Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
theitsybits

Love Nest @ Casa

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

No payment has been made yet. But it's just very tough, with screaming relatives pointing fingers like we are the one at fault..like there's nothing wrong with the delay and it's normal but we are making a big fuss..

The attacks are always on the DIL, I will leave the husband to decide while I wash my hands off this..

I guess we knew it would turn out this way, but MIL was too insistent that we caved in. Afterall, we were supposed to use them for all renovation works. Initial quote took 2 weeks, revised quote didn't come even after 5 more weeks. Prices weren't cheap though it was 'at cost'. Dismantaling the plastic partition in toilet cost 250! That was why we went looking for other contractors. =(

$250!!!! :o hahhaaaa... Go engage our fellow neighbor, JY, lah.... Only 50 bucks + meals for the whole day! Hahhaaaa....

If it were me, i will discuss with hubby and give a cut off date and tell my mil about it...

Write down the points so that when things get emotional, you'll remember what you wanna say... Tell her your concerns and I'm sure for the good of her son and you, she'll come to understand de... *smile, gal! :) *

Right move to let hubby handle his mum and relatives. Do you have a plan B in case things got so out of hand that it jeopardize all your other plans as well?

Sometimes, if you tell yourself that if by when and when it is still not ready, then I'll fall back on what and what .. it will release your stress and frustration a bit.

Go take a day off and pamper yourself :sport-smiley-003:

Thank you all..! It's amazing that even strangers can be nicer than relatives. =(

We have emailed all the points and communicated them repeatedly. But what I have came to realize is that you can't reason with unreasonable people.

Everything is very clear-cut, from which dates we informed them to come, which dates they finally took measurements etc. Deadline was committed by themselves, and we've confirmed it many times. They even tried to dispute such basic details, but had nothing to say when I insisted it's all in emails and sms, cannot run away. MIL insist on letting us have internal laminate, and apparently they are the only company that provides that at market prices. I do not dispute that, and it's supposedly better as pvc/polygon is poisonous etc. But with such attitude and delays, reviews of bad workmanship, it's just very frustrating that they do not look at facts. By the looks of it, 20 more days would not be sufficient. And to them, it's really take it or leave it after all the anguish and delays and frustrations they've put us through. They even said that all other contractors/IDs are the same, no guarantee, if delay, just have to wait.

There's just something very wrong, and I can go on and on about it. Doesn't help anything. Husband will settle, and he is in the worst position, whether to terminate this or continue chasing them. And even if we give them 20 more days, what can we do if they tell us, they need another 20 more days because carpenter was sick?They can say whatever they want. Afterall, not a matter of life and death and we should not be calculative with relatives.. =/

i don't think its true that they are the only company that does internal laminate at market price. i am sure in whole of sg, there will be other carpentry companies that does that as well. and how to know its at market price? 8|

that is the thing about relatives. when they want or need our business / money, then they will come look for us. when everything is going on well for them, they don't even bother to say hi. :furious: that is why even though i have some relatives here in sg, i never even bother with them even when i don't have a place to stay. i don't want to be that "relative" that always need help. thank goodness i have very good siblings.... :good:

your poor hubby also stuck now. offend the relative, will offend your MIL. but if they want to delay, since its relative, no urgent to do but settle other customers first, you also no choice. :bangwall::bangwall:

To be fair, I don't think it's about wanting to earn our money in this instance. They weren't keen to do for us too, but MIL insisted. After a long dispute, they actually matched our contractor polygon/pvc prices with internal laminates. It does seem like nobody can do it at that price point, since other carpenters use 'branded' laminates like Fomica, EDL while they import their own laminates and have their own factory here. That also explains why the choice of laminates was relatively narrow (no cement-screed like laminates that I wanted) and when we finally chose a few, 2 of them were out of stock and they have to keep coming back to us to choose again. I suppose that if their customers are complaining about delays of many weeks on forum, they simply can't cope for whatever reason.

