will just box up the tv antenna pillar since it is not that obtrusive.

DAY 3

The debris has been cleared and hacking completed. Tiles, cement and sand were also delivered. The true excitement and trepidation begins tomorrow.

P1010230-tile.jpg

Hey there, nice concept you have for your apartment..

About the toilet floor tiling gradient, you should just make it clear in no uncertain terms to your ID that you will do a water test after the tiling. If the water doesn't flow properly into the drainage, you'll ask for re-tiling, at his cost. This is a basic requirement.

If you're looking for paintings to add that dash of color, maybe you could drop by Orchard Ion lv 4, there's a gift shop there called "The Wright Gift" that stocks prints of art pieces, could just buy 1 and get a frame from Ikea or custom make a frame.

Happy reno! :yamseng:

No updates, cos when we discussed the reno plans and designs, we knew the beam was gonna be there. The glass shelf idea is a good idea. But I am not such a glass person, so I am more likely to just leave it and make the pillar a 'feature pillar' with a nice clock or perhaps photo frames. I want to be able to access the tv area from both sides. Will just box up the tv antenna pillar since it is not that obtrusive.

Hi ejszaka,

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of that glass thing. It is actually (and I hope I can describe it clear here) a glass wall, instead of a brick/cement wall. It is not a glass display cabinet.

Your idea to make the pillar a feature pillar sounds interesting. Doing so, you can totally ignore the suggested glass wall (and save $$$) yet uncluttering that space. :yamseng:

Hey there, nice concept you have for your apartment..

About the toilet floor tiling gradient, you should just make it clear in no uncertain terms to your ID that you will do a water test after the tiling. If the water doesn't flow properly into the drainage, you'll ask for re-tiling, at his cost. This is a basic requirement.

If you're looking for paintings to add that dash of color, maybe you could drop by Orchard Ion lv 4, there's a gift shop there called "The Wright Gift" that stocks prints of art pieces, could just buy 1 and get a frame from Ikea or custom make a frame.

Happy reno! :yamseng:

Thanks for the wonderful suggestion. Hmmm.... if water no flow... re-tile.. I like that! Haha. AS for the paintings, I will definitely go check it out.

Hi ejszaka,

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of that glass thing. It is actually (and I hope I can describe it clear here) a glass wall, instead of a brick/cement wall. It is not a glass display cabinet.

Your idea to make the pillar a feature pillar sounds interesting. Doing so, you can totally ignore the suggested glass wall (and save $$$) yet uncluttering that space. :yamseng:

I will just keep my plans fluid at this point, and get ideas from everywhere. Decide only when I have to make a final decision.

Went to scrutinise the drainage pipes today and was wondering whether I should get them changed.

P1010243-horz.jpg

The kitchen ones look kinda corroded.

P1010242-horz.jpg

Does anyone know:

How much is cost to replace the pipes with PVC ones?

How long does it take?

Any HDB permit required?

My ID says can be saved and need not replace. But somehow I am not quite comfortable with it especially for bathroom and toilet where I will be boxing them up, but I am worried it will affect my reno timeline.

Just trying to get some opinions.

Edited by ejszaka

I'll advise to get it change to PVC for good. Some money can't save one. Also, hv ur estate underwent upgrading oredi? Cos if haven and ur old metal pipes needs replacement when it comes to upgrading, the hdb contractor will juz dismantle ur boxup and replace the pipes BUT the catch is u hv to get ur own contractors to make good the boxup thereafter, at ur own costs. This was wat happened to my neighbor.

Pomelo Home also has some really cool posters. And they carry amazing stuff from Blu Dot and Established & Sons too! :)