Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edenstrauss

Diy Projects For Home

continued :

For a start, we have decided to install shower curtains but it didn't turn out as expected & the bathroom looked so cluttered & cramped after we installed a curtain rod comprising 2 rods which were joint at a perpendicular angle. The horrible thing was that the section where the 2 rods were joined to form the 90 degree angle was too "heavy" without another bracket to support it. As such, both rods were slanted downwards towards the area where they were held together with a joint.

In short, awful & messy was how I would describe the outcome of the idea when it was being translated into reality. :(

My hubby couldn't wait to tear it down shortly after its installation.

We bought this assemble from IKEA but we sincerely hope that all readers wouldn't misconstrue that we are concluding that this item isn't good as we were using 2 sets of shower curtains which were relatively heavy & bulky for a small bathroom.

Finally, my hubby got chissed off with it & dismantled it over the weekends. It's being dumped at a corner of our living room.

(photo of the rods being taken down - pending)

Edited by edenstrauss

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Continued:

Then we have decided to settle on laminating the glass door on the non-sandblasted side which was facing away from the interior of the bathroom.

I was reluctant initially as I had the mentality that the opaque lamination is going to look old fashioned & downgrade the sand blasted glass door into something ugly & dated. We have seen many laminated products from heartland shops & didn't like what we saw.

Then, we have decided to move on to Home-fix stores & are pleasantly surprised by the variety of opaque laminates from their supplier.

(pending completion -embargoed)

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi all,

I have started a new blog website & most of my topics which are started on renotalk forum would be "migrated" over there in due course.

For those who are interested in reading on, kindly visit my newly created blogging website, The Treasure Cove of Barbette at:

http://barbettey.blogspot.com/

Thank You!

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi folks,

I've successfully migrated my DIY thread to my newly created blog.

And to make it more systematic for readers & fellow bloggers who visit, I've separated the DIY threads into 2 parts.

Please click on the blogging title in blue to be directed to the respective DIY topics under my blog

Blogging title : Home Sweet Home : The Peripherals of DIY (Part 1)

7209944974_149cf5522b.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

However, editing photos & doing write-ups had been extremely time consuming given by busy work schedule, my progress on the DIY thread in my blog had been a crawling pace.

The next upcoming segment of DIY are going to :

a) Laminating the exterior of sand-blasted doors, which I couldn't find time to get the review & write-up done properly. I'm supposed to visit the supplier for the laminating sheets but still couldn't find time to drop by.

b) Assembling kitchen cabinets - I'm still trying to collect my thoughts as to whether I should put it under part 1 or 2 of my DIY blogging entry. :P

Meanwhile, it's time for beauty sleep as I'm all drained out for the day! :seeya:

Edited by edenstrauss

Adhesive stain remover : De-Solv-it (from Home-Fix stores)

To kick start this thread, let's start off with an interesting "appetizer", known as, De-Solv-it.

De-Solv-it had been a great partner for all of us out there who had encountered stubborn adhesive stains on walls after peeling off stickers, old adhesive hooks, etc.

This item is sold in Home-Fix stores and I purchased my first bottle of it from the Compasspoint branch.

7002464858_0c75196d5f.jpg

The first location I've tried this chemical was on the white ceramic tiles which were directly above my kitchen sink.

After removing an old dirty soap dish from the wall, there were 2 round-shaped adhesive stains that could not be peeled off as they were stuck fast on the tiles as you could see from the photograph below:

7002464852_566a72a1e9_z.jpg

The chemical is an oil-based fluid which had a very strong pungent smell. As such, I've placed newspapers & kitchen towels just directly below the section where the chemical was going to be applied on.

After spraying on the chemical, I've set aside some time for it to work on these adhesive stains before cleaning it away with a piece of wet tissue paper. Those old adhesive stains were being soften by the chemical & disintegrated gradually when I tried to scrap it off with a ball of wet tissue paper as shown in the photograph below:

7002464870_6494af3703_z.jpg

The outcome is that of spotless, clean & white ceramic tiles that were free of adhesive stains:

[photograph pending]

Corrugated Paper (from Favour International)

The first time I encountered corrugated paper was during a mini renovation for my flat which was featured in the following thread:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40463&view=findpost&p=634851

Thereafter, I cannot fail to swear by the importance & the use of corrugated paper in many DIY assignments, ranging from protecting my cute mini sliding doors (made by Han Fong Aluminium) at the recess area below the windows during our DIY sessions on painting of walls, right up to using it to wrap up fragile items such as glass products & even metal wares prior to shipping.

I've known teenage customers from Favour International who bought the corrugated paper for the purpose of wrapping up their metal or stone sculptures or parts of the bicycle on the spot & shipping them out of Singapore after placing them into boxes.

These corrugated papers are sold in huge rolls & I've bought them from Favour International on & off when the need arises. e.g. covering my cute-looking sliding doors below the windows to prevent paint from spluttering onto them when we painted our flat.

7002682712_f9395335fe_z.jpg

7002682790_fdd13c906e_z.jpg

For those of you who are interested in purchasing corrugated paper, please visit Favour International at the following website:

http://www.packeverything.com.sg/

Alternatively, you might want to drop by at their flagship store at:

302, Ubi Ave One

#01-29/33

Singapore 400302

This flagship store is also selling many cute stuff (pretty packaging, stickers, etc) which could go into dressing up your gifts or catering for parties & wedding favours too!

How very pungent is the smell?

What are the active compounds?

Is it highly inflammable?

Thank you.

U have got tO visit any home-fix stores & check it out off the labels. I m not pharmaceutically trained so I have no idea. Sorry about that.

continued:

There was another stubborn adhesive stain which had hardened over the years after we took off an old hook which had been left on the wall by the previous owner.

The adhesive seemed to have hardened into something that was akin to brown-looking putty cement as shown in the photograph below:

7002464882_05d6a340bc_z.jpg

Prior to acquiring De-Solv-it from Home-fix stores, such horrible looking adhesive stains were a lost cause which had marred the clean-looking appearance of white ceramic tiles on the kitchen wall.

After the chemical works wonders for the first scenario, we've decided that it won't do any harm to try it out on this stubborn adhesive stain. :sport-smiley-004:

As the chemical causes wrinkles to my fingers during the first scenario & that it was tough to remove the pungent stench once it came into contact with my skin, I've decided to wear a pair of plastic gloves while spraying it on the stubborn adhesive stain.

7002464894_b1baa0c6c1.jpg

The same procedure was then repeated & the white tile had been restored to its original state: spotless & clean-looking as shown in the photograph below.

7002465084_59d1578206_z.jpg

This must be a good chemical judging from your experience,

but I found a cheaper solution of just using paint thinner which

gives exactly the same result at a fraction of the price.

Edited by fierydragon