Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
piknik

}[ No Money Still Wanna Do Reno ]{

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Might be able to list out for u some of the pros and cons for having the sink so far left.

Bigger and longer work space area.

Just turn and u can throw your dishes into the sink... :P

Water splash onto the floor, especially if your living/dining floor are those glossy finishing...slippery.

Lesser walk space if someone want to pass thru while u doing the washing, depend on the length of the dining table and width of the chair.

Look like u do not have the dish tray holder so most likely u either going to put a standing 1 or wipe clean after washing and keep in drawers.

Dun mind I share my opinion too. I think the triangle(b/w sink, hob & fridge) is a too wide. not sure if u read abt it b4, if not can a quick summary abt kitchen triangle here : http://ergonomics.about.com/od/kitchen/f/work_triangle.htm

Piknik u r so lucky to have jaskel advising you on so many pointers.. Hope ur Reno will be smooth from now on and complete soon..

Yah!! And I missed him for my Reno!

Piknik u r so lucky to have jaskel advising you on so many pointers.. Hope ur Reno will be smooth from now on and complete soon..

Yah!! And I missed him for my Reno!

Haiya, i also missed him for my reno leh. I emailed him and tried to call him many times around nov-dec 2011. No respondse. That is why now i have a not so smooth reno beginning. Hahahahhaha.... Joking. You guys have completed your reno already, can settle down in your own house. I havent even got my kitchen sink pipes done correctly after three weeks. Dont compare and get jealous. I think this is a compensation for my bad starting. By having Jaskel giving advices. Agree?? :yamseng:

Dun mind I share my opinion too. I think the triangle(b/w sink, hob & fridge) is a too wide. not sure if u read abt it b4, if not can a quick summary abt kitchen triangle here : http://ergonomics.about.com/od/kitchen/f/work_triangle.htm

Kitchen Work Triangle Basics

Each leg of the triangle should be between 4 and 9 feet

The total of all three legs should be between 12 and 26 feet

No obstructions (cabinets, islands, etc.) should intersect a leg of the work triangle

Household traffic should not flow through the work triangle

i calculate. My tiny kitchen has around less than 12ft for all three legs leh, using my prefered kitchen layout. Now it is not too wide, it is a bit tight! But no choice, since my original kitchen size is already the smallest in my estate. Cannot do anything abt it except hacking wall to create bigger space illusion. :) my neighbour with the same kitchen size and she uses the original layout, two side kitchen top b bottom cabinet, fridge space... The counter top space left to prepare food and place things is only about < 80cm.

New flats' kitchen layout tend to be smaller than old houses. It is not easy to achieve a perfect triangle kitchen. Just do what is best for you to maximize your kitchen workspace as long no obstruction or hazard in kitchen

Might be able to list out for u some of the pros and cons for having the sink so far left.

Bigger and longer work space area.

Just turn and u can throw your dishes into the sink... :P

Water splash onto the floor, especially if your living/dining floor are those glossy finishing...slippery.

Lesser walk space if someone want to pass thru while u doing the washing, depend on the length of the dining table and width of the chair.

Look like u do not have the dish tray holder so most likely u either going to put a standing 1 or wipe clean after washing and keep in drawers.

Firstly, thank you very much for your advice around 3am in the morning. You should sleep early. Like this, aging comes very fast. It would result in less chances for people like me to be able to receive your good advice

I have read through all your comment with my hubby, discussed through and these are what we think:

1/ study room:

-- we actually did a site measurement and discussed with Alex, my window grill contractor. We realised we cannot do the L-shaped due to the window grills extruding out. The book shelf for long term used should not be plywood material. Was recommended MDF material instead, or better, solid wood. It would be expensive though... So we are considering Hoffen to do this for us, but havent received the quotation so cannot comment further.

-- for power plug area, thanks that you point out the plug dimension and the flip opening piece for the hidden power socket compartment.. We gotta take note of these when discussing with carpenters.

-- we 'd like a full length work station, as both of us are motion graphic designesr/ illustrators. We need a space for an imac, a mac pro station, and a lightbox (for doing 2D animation), also, a space to do craft works. Intend go have 70cm deep for the table. Was told that we need some form of support for the long table to be sturdy, ex. a drawer compartment in the middle and at the two ends.

-- just two planks at the small portruding-inward wall costs $450! Siao!!! :furious: is it okie to diy this, then we can display some toys. Hehe..,

2/ for kitchen:

-- the blum corner drawer idea is really briliant! Thanks a lot! We will ask the chosen contractor to do this. Normally, we will be charged double for the same corner 1ft measurement right?

-- we have stood in the kitchen site and tried to move around... Did our own masking tape marking. The sink position like in our drawing is the best position for us. We dont have a disk drainer cabinet. We will need to buy a dish drainer tray, and better to place it to the kitchen corner than nearer to the dining table area. And dishes will be kept in drawers when they r dry.

-- i like to have counterspace on left and right of my sink. :) will need a deep sink though.

I will post my mood board for L-shaped wardrobe. Seem like L-shaped is not well-liked by contractors. ;( need your expertise again.

Firstly, thank you very much for your advice around 3am in the morning. You should sleep early. Like this, aging comes very fast. It would result in less chances for people like me to be able to receive your good advice

I'm working at night this few weeks, so usually sleeping in the morning :D

I have read through all your comment with my hubby, discussed through and these are what we think:

1/ study room:

-- we actually did a site measurement and discussed with Alex, my window grill contractor. We realised we cannot do the L-shaped due to the window grills extruding out. The book shelf for long term used should not be plywood material. Was recommended MDF material instead, or better, solid wood. It would be expensive though... So we are considering Hoffen to do this for us, but havent received the quotation so cannot comment further.

Actually using plywood shouldn't be a problem at all, just need thicker depth (as long as its not board-block). Instead of using the normal 15mm thickness, u might consider telling your carpenter to use a 21-24mm depth, also need to consider the support in the middle.

-- for power plug area, thanks that you point out the plug dimension and the flip opening piece for the hidden power socket compartment.. We gotta take note of these when discussing with carpenters.

-- we 'd like a full length work station, as both of us are motion graphic designesr/ illustrators. We need a space for an imac, a mac pro station, and a lightbox (for doing 2D animation), also, a space to do craft works. Intend go have 70cm deep for the table. Was told that we need some form of support for the long table to be sturdy, ex. a drawer compartment in the middle and at the two ends.

If u going to have the cable management compartment, that means the end of the table below will be used for that. Ask the carpenter to do the support at that area. Also u can consider doing 1 layer of drawer below the table top , this will prevent the table top from sagging over the time.

-- just two planks at the small portruding-inward wall costs $450! Siao!!! :furious: is it okie to diy this, then we can display some toys. Hehe..,

No comment cos I will charge around that price too... :D

2/ for kitchen:

-- the blum corner drawer idea is really briliant! Thanks a lot! We will ask the chosen contractor to do this. Normally, we will be charged double for the same corner 1ft measurement right?

Yes, actually its 2ft.

-- we have stood in the kitchen site and tried to move around... Did our own masking tape marking. The sink position like in our drawing is the best position for us. We dont have a disk drainer cabinet. We will need to buy a dish drainer tray, and better to place it to the kitchen corner than nearer to the dining table area. And dishes will be kept in drawers when they r dry.

-- i like to have counterspace on left and right of my sink. :) will need a deep sink though.

I will post my mood board for L-shaped wardrobe. Seem like L-shaped is not well-liked by contractors. ;( need your expertise again.

Anything to do with L-shape, I don't like it too. Cos need to charge double on the corner but owner don't gain double space for that.

Edited by jaskel

Hi Jaskel, thanks again for your in-put.

So $450 for two short suspended shelves is normal practice.. Hm... I will tell my hubby.

We dont really know how to maximise the wardrobe space if not using L-shaped design.. The room is already small, with a normal 1.9m long wardrobe (no L-shaped), we could only squeeze a small bedside table in between the bed n wardrobe. Not much storage space left.

--- corner drawer ---

6913436178_ed94a59487_z_d.jpg

--- ceramic sink ---

7059519391_fa73dd2e9d_z_d.jpg

--- nyatoh bi-fold door for master bathroom ---

A local company sells it @ $250 per door, black color frame though

7059519257_8a21ac06fd_d.jpg

--- kitchen latest photo ---

Like i have said, pipe changed to copper but at the wrong position.

Will be rectified.

6913436944_9931753811_z_d.jpg

Now we r worried if the pvc pipe has certain problem and we r kept in the dark...

Cos we cannot be there to supervise.

The worker came at super odd hour.

He was supposed to fix this om saturday 5pm (yeah, weird 5pm)

But we waited one hour n he didnt come.

Tommy said, his worker was busy at another project.

Haiz..