Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ExcitedFirstTimer

First Home In Singapore

Hi all, we are a PR couple who are in the process of buying our first apartment in Singapore. After having lived all our time in Singapore in Bukit Panjang, we decided to get a place in the same area. With the new MRT coming up in 2015, the prices here have shot up and most of the places we looked for were beyond our budget.

We were looking for a 5 room flat with lots of space, so naturally all the newly built ones were out of the question as they are not too big. After having seen a few places, we finally found a place which we liked. Although it was not our dream house (we will not be able to afford our dream house :)), it had a different layout to what we had seen previously and the fact that the living room was completely cut off from the bedrooms appealed to us.

Here is the layout:

Floorplan.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Welcome to RT.... Looks like you will have the same issue like ours.... Underneath the window has shallow area which don't do hidden cabinet look ugly, do also too shallow....

We expect to get our keys on the 16th of April. We have seen the house just twice, so really have no idea where to start coz sometimes what we see on the floor plan can be deceptive. The present owners are planning to vacate the place by the 9th of April and maybe then we will take a proper look at the place as anyway we need to inspect it before key collection.

Just out of curiosity, is it normal to choose a house this way, that is based on just 2 viewing? Or did we hurry a bit too much. I know its too late to decide now, but maybe we can advise our friends how to go about it when they are looking for a place.

Welcome to RT.... Looks like you will have the same issue like ours.... Underneath the window has shallow area which don't do hidden cabinet look ugly, do also too shallow....

Thanks Beluga. I did notice these areas when we had our 2 quick views of the place. The wife & I have been bouncing ideas off each other about what to do with it, but decided we needed to see the place properly before making a decision. What did you do with the area in your place?

We expect to get our keys on the 16th of April. We have seen the house just twice, so really have no idea where to start coz sometimes what we see on the floor plan can be deceptive. The present owners are planning to vacate the place by the 9th of April and maybe then we will take a proper look at the place as anyway we need to inspect it before key collection.

Just out of curiosity, is it normal to choose a house this way, that is based on just 2 viewing? Or did we hurry a bit too much. I know its too late to decide now, but maybe we can advise our friends how to go about it when they are looking for a place.

it took me just 1 viewing to decide on the place.... i guess its all based on your feelings. when you step into the place and you feel peace and you like it at first view, then it would be the place for you.

Welcome to RT! :) are you from malaysia?

Thanks Beluga. I did notice these areas when we had our 2 quick views of the place. The wife & I have been bouncing ideas off each other about what to do with it, but decided we needed to see the place properly before making a decision. What did you do with the area in your place?

We did conceal cabinet on most of it except in our MBR where it is way too shallow to make a cabinet plus the aircon bracket is there, so we will jsut seal it to make it flush with the wall.... you can see it in our 3D design...

Welcome..

haha always good to see big big home layout.. hope to see more pics coming in when plc is vacant n the reno process!!

agree w MayDream.. is all abt ur "Feel" .. i got my flat which is a 2nd unit i viewed and @ 1st viewing.

it took me just 1 viewing to decide on the place.... i guess its all based on your feelings. when you step into the place and you feel peace and you like it at first view, then it would be the place for you.

Welcome to RT! :) are you from malaysia?

Thanks May. We are from India.

You are right, finally it's how you feel when you enter the place. We saw our place in the evening first and liked it, but decided to see it during daylight hours before deciding.We saw it mid afternoon the second time and loved it :)

We did conceal cabinet on most of it except in our MBR where it is way too shallow to make a cabinet plus the aircon bracket is there, so we will jsut seal it to make it flush with the wall.... you can see it in our 3D design...

We are planning on something similar. Not yet decided on what to do about it in the living/dining area, but the rest would be concealed cabinets depending on the amount of space.

Thanks May. We are from India.

You are right, finally it's how you feel when you enter the place. We saw our place in the evening first and liked it, but decided to see it during daylight hours before deciding.We saw it mid afternoon the second time and loved it :)

i was just telling my indian coll to try to buy HDB instead of keep on renting. definitely more worth it to buy then to rent.

So, you are more logical than me. hahaahh... i only have 1 view at night and totally in love with it. don't even wait till the daylight to view again. Since you both loved it so much, then it would be the correct choice. don't worry about it!

I am planning on installing City Gas heaters. Anyone here has used City gas before?

I am using city gas. most new hdb flats are using city gas too and i know City View (the DBSS at boon keng) are all preinstalled with city gas.

I like it cos i don't need to use electricity for it.... i use too much electricity for other items like hob, air con, fridge etc that i try to use something else instead of over loading with usage of electricity.

I am planning on installing City Gas heaters. Anyone here has used City gas before?

I'm planning to install city gas heater too with rain shower for both bathrooms...

Edited by beluga

i was just telling my indian coll to try to buy HDB instead of keep on renting. definitely more worth it to buy then to rent.

So, you are more logical than me. hahaahh... i only have 1 view at night and totally in love with it. don't even wait till the daylight to view again. Since you both loved it so much, then it would be the correct choice. don't worry about it!

I am using city gas. most new hdb flats are using city gas too and i know City View (the DBSS at boon keng) are all preinstalled with city gas.

I like it cos i don't need to use electricity for it.... i use too much electricity for other items like hob, air con, fridge etc that i try to use something else instead of over loading with usage of electricity.

Thanks Mae, I hope so too.

How much did the City Gas heater set you back including piping and installation?

Have you got a quote for this yet?

Yes, I chose Macro MA10FE at SGD288, including free installation and copper piping...