Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
piknik

}[ No Money Still Wanna Do Reno ]{

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Money involved so need a BnW piece of paper to give assurance n kind of solution for difficult situation, especially when Tommy's health is concerned. Anyway, no discussion on contract yet but the guy seemed to be less interested in our low budget project n he currently only does landed property projects leh.. I just read my husband's message history with Tommy, surprised at the suggested attitude to easily drop our project.

Umm.. I need seriously a solution to meet my target moving in date already. How long does it take a carpentry factory to fabricate my kitchen? Anyone knows?

:) we choose an open concept kitchen. Thats why I just ordered a powerful hood, hahha...

The carpentry factory (located in singapore) that my main contractor engaged, took 4 working days to fabricate all my built-in cabinets after he submitted the drawings to them. They just delivered my carpentry this week; it was actually 1 week earlier than scheduled date.

You also need to allocate a few days on your side to choose laminates and finalise the cabinet drawings.

Hope your renovation problem will be settled soon. Cheers :)

Will the noise or vibration be quite loud / violent for fisher and paykel brand?

It sound like plane taking off during dry spin. As for noise tolerance level dunno as diff ppl have diff tolerance level and how secluded is the washing area.

My WM is also top load Fisher & Paykel. It is very loud during dry spin. Can hear the noise throughout the house. Once a week, I have to push WM back a little because vibration shifted it forward. Apart from these, it is reliable and user friendly.

So far I still prefer top load. Using Hitachi, not loud. pretty ok.

Easy to throw in extra or miss out clothing after washing starts.

For top load, sometimes when spinning dry, if the load is not balance, it will stop and sound off an alarm, this is where you will need to open & balance the load. (This super seldom happens with the newer models, except if you are washing only 1 X blanket.)

For front load, non of the above will happen. But for me, not applicable as sometimes, after started washing, then remember need to go room to check if still got cloths to wash bo :bangwall: :bangwall:

No Money Still Wanna Do Reno.

Our inspiration / money saving plan to house deco:

6482236259_776bd6c232_b_d.jpg

We will try to DYI our own jokes on to our walls.

A budget constraint will force u to think creatively and intelligent to save cost and yet be able to achieve the optimal impact your design can produce.

A budget constraint will force u to think creatively and intelligent to save cost and yet be able to achieve the optimal impact your design can produce.

My creativity super limited, hence got tonnes of ideas from all your blog. :sport-smiley-004: :sport-smiley-004: :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

--- looking for contractor again ---

we have called Sam last Sunday n will meet him this Saturday at my new flat, gotta ask him directly if he is keen to help us fix the problem.

Aslo, being persuaded by my new neighbour, who works @ mother company of Hoffen, to let hoffen ppl give us a better quote for a package of kitchen n master wardrobe. My hubby saw the workmanship n carpentry works at this neighbout's flat, he was impressed as instead of solid plywood, hoffen wardrobe is made of MDF (yes, this material, if you have read my previous post abt it) and it is very sturdy. Right now for wardrobe, there is a promotion $330 per foot run I think. Was told it is cheaper than ikea wardrobe price.

--- next target moving in date ---

NONE. As we have postponed my parents' visit to a non-confirmed date. This is to prevent any pressure for our renovation period. We don't know when we will resume the reno now..

Also, consider the noise n dust at the place, I feel it's not good for my baby to move in too early. Hubby doesn't like the idea but no choice.

--- to astarz and battle and other friends ---

ideas r best being shared. I will soon post our own drawings n ideas for lighting. Will wonder how to solve lighting problem if we want a fan in living room

and no L-box or false ceiling.

For washing machine, I have tried to look @ other top load brands. Since my family have been loyal fan of hitachi top load, I mostly will just look @ this brand first, then samsung or panasonic. But the continental top load is my husband's favourite choice due to the slim feature. One renotalk member used this brant top load for a while now n said it is good so far. We don't mind the noise of washing machine when washing. ;)

ideas r best being shared. I will soon post our own drawings n ideas for lighting. Will wonder how to solve lighting problem if we want a fan in living room

and no L-box or false ceiling.

erm... what we did for our prev. place was to put the fan in the center.. and installed two lights beside.

Hi piknik,

I read your blog & empathise with what you are going through! I too used a friend's friend for my reno & he turned out to be an ideal match for me. We did sign a contract & everything was very properly done & official. Even if its a friend I think as a professional, he should give you a contract so that you can have peace of mind as owners. If he doesn't provide one or doesn't want to sign one, then you might have a feeling that he might have something to hide, or try to hide behind "friendship" when something goes wrong. I prefer to be upfront about it. Did he charge you a very low price compared to the other contractors you met? Good luck :thumbs up:

Edited by calliecats

Ayazumi, cannot work with Tommy already. His price is actually only cheaper by max 3K compared to other contractors', lots of hidden cost, that's why we kept insisting on a very detailed quotation and contract and drawings before reno started. It's a mistake that I didn't voice out my concern when Tommy rushed my husband into applying for reno permit n hacking permit. Think abt it again, I feel worse abt this guy. My husband blamed himself for this situation. Haiz..

Hubby kept ipad today so I can't do any photo posting. Got lots of photo to share soon. From our drawings for carpentry to show contractor n carpenter to mood board for all the rooms, and current state of the flat after Tommy cleared things up on Wednesday.

---- side note -----

funny how I can't sleep tonite. Thunders and lightening made me think of a tsunami situation in Singapore. I can't swim due to drowning experience. I don't know how I will protect my baby if such disaster happens. Maybe I have to make an effort to master swimming, and buy some life vests to keep in store room.

Oh well..

Oh dear. Hope you can resolve your reno woes soon.

For fan, some models come with lights but design is the retro type. Not sure if it helps but do take note of the potential strobing effect if the lights are too close to the fan: http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/preventing-strobing-effect-from-ceiling-fans/

Are you open to using wall lamps instead of fixing on the ceiling?

Thanks, calliecats. Cute nick. ;)

Totally agree with your comment.

----

thedottylines, my new flat comes with concealed wiring so we are concerned abt trunking if we add two lights besides the ceiling fan. My hubby thought of having a square false ceiling (small size) around the White KDK ceiling fan. Or just mount the ceiling fan on this false ceiling. Phillip Downlight with dimmer remote would be cool.

we don't want ceiling fan with light. Hm.

---

Oh, I remember May_dream mentioned the smell of food with open concept kitchen. The food smell is never our concern. Oil is a major concern. ;) so hopefully the fuijoh food work as well as reviews said.