Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
theitsybits

Love Nest @ Casa

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Day 113

Then, it seems like MIL will be coming down and she's saying that backsplash cannot be white unless crystal glass is used which costs more. According to her, backsplash guy will be coming to talk and she will iron things out with him - not change it as I've been told.

I've checked around and it seems possible if they use transparent glass and spray it white.

Anyone has any white backsplash pictures to share or know if it's possible to have white backsplash without using crystal glass?

Hmm.. the 1st thing that comes to my mind when I read this is - Is what your MIL stated, of her own knowledge regarding the backsplash or she is just repeating what she had been told? I sensed 2 different frequency (miscommunication) relating the backsplash thingy. MIL seems to think that only by using expensive glass, would you get the effect you wanted. While what you wanted is something cheaper as long as it compliments your kitchen.

Talk it out nicely hor. :sport-smiley-003:

If you use ordinary glass, bear in mind that one has a slightly greenish tint so even if they spray pure white on the wall, there is a possibility it may not come out pure white.

Hi theitsybits,

can u share with me the dimensions of your kitchen as shown in the few coloured lines? Need a rough idea as I am trying to do some proportion of my kitchen spacing. Appreciate in advance.

casaitsthebits.jpg

Jus dropped by... I'm using crystal white tempered glass backsplash.

Better heat resistance if you do cook a lot. For me, the price difference is less than $100.

Not too sure about white backsplash and how different the material and colour will differ

hey thanks for the info!! we wanted pure white, as white as my cabinets and know that it's possible..they should have informed us if it wasn't possible :(

Hmm.. the 1st thing that comes to my mind when I read this is - Is what your MIL stated, of her own knowledge regarding the backsplash or she is just repeating what she had been told? I sensed 2 different frequency (miscommunication) relating the backsplash thingy. MIL seems to think that only by using expensive glass, would you get the effect you wanted. While what you wanted is something cheaper as long as it compliments your kitchen.

Talk it out nicely hor. :sport-smiley-003:

i suppose you haven't read about my carpentry nightmare for the past 2-3 months..basically, everything was wrong, delayed with poor workmanship..my MIL insisted that we use the relative and matched my other quote which includes this pure white backsplash..i don't care how much it cost or what glass they use, i simply want a pure white backsplash - that was what communicated and should be delivered..if not possible, we should have been informed instead of having greenish backsplash installed after almost 2 months' delay..we have already accepted black solid top instead of granite as stated in our contract among other mistakes..

I have seen crystal white backsplash

Price depend on thickness of the backsplash :yamseng:

yes, have asked around and seen people using it!

Hi theitsybits,

can u share with me the dimensions of your kitchen as shown in the few coloured lines? Need a rough idea as I am trying to do some proportion of my kitchen spacing. Appreciate in advance.

casaitsthebits.jpg

hey i'll need to go and measure them this weekend..get back to you again..i think the dish rack is standard..

Edited by theitsybits

Day 114

Called the backsplash guy just to confirm my understanding of what's going to happen on Saturday..it was the guy doing measurement who answered instead of installer..installer simply said wrong color, coming to dismantle while this measurement guy said that they delivered according to that the relative ordered and it is greenish glass sprayed white..he will bring samples over and said that the pure white one which we requested for is more expensive..honestly, I do not care since that was what we requested for and should be delivered since nothing was raised to us before..

the shocking thing is, the backsplash guy said that he will not be doing anything till the relative's company pays him..he's a new supplier, and it's only his 3rd month working with them..he only got paid the first month and partially the second month..afterwhich the relative went MIA..he had no choice but to visit his showroom and realize that many other customers and suppliers are also waiting for the relative who refused to picked up calls.. :jawdrop: the whole world is looking for the relative and no supplier is willing to take up his jobs now..he will only come to let them know that he has delivered accordingly..and i told him it's pointless showing me samples, since I will simply choose the white one like what I requested originally..it's pointless to come if he's not going to change it..

He also said that many other customers' homes were worse than mine, he kept getting scolded..some asked him why is he here, they have called the police..some showed him the bad workmanship saying that bangalas did everything and they weren't satisfied with any single piece of carpentry..some of them started way before me, which is already more than 3 months..basically, all jobs under them are screwed and he has went into hiding and simply not contactable..the binson guy is biting all the bullets while his boss refuses to answer calls..perhaps that's why he was so rude and hung up on me, and the MIL/relative is so protective of him..

can't be sure if everything he said was true, but there are indeed many complaints online and everyone is suffering from the same extended delays, poor workmanship, wrong specifications..

still can't believe that MIL is still on his side and blaming us without admitting to any fault when things have come to this stage..it's obviously his problem when everyone is suffering the same problems while he point fingers at everyone else but himself.. :furious: amazing thing is, it seems like he has changed a company name and moving his showroom..suing him is probably useless since there's only an empty shell left..but Singapore is so small, where can you hide?

Karma will find its way. :bow:

Edited by theitsybits

If you use ordinary glass, bear in mind that one has a slightly greenish tint so even if they spray pure white on the wall, there is a possibility it may not come out pure white.

yes i know, but we requested for pure white backsplash..as white as my carpentry backsplash..

Hi Itsybits

Sorry for being abrupt, may I ask a favour from you? Do you think I could take a look at your flooring? I was thinking even though your tiles are longer and thinner than mine, warping is not unacceptable. So all the more my bigger wood patterned tiles shouldn't be warping so badly. But I just want to be sure that its not really me being picky. He told me he did so many houses all like this no one ever complained and even wanted to show me his other houses. But I'm not really interested if his worksmanship is consistently bad. Whether his other customers are happy with his work don't really matter to me.

I think my tiling is really terrible, I can feel the sharp edges while walking.

But if you are uncomfortable with showing your house, then its ok. Maybe I can just ask if Mr K could take a look at my floor since if I want re-work, I don't really want my current sub-con to do the work. I think given their skills, it will only get worse.

btw, is your message box full? I tried to pm you but couldn't send.

thanks!

originalbread

hey thanks for the info!! we wanted pure white, as white as my cabinets and know that it's possible..they should have informed us if it wasn't possible :(

i suppose you haven't read about my carpentry nightmare for the past 2-3 months..basically, everything was wrong, delayed with poor workmanship..my MIL insisted that we use the relative and matched my other quote which includes this pure white backsplash..i don't care how much it cost or what glass they use, i simply want a pure white backsplash - that was what communicated and should be delivered..if not possible, we should have been informed instead of having greenish backsplash installed after almost 2 months' delay..we have already accepted black solid top instead of granite as stated in our contract among other mistakes..

yes, have asked around and seen people using it!

hey i'll need to go and measure them this weekend..get back to you again..i think the dish rack is standard..

Thanks thanks in advance.

Day 107 - Wednesday

The house is already live-in condition although we still lack many things like knives, chopping boards etc..my chairs and curtains from taobao has arrived, and husband thinks the curtains 'look ugly'. But well, it cost like $300 instead of the $2000 that many are paying, so I suppose we can live with it for awhile. The curtains are actually quite good quality cloth, very heavy with pretty good sewing.

8003216608_d69e578689_z.jpg

The MRB. We still need a bed frame and side tables.

8003222962_327e00424d_z.jpg

Guest room.

8003218905_23eeb768f3_z.jpg

Study room.

8003218212_712663db3d_z.jpg

Living room. Haven't got a console nor coffee table although TV will be arriving this Saturday.

8003217481_0c4fecc446_z.jpg

The fibre-glass dining chairs from Taobao. The quality was okay although the holes below the chair wasn't that neat.

Still lots to buy and do. What a long journey. :unsure:

Hi Itsybits

May I know where you get your curtain rails? I got very blur looking at those at spotlights and ikea. I like your very clean cut area round the windows. Mine have brackets encasing of electrical wires, trunking of aircons (contractor install wrong place), then the walls also have areas flushing in or popping out. Poses quite an issue to installation of curtain rails since I am not getting people to do curtains too.

cheers

Originalbread.

I got it from ikea..the brackets are 2.90 each and rods depending on length..from 3.90-10.90 each..there's black, white, silver..we drilled them ourselves and curtains fr Taobao..

I got it from ikea..the brackets are 2.90 each and rods depending on length..from 3.90-10.90 each..there's black, white, silver..we drilled them ourselves and curtains fr Taobao..

oh that's a great deal. spotlight a lot more ex, though they have slimmer designs for more restricted space.

Hi, we're very new to this forum and am intrigued by your scandi themed home ! Could you please share your contractor's (Mr K) contact with us please. Greatly appreciated.

Hi, we're very new to this forum and am intrigued by your scandi themed home ! Could you please share your contractor's (Mr K) contact with us please. Greatly appreciated.

thanks! pm-ed.