To be fair, I don't think it's about wanting to earn our money in this instance. They weren't keen to do for us too, but MIL insisted. After a long dispute, they actually matched our contractor polygon/pvc prices with internal laminates. It does seem like nobody can do it at that price point, since other carpenters use 'branded' laminates like Fomica, EDL while they import their own laminates and have their own factory here. That also explains why the choice of laminates was relatively narrow (no cement-screed like laminates that I wanted) and when we finally chose a few, 2 of them were out of stock and they have to keep coming back to us to choose again. I suppose that if their customers are complaining about delays of many weeks on forum, they simply can't cope for whatever reason.

they were not keen too and you were also not keen but MIL's insist? then i guess they sort of doing a favour for your MIL. then its worse since they were not keen in the first place..... on top of it, not earning much as well. even more no motivation to do. this kind of situation, really headache! :wacko:

Yar, very very headache.. =~(

she might have good intentions, but as a fact, it has made things difficult for everyone involved..I tried explaining that, but obviously it didn't turn out well..and timeline has been communicated since May! :deal:

i guess now only can sit at home and pray that my carpentry will arrive.. :bow:

if they do deliver in 3 weeks, my carpentry will take a total of 8 weeks..it will be almost 20% of a year..and if delay somemore...........maybe a full quarter or more.. :jawdrop:

people renovation 6-8 weeks, my carpentry alone will take at least 8 weeks..and they tell me, carpentry usually takes the longest, other works like tiling, wet works can be very fast.. =/

theitsybit...i know it's easy for outsiders to say...but haven't start the carpentary work already so much problem...imagine what happens when the work start? Poor workmanship? So the end of the day it's not your MIL's problem...it will be your problem as you will be living there...So drop them..there's no reason for you to continue with them already...

Yar, very very headache.. =~(

she might have good intentions, but as a fact, it has made things difficult for everyone involved..I tried explaining that, but obviously it didn't turn out well..and timeline has been communicated since May! :deal:

i guess now only can sit at home and pray that my carpentry will arrive.. :bow:

if they do deliver in 3 weeks, my carpentry will take a total of 8 weeks..it will be almost 20% of a year..and if delay somemore...........maybe a full quarter or more.. :jawdrop:

people renovation 6-8 weeks, my carpentry alone will take at least 8 weeks..and they tell me, carpentry usually takes the longest, other works like tiling, wet works can be very fast.. =/

ya i know.... really frustrating to wait and wait... i guess you just got to be patient. keep on pressing on! then you will forget about this once you move in and enjoying yourself at the new home.

theitsybit...i know it's easy for outsiders to say...but haven't start the carpentary work already so much problem...imagine what happens when the work start? Poor workmanship? So the end of the day it's not your MIL's problem...it will be your problem as you will be living there...So drop them..there's no reason for you to continue with them already...

Can ask your MIL to speak to them directly?

yea it's a very difficult situation..husband is liaising with carpenter directly now (minus relative and coordinator) and things seem to be moving, plus we get someone who actually updates us now.. :sport-smiley-004: i guess we have anticipated problems when we agreed to use them, but it's too late to back out now..at least carpenter is really working on our carpentry and answering our questions now! :thumbs up: totally feeling very thankful, and telling the husband, please ask him to do a good job, I don't mind tipping him!

Can ask your MIL to speak to them directly?

MIL is the one who insist that we use them wor..they weren't keen to take up the job 'for fear of not meeting our expectations'..sigh..perhaps they are really swarmed too..I guess we can only make do with things now and husband will continue chasing and following-up on progress..

at the end of the day, yes, it is taking very long..but all we wanted was some progress updates and an estimated completion date so that we can plan the deliveries with all the different shops..if they had been more forthcoming about the delays and updated us, things might not have come to this..it was difficult to trust them as they initially told us measurement early in the week, but despite chasing and chasing, carpenter only came for measurement last minute on Saturday..and we kept confirming completion date, they said in 2-3 weeks, end-July..but as end-July drew near, they couldn't deliver and didn't confirm progress nor estimated completion date..we can't be sitting, waiting and praying for carpentry to come right?

so yea, can't do anything much now after confronting them, but continue to chase and wait.. ;)

ya i know.... really frustrating to wait and wait... i guess you just got to be patient. keep on pressing on! then you will forget about this once you move in and enjoying yourself at the new home.

yes, really looking forward to finish up our home, so that we can fill it with things we love, take pre-wedding shots in it and finally move into it..long long journey..

but husband says, if it's not difficult, why do it? ;) perhaps after all these, we will cherish our home and finally settling down together more.. :P

Thanks to the husband's chasing, carpenter is coming down to install kitchen and toilet vanities tomorrow! :sport-smiley-004:

I'm really looking forward to get our kitchen and I'm hoping that everything is alright.

And because this was quite last minute, my sinks and basins are not delivered yet and we've to go down to collect them ourselves tomorrow. That was what I meant by not being able to plan our deliveries without knowing the timeline! Lots of inconvenience. 8|

But well, very thankful to finally get some carpentry into the house..I've lots of pots and pans and cutlery and glassware plus quilts, bedsheets which are overcrowding my room now..after some cleaning (assuming no issue with kitchen), I suppose we can start migrating things over. :P