Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
princessandhergeek

Memoirs Of A Princess And Her Geek

omg.. 6 months is a really really long time..... thanks for the advice! okok will go take note of it.. got to go plan a date >.< do you think september will be a good time to have everything completed? o.o a bit scared of moving in o.o the thought of moving my junk stuff from parents' place to our new home is daunting :o but excited to have our new house soon~~~~~ hahahahaha

We took forever to move in.. Hahaha! Basically, we only move in with 2 lugguages, every week bring something over. In fact I never really moved out, still got alot of