First time at RenoTalk here.

I myself has been a carpenter for many years and

would like to share my experience in carpentry

works with everyone.

People who have any question at DIY on carpentry

works may post here to share with everyone or may

PM me.(post with pictures will be good)

Thanks and sorry for the bad english.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

HELLO!! just nice i was about to ask a question..

what are the different types of wood we can use to DIY shelves and other furniture.. i know some wood are used only for certain things.. can u pls tell me the different types of wood tt are good? lik kapok wood, plywood.. their properties and such.. because i cannot find it online!

I'm trying to DIY doors for my shelf and i was thinking of plywood.. but another fren ask me not to use plywood..

HELLO!! just nice i was about to ask a question..

what are the different types of wood we can use to DIY shelves and other furniture.. i know some wood are used only for certain things.. can u pls tell me the different types of wood tt are good? lik kapok wood, plywood.. their properties and such.. because i cannot find it online!

I'm trying to DIY doors for my shelf and i was thinking of plywood.. but another fren ask me not to use plywood..

Hi,

For DIY shelves or doors usually plywood will do.Kapor or chengai wood are mainly for outdoors use and need to varnish or paint.

Depending on the size for the shelves or doors you intend to DIY,plywood comes in 4ft x 8ft and you just need to cut to size.

For DIY door you need:

1.20mm thick plywood(三合板) with both side paste with nice coloured pvc or one side only with the other paste with laminate yourself.

2.need to drill some holes for the hinges area(shorter door 2 holes longer doors 3 holes)

3.need to wrap up four sides of the door using either ABS trimming,laminate or pvc.

Note:above door is for concealed hinge.

Hope i have a little help to my 1st question :)

Hi Bro. Have some questions on using formica.

1) What is the best way to cut formica ? Heard that i need to score a line and break it in opposite direction ?

1) The formica should be cut slightly bigger and trimmed down after sticking onto wood right ?

2) What is the best way to properly trim the excess formica ? Some hardwareshop say trim using rounter, wood plane etc...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by northguysg

Hi Bro Ning. Have some questions on using formica.

1) What is the best way to cut formica ? Heard that i need to score a line and break it in opposite direction ?

1) The formica should be cut slightly bigger and trimmed down after sticking onto wood right ?

2) What is the best way to properly trim the excess formica ? Some hardwareshop say trim using rounter, wood plane etc...

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Laminate usually comes in 4 x 8 ft or even bigger.You did not mention how big the laminate you intend to cut.

If you intend to DIY at home ,best is to ask a factory that uses a saw machine to cut out for you the sizes

you need and then bring it home.

Anyway:

1.Place laminate in FLAT area,do your marking,use a ruler or straight wood(if you have),press and hold,cut

with a stronger and harder blade pen knife.

Need to cut a few times down until laminate is about to break or you may just cut through if the laminate

is those thin ones.

IMPORTANT:Be very very careful when doing this when cutting.Like you said,you need to get a first cut score

line and softly and slowly the second cut and so on.You may get deep cut if you did not do it

properly.I have seen people got 10 needle stiches from doctor when they cut themselves :(

2.Laminate bigger by about 10-15mm.Use a file and wood plane to have a good finish.(need skill)

3.Router is the best if you have one and know how to use it.

Hope you understand my words and of help.

Good Luck

Hi,

Laminate usually comes in 4 x 8 ft or even bigger.You did not mention how big the laminate you intend to cut.

If you intend to DIY at home ,best is to ask a factory that uses a saw machine to cut out for you the sizes

you need and then bring it home.

Anyway:

1.Place laminate in FLAT area,do your marking,use a ruler or straight wood(if you have),press and hold,cut

with a stronger and harder blade pen knife.

Need to cut a few times down until laminate is about to break or you may just cut through if the laminate

is those thin ones.

IMPORTANT:Be very very careful when doing this when cutting.Like you said,you need to get a first cut score

line and softly and slowly the second cut and so on.You may get deep cut if you did not do it

properly.I have seen people got 10 needle stiches from doctor when they cut themselves :(

2.Laminate bigger by about 10-15mm.Use a file and wood plane to have a good finish.(need skill)

3.Router is the best if you have one and know how to use it.

Hope you understand my words and of help.

Good Luck

Thanks bro Edmund ! Been a great advice. Cutting shouldnt be a problem but i guess i just need to experiment on the trimming part.

room door laminate with formica, can this be paint over using nippon undercoat quickdry?

Hi,

Actually not advisable to use paint over laminate surface because it will come off

easily if accidentally knock onto it or scratch.

May i know why you want to paint over the laminate?

Hi!

sorry this isn't really about diy but i have a question.

for bedroom wardrobes, what other trimmings are use other than a.b.s?

a contractor we contacted told us he won't be using abs trimming as they are 'outdated' and look ugly.

But i forgot which type he said he'd be using. Is there truth in what he said?

thanks for help in advance!