Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
piknik

}[ No Money Still Wanna Do Reno ]{

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

--- DRAMA. Just a few days of Reno, too soon to expect one right? ---

Like I said before, we decided to engage our friend who is a contractor for the Reno. I have always been afraid if something bad happens, this will cost our relationship, to be exact, my husband's relationship with this guy.

Tonight, when I was having my avocado milk shake with honey, my daughter was sleeping next to me.. My husband SMS-Ed and said Tommy doesn't like our idea of signing a Reno contract. Well, we haven't signed anything with Tommy and we are about to give him 30-40% of the Reno cost as deposit payment. To us, first time home owner, this is fine, as we trust Tommy. But we are also professionals at work and we believe doing things for charity also need to perform certain degree of professionalism. So, to be clear and to avoid bad experience, we'd normally want a contract. And like any other contract, there is a term called "depending on negotiation btw home owner and Reno contractor". Well. Like this already, still can make someone flare up and accuses us for not trusting him.

I could understand the guy has certain health issue right now that stops him from receiving extra projects, and he is rich enough to not just suddenly run away with our little deposit payment. We know his family members, home address...I have no doubt abt that. I just want things to be clear for whatever situation arises in the future, that's all. Haiz... I have met all the sensitive males, seriously, they are just suddenly too sensitive to think clearly about our position.

I have had a peaceful day today, my 11 months old baby just spoke her first "baby" word. Very cute. And I didn't expect to end this day with such a "BANG". My husband is still at work, stressed now bc of this. We together think of a back up plan already.

Life is never dull. Things happen when you least expect it.

:dribble::bangwall: :bangwall:

:yamseng: :yamseng:

--- DRAMA. Just a few days of Reno, too soon to expect one right? ---

Like I said before, we decided to engage our friend who is a contractor for the Reno. I have always been afraid if something bad happens, this will cost our relationship, to be exact, my husband's relationship with this guy.

Tonight, when I was having my avocado milk shake with honey, my daughter was sleeping next to me.. My husband SMS-Ed and said Tommy doesn't like our idea of signing a Reno contract. Well, we haven't signed anything with Tommy and we are about to give him 30-40% of the Reno cost as deposit payment. To us, first time home owner, this is fine, as we trust Tommy. But we are also professionals at work and we believe doing things for charity also need to perform certain degree of professionalism. So, to be clear and to avoid bad experience, we'd normally want a contract. And like any other contract, there is a term called "depending on negotiation btw home owner and Reno contractor". Well. Like this already, still can make someone flare up and accuses us for not trusting him.

I could understand the guy has certain health issue right now that stops him from receiving extra projects, and he is rich enough to not just suddenly run away with our little deposit payment. We know his family members, home address...I have no doubt abt that. I just want things to be clear for whatever situation arises in the future, that's all. Haiz... I have met all the sensitive males, seriously, they are just suddenly too sensitive to think clearly about our position.

I have had a peaceful day today, my 11 months old baby just spoke her first "baby" word. Very cute. And I didn't expect to end this day with such a "BANG". My husband is still at work, stressed now bc of this. We together think of a back up plan already.

Life is never dull. Things happen when you least expect it.

:dribble::bangwall: :bangwall:

:yamseng: :yamseng:

hhmm...yah lor. just in case mah. later any dispute very difficult to say worr

You hacking 1 wall only? Hehe.... Open kitchen?

Since your case is friend that help you do Reno, how to ask him to sign contract leh? Your poor hubby, so late still at work? Must be really stressed by work and reno.

Money involved so need a BnW piece of paper to give assurance n kind of solution for difficult situation, especially when Tommy's health is concerned. Anyway, no discussion on contract yet but the guy seemed to be less interested in our low budget project n he currently only does landed property projects leh.. I just read my husband's message history with Tommy, surprised at the suggested attitude to easily drop our project.

Umm.. I need seriously a solution to meet my target moving in date already. How long does it take a carpentry factory to fabricate my kitchen? Anyone knows?

:) we choose an open concept kitchen. Thats why I just ordered a powerful hood, hahha...

Money involved so need a BnW piece of paper to give assurance n kind of solution for difficult situation, especially when Tommy's health is concerned. Anyway, no discussion on contract yet but the guy seemed to be less interested in our low budget project n he currently only does landed property projects leh.. I just read my husband's message history with Tommy, surprised at the suggested attitude to easily drop our project.

Umm.. I need seriously a solution to meet my target moving in date already. How long does it take a carpentry factory to fabricate my kitchen? Anyone knows?

:) we choose an open concept kitchen. Thats why I just ordered a powerful hood, hahha...

like this need to change contractor not? not easy to continue if done halfway.

As I know from my contractor, to fabricate cabinet need about 5 days. If everything already done except cabinet then can be like another forumer, he just get another carpenter to do cabinet.

Hey all the best in your reno and hope everything goes fine :thumbs up:

BTW for your kitchen lay-out (open concept), before you cook, use a fan, blow towards your service balcony, it will generate a air-flow outwards, so when you start cooking, with the help of your hood, it will minimize smokes or smell travelling towards your living room. :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

Hey all the best in your reno and hope everything goes fine :thumbs up:

BTW for your kitchen lay-out (open concept), before you cook, use a fan, blow towards your service balcony, it will generate a air-flow outwards, so when you start cooking, with the help of your hood, it will minimize smokes or smell travelling towards your living room. :thumbs up: :thumbs up:

then must make sure the stove is not gas. or else the fire will be blown off too. :P

like this need to change contractor not? not easy to continue if done halfway.

Supposedly, only hacking n make good of wall done so far. If Tommy keeps his word regardless what happened last night, should have shower kerb for master toilet with U channel ready for shower screen, base for kitchen, washing machine area and fridge.

But since even this morning, Tommy didn't response to us still. We are ready to give the project to someone else more trustworthy already. My husband will talk to Tommy's family members later to see what can be done abt this, in the best way.

LESSON: be it friends or not, have black and white contract discussed first, then start the renovation. We mentioned the contract a few times to Tommy but he "forgot" about it until last night, hubby casually asked abt it again when he told us to pay half of the renovation cost to him as deposit first, the rest can wait til all the Reno jobs are done. He can casually reject the idea what? N tell us why he doesn't like it.. Why such a big statement "don't do this any more"? Luckily we haven't paid the big amount yet.

I have done projects FOC for charity groups and schools before, still had to display total professionalism to these projects. I can't understand why Tommy doesn't like us to expect a contract, estimated schedule details for reno schedule? To be honest. We are replying heavily on him to tell us what will happen the next day, as his men are busy with big money projects else where. We are able to accept that. Biggest worry is abt his health. What if suddenly he goes for medical treatment? Who will take over?

hello.

i hope i could have some immediate help regarding the aircon installation matter.

pls answer if you know something okie.

thanks a lot.

here is the question:

-- i have contacted a*** to purchase the aircon unit from him.

-- i ordered class 0 insulation pipe with the copper pipe grade 23.

-- repeatedly email him the details prior to the piping installation date, which is today.

-- ended up: given class 1 insulation pipe.

--> is there any major difference btw class 0 n class 1? i understand class 0 is fire proof where class 1's enduration is weaker.

--> should i just accept class 1 given by a*** (due to typo error, he said, should be class 1 in the first place only)?

--> everyone is not happy leh. when i told my hubby to just stick to class 0 as it was stated clearly in the quote.

--> how to have a good installation like this?

haiz... haiz.. haiz...

Class 1 insulation is good enough. Do not go for class 2 and there is no need for Class 0 which is meant for industrial requirement.

Class 1 insulation is good enough. Do not go for class 2 and there is no need for Class 0 which is meant for industrial requirement.

Thanks. I know That now.. But followed the quote anyway. :)

Edited by piknik

kitchen cabinet takes around 2 weeks to be completed. carpentry 5 days, then solid surface or granite another 1 week depend on their schedule. Follow by electrical and plumbling works. If having tempered glass backsplash, for HDB project, normally 7-10 working days. That's the ideal goes with the flow, slow and steady work schedule for kitchen cabinet.

Of course there is a 1 week completion for kitchen cabinet too..look for IKEA..lol..just joking. :D

Edited by jaskel

Supposedly, only hacking n make good of wall done so far. If Tommy keeps his word regardless what happened last night, should have shower kerb for master toilet with U channel ready for shower screen, base for kitchen, washing machine area and fridge.

But since even this morning, Tommy didn't response to us still. We are ready to give the project to someone else more trustworthy already. My husband will talk to Tommy's family members later to see what can be done abt this, in the best way.

LESSON: be it friends or not, have black and white contract discussed first, then start the renovation. We mentioned the contract a few times to Tommy but he "forgot" about it until last night, hubby casually asked abt it again when he told us to pay half of the renovation cost to him as deposit first, the rest can wait til all the Reno jobs are done. He can casually reject the idea what? N tell us why he doesn't like it.. Why such a big statement "don't do this any more"? Luckily we haven't paid the big amount yet.

I have done projects FOC for charity groups and schools before, still had to display total professionalism to these projects. I can't understand why Tommy doesn't like us to expect a contract, estimated schedule details for reno schedule? To be honest. We are replying heavily on him to tell us what will happen the next day, as his men are busy with big money projects else where. We are able to accept that. Biggest worry is abt his health. What if suddenly he goes for medical treatment? Who will take over?

Sorry to hear about that. Most contractors are work independently, so they take care of several projects sometimes so as to earn more. Its goes the same to some house owners also, due to budget constraint, how many willing to pay more for better services, at least 2 persons are taking care of the project together, eg. supervisor/coordinator and manager?

Edited by jaskel