Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
piknik

}[ No Money Still Wanna Do Reno ]{

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Yeah!!! Finally signed with Alan and discussed carpentry works in details on the same day. :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

Congratz... :yamseng::drunk:

--- the perfect LED panel as faux sky light ---

My hubby has spent his precious free time to look for a perfect solution to the faux sky light. He came across a local company who carries many LED products, with very clear info on each of the product and the boss' knowledge will put all other salesperson we met to shame. We should have ordered our other LED lights from this guy instead... Haiz....

The website: www.vtxsolutions.webs.com

The one we gotta buy:

7158639111_06b85f8872_z_d.jpg

7158639763_e40e4f6faf_d.jpg

The size of the panel is 600x600.. Squarish, not exactly what we are looking for: a rectangular size.. we got no choice but accept this squarish size as the area to install this panel is quite narrow, a rectangular size doesn't fit here (it only comes in 600x1200, just too long or too wide).

Price: $280.

We need to design a frame so the light area will look like a window, like this:

7343848970_3f81c86406_d.jpg

Edited by piknik

--- carpenter's drawings ---

After we signed with Alan on Sunday morning, we had 4 hours to discuss details with his carpenter immediately, and decided laminate colors right on the spot.. When others got days to choose laminate and paint colors, we got a few mins to decide only... Haha, not that we complained, we knew exactly what we want so decision making is just fast enough.

But, for carpentry details, as we were trying to be clear and fast as much as possible to talk things to the carpentry, we missed out a few important details and we gave Alan many calls after that to tell him so... And he was kind of unhappy as he thought we decided to change major things. Tonight we will sit down with him to confirm again all these details.. Hope he understand we are not fussy people.

Drawings:

1/ shoe cabinet:

7158656813_9c42b6c459_d.jpg

2/ bookshelf and study table:

7158657179_0a4e48bfc0_d.jpg

Yeah, we are going to have a yellow bookshelf. Finally can have a yellow item!

3/ wardrobe:

7158657599_355c141d9b_d.jpg

The wood laminate color is to match the wood color of our systemind platforms in both living room and master bedroom.

4/ kitchen:

7343865318_df5a0f36a2_d.jpg

It has been so difficult to have a yellow cabinet for kitchen as I wish.. Our kitchen wall tiles came in pink n white. It's just impossible to have a yellow color next to PINK. I hate HDB's design team. Really..

So, we are going to have a very common kitchen nowadays: black and white kitchen. About the glass backing for area btw top and bottom kitchen cabinets, we are going to try yellow there.. But we are asking Alan if we can put design pattern sticker on his glass instead.. At first we thought of strips but it's not so nice so we want pattern now.. Especially after seeing the kitchen of this blog: ---here--- Need Alan's answer first.. Oh, we can't do tile overlaying as its costly and would make hdb wall tiles a waste of money.. Haiz... Sometimes, it seems like buying a standard hdb flat is a much better choice as you can do anything you want with the floors, walls and bathrooms. For a premium flat, especially when you buy it as a sale of balance flat, you can't do anything unless you have load of cash to waste.

Edited by piknik

I enjoyed reading your blog because of the artistic drawings, cut and paste pictures which makes things so much easier to understand :thumbs up: Can't do anything to the pink wall tiles, like taping it over? A yellow kitchen will brighten up the day :sport-smiley-004:

Hi guys!!

We have talked to Alan just now. Many things have been confirmed. This friday we will have gas piping up, done by city gas people.

Abt the kitchen: only yellow glass backing for us! At least we still got yellow!

And ayazumi, yeah, pink and yellow is a nice combo so i am glad to tell you that after meeting Alan,hubby and I literally ran to Pickle and Rail shop to order two fibre glass EM chairs in this combo! Its on sale. I prefer this shop's chair than Lush Lush or Cormfort Living, feel that the quality of replica stuff ia much better. ;) finally i have succumbed to the IT chair. Haiz....

Nice! Remember to post the chair picture. I love yellow and pink combo. They definitely match very well together.

1.jpg

If you can't own a yellow kitchen, maybe buy bright yellow appliances to match?

kitchenaid-mixer-yellow-pepper-stand-mixer.jpg

We do intend to buy other small things or home appliances in yellow, if possible. ;) abt the hob, i will have to tell my hubby as i have been flickle-minded, kept on changing my choice on hob n my hubby got annoyed already. Sad.

We still dont know which washing machine to choose from..

I don't know how usually Alan works. But it seems like my hubby and I have a not fun time chasing after him. He didnt give us enough time to provide all details without missing this and that (as we were rushed into deciding). Then we don't know if we provide him with enough details so there is no mistake.. Then we gotta call and SMS him to make sure he is reminded of what have been confirmed..

Today, it turned out to be electrical wiring day. Luckily i sent a message to Alan early in the morning to remind him of our faux beam width and he called me back immediately bc he thought it was another size.. Hubby and I quickly drew detailed plan so Alan could show his electrical man. But Alan said no need, he got it right already.. My hubby is as usual, very doubtful. So he quickly ran to our flat and met the electrical guy. Poor thing. The guy was in a blur state.. So hubby explained everything to him. I think I either don't really care much abt Reno details or I totally trust Alan.. until it irritates my hubby. He found that there are just too many works for us to do to ensure things are done correctly.

We went to buy lights, as Alan told us to get them ready for next week installation. (why so fast huh? We don't even have the properly schedule from Alan yet) and we gotta called Alan a few times to make sure we bought the correct size for the downlights, which will be installed at one end of the faux beams.

Then came decision on ceiling fan. Saw haiku fan, found it ........ normal. I don't know, I have fancied this fan for so long through photos and I didn't know why I am quite unimpressed seeing it myself in real life. Maybe the shop is too cramped, too dark, too in-suitable for such a simple designer fan. The shop is selling it @ $950. Siao. I bought 3 KdK ones instead, at the shop next door, Blisslite, together with other lights.

Now the interesting part: one of the light shop we bought from will install their lights n the baby fan for us for FREE. Alan charges us $280 for whole house lighting. I didn't ask details at this previously as it never occurs to me that the lighting shop will install things for free. Should I ask Alan to minus these lights from his quote? It's two bathroom lights and a kitchen light. Hahaha... For whole house, we have 11 light points to install. Now I feel $280 for whole house lighting is ah hem.. expensive? 3 ceiling fans x $50 = $150 more. All these extra power point n relocating light point.... Hix..

From a planned budget of 12K for interior works, now it has reached $20K and beyond. We will be super broke at the end of the month.

Alan hasn't collected the 40% deposit (2nd payment) from us.

We had a schedule calendar from ID showing when things will be done right up to handover day. However, he does reschedule things a bit but will definitely inform us of the change. Our electrical laying of cables was brought forward by a week but they would come a 2nd or even a 3rd time for pts and lights installation after painting.

Hence, maybe both of you can get Alan to let you all have a rough time table of when things are needed all the way to handover date. Let him know that you need more time buying stuff which both of you like and not things just to accommodate his timing.

I'm sure he will understand and oblige. Meanwhile, since you know what will be needed subsequently, hunt now lah. Just call him to reconfirm the correct dimension B4 purchase. Hold him responsible if salah size! :rolleyes: