Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ihuazai

Double Glaze Windows

Anyone did double glaze windows before?

I'm trying to find a few more contractors for quotes. Hoping the folks here can give some recommendations!

I got a $3400 quote from Pang Giap for my corridor windows, but it seems they are getting bad reviews on this forum!

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hmmm.. I believe double glazing window has recently just started to heat up. However, in Europe, the standard is already at triple glazing.

How long is the length of your corridor windows? I happened to know of a company who specialized in glass work. The company is quite well known in Europe and have taken up quite a number of projects here in Singapore.

You might want to try your luck with them? In addition, I heard that they are starting a production line to bring in a new product to Singapore, which they call it the "Switchable Glass", whereby this glass is using power supply to control its visibility just like our LRT where it can be opaque or totally transparent with a control of a switch. I'm not sure about the price thought but no harm giving them a call.

Do PM me for their contact if you intend to look for them. =)

H155cm, L295cm.

Will send u a PM for their contact.

Hmmm.. I believe double glazing window has recently just started to heat up. However, in Europe, the standard is already at triple glazing.

How long is the length of your corridor windows? I happened to know of a company who specialized in glass work. The company is quite well known in Europe and have taken up quite a number of projects here in Singapore.

You might want to try your luck with them? In addition, I heard that they are starting a production line to bring in a new product to Singapore, which they call it the "Switchable Glass", whereby this glass is using power supply to control its visibility just like our LRT where it can be opaque or totally transparent with a control of a switch. I'm not sure about the price thought but no harm giving them a call.

Do PM me for their contact if you intend to look for them. =)

Just for my info, what are the benefits of double glazing? I thought mainly to prevent heat to escape, which I defnitely wanted in winter overseas but not in Singapore? Another reason was maybe soundproofing. Is it for security reasons?

Just for my info, what are the benefits of double glazing? I thought mainly to prevent heat to escape, which I defnitely wanted in winter overseas but not in Singapore? Another reason was maybe soundproofing. Is it for security reasons?

to reduce noise coming in from heavy traffic in front of my room :)

Was quoted $4250 for :

living room -5 panes (4 swing 1 fixed), study - 5 panes (4 swing 1 fixed)

Master - 2 panes (both swing)

Kitchen - 3 panes (all swing)

Double glazed with sandtobene rubber gasket.

Not sure if this is a good price.

Anyone did double glaze windows before?

I'm trying to find a few more contractors for quotes. Hoping the folks here can give some recommendations!

I got a $3400 quote from Pang Giap for my corridor windows, but it seems they are getting bad reviews on this forum!

Hi huazai,

Are we able to change the windows at the corridor. I tot 9orridor windows can only be sliding not casement. Can enligten?

Hi huazai,

Are we able to change the windows at the corridor. I tot 9orridor windows can only be sliding not casement. Can enligten?

Dunno, Pang Giap says they can get the necessary HDB approval.

Bravoglass is now quoting $280/sqm for double glaze + extra for frames. Still awaiting final quote.

Main purpose of double glazing is to reduce heat. It will also cut the noise. But if your main purpose is to cut noise, should consider laminated glass instead. Get it with the 2 sheets of glass at different thickness. More effective.

Main purpose of double glazing is to reduce heat. It will also cut the noise. But if your main purpose is to cut noise, should consider laminated glass instead. Get it with the 2 sheets of glass at different thickness. More effective.

How does laminated glass reduce noise?

Any good contractor with reasonable prices to recommend?

Hi ihuazai,

if you're concern only about the noise, how about soundproofing the windows, hence reducing the noise that is coming from outside.

Double glazing's main purpose is for energy saving. And the main bulk of the costing of the technology is also for this reason.

During cold days, it will help to trap heat in the house to keep it warm. Likewise, on hot days (Like most days in Singapore), it keep the temperature cooling inside the house. The energy saving portion apply when you switch on your air-con in a hot day, it keep the temperature at that specific temperature without taxing on the aircon. It saves on the electrical usage, hence energy saving.

I understand some of the developers are going for this awards and hence installing double glazing windows. In fact, to my understanding, in Europe, they have already enforce Triple Glazing as a standard for all housing. =)

How does laminated glass reduce noise?

Any good contractor with reasonable prices to recommend?

You can google for info on laminated glass and noise reduction/sound insulation.

Or take a read of the technical bulletin here:

http://www.pilkington.com/products/bp/bybenefit/noisecontrol/optiphon/default.htm

Double glazing, which is the term commonly used for a glazing of 2 layers of glass separated by an air gap, is more for heat insulation. For sound insulation, the air gap must be big, like 6 cm or more.

Laminated glass is usually 2 sheets sandwiching a layer of PVB and is more effective in reducing sound. It gets more effective when you use glass of different thickness.

Its not just about the glass. You have to pay attention to the whole window system -- any gaps? how tightly secured?

You can try Fascina. They are one of the more known ones. You can also engage the usual window makers who are cheaper, but you'll probably have to specify what you want and won't be able to really rely on them for advice. Then there are the smaller, more boutique type of businesses. They have good engineering and can cost anything from in between Fascina and the mass market manufacturers to way above Fascina.