Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Congrats!

Should be Gen 2/3 EM right?

Do share your Reno progress...

It's a gen 2 em with a square balcony. Today got key and old air conditioning is remove. :-)

Edited by kchinbeng

Here you go... freshly taken with iPhone camera so pardon the shaky snaps...

When all coiled up:

photo-27.jpg

Down, but with some ventilation slits:

photo-28.jpg

Fully enclosed:

photo-29.jpg

My 2 ac compressors are in the balcony tho, so it gets unbearably hot in the balcony and toilets if you lower the shutters AND switch on the ac (yeah, we experimented).

Was too lazy to go out in the hot sun to take the external shots but it looks good from the outside. My unit is very distinctively 'white' with the white roller shutters and roller blinds all down. Yeah, white inside out... :D

Guess we'll use the shutters more during the rainy season.

Are you installing in your balcony?

How old are your kids? As much as I like the open feel, I'll be willing to install grills if I have young kids. You just don't want any accidents to happen... Think ok once they are 10-11 yo.

Is a 6k quotation normal? For 3x shutters, 2m, 2m, 2.8m

Is a 6k quotation normal? For 3x shutters, 2m, 2m, 2.8m

I'm not sure! I think the expensive part is really the motor? So if it's 3 motor I think 6K sounds cheap. Can you share your contractor contact for the benefit of other EM owners?

Hi adidaem, may I know where you did your white-coloured foldable balcony doors with no bottom track? How much does it cost?

It was done by pang Giap. Part of overall cost so I don't know breakdown. Pang Giap is highly NOT recommended tho. They did a horrid job.

I'm not sure! I think the expensive part is really the motor? So if it's 3 motor I think 6K sounds cheap. Can you share your contractor contact for the benefit of other EM owners?

The contractor is same as urs.

I've actually asked him whether the high cost is due to motor. At first he said yes.

But later when I asked him about the manual version without motor, he told me not much difference. At most reduce by $500 only, and he don't recommend the manual version.

Was quite confusing though.

I would like to contribute to highlight on motorize and manual roller shutter aspect on the cost and maintenance.

If motorize by single phase or by 3 phase motor then the price diff is 3 phase motor is 2 to 3 times costly than the single phase motor and in lay man term is more powerful.

However in our HDB housing, the incoming electrical source to all the units is a single phase that only 1 phase motor can be fitted.

Then again there is a high power and low power for the one phase motor which also in term is the cost.

In mechanical aspect importance that to drive the shutter door to open and closing is also the gear box or pulley ratio calculations.

This also is important in term of mechanical design to allow the movement to move without causing much stress to the motor.

Poor mechanical design shall result in undue stress created and vice versa for poor maintenance that results in excessive load on the rails during the movement that shall caused the motor to "burnt".

Manual opening and closing roller shutter door seem to be cheaper but however is quite a feat to turn by hand to fully open or fully closed everyday.

Thus roller shutter cost as made many EM owners to either opt to do a tile roof instead which somehow could also able to sheath against the sunlight or rain.

Finally I'm gonna be an em owner too soon, paid the option fee today for an em.. Can some kind owner here share their Reno quote?

I would like to contribute to highlight on motorize and manual roller shutter aspect on the cost and maintenance.

If motorize by single phase or by 3 phase motor then the price diff is 3 phase motor is 2 to 3 times costly than the single phase motor and in lay man term is more powerful.

However in our HDB housing, the incoming electrical source to all the units is a single phase that only 1 phase motor can be fitted.

Then again there is a high power and low power for the one phase motor which also in term is the cost.

In mechanical aspect importance that to drive the shutter door to open and closing is also the gear box or pulley ratio calculations.

This also is important in term of mechanical design to allow the movement to move without causing much stress to the motor.

Poor mechanical design shall result in undue stress created and vice versa for poor maintenance that results in excessive load on the rails during the movement that shall caused the motor to "burnt".

Manual opening and closing roller shutter door seem to be cheaper but however is quite a feat to turn by hand to fully open or fully closed everyday.

Thus roller shutter cost as made many EM owners to either opt to do a tile roof instead which somehow could also able to sheath against the sunlight or rain.

Exman,

Any lobang for the shutter repair.. Mine currently unable to hoist up.

The contractor is same as urs.

I've actually asked him whether the high cost is due to motor. At first he said yes.

But later when I asked him about the manual version without motor, he told me not much difference. At most reduce by $500 only, and he don't recommend the manual version.

Was quite confusing though.

Oh dear. Sorry I am afraid I really don't know... :(

Think best if you can get another quotation for comparison. Unfortunately I don't have another contact and I didn't check the technical details (hubby handled this).

Hi bento28

What have you found out the problem?

Is it a mechanical or electrical fault?

I am clueless!! Press the magic button, nothing happened except a motor cranking sound!!!! "eeeeeeeeeeee"

The motorized roller shutter should have a hand chain for manual purpose and intent for emergency situation if the motor isn't working.

As per your feedback that when pressing the button, the roller shutter not moving and only a sound caused by the motor was heard.

Did you tried using the chain for manual function to test if the side rails guides are jammed thus causing the motor to unable to turn to overcome the mechanical jammed?

If you are able to turn and the roller shutter door can move smoothly by hand then most probably is the motor is faulty.

Oh dear. Sorry I am afraid I really don't know... :(

Think best if you can get another quotation for comparison. Unfortunately I don't have another contact and I didn't check the technical details (hubby handled this).

Oh it's ok. It's way out of my budget. Thanks anyway!

I could get a new aircon system for my living room with that price.

Perhaps getting a manual outdoor roller blind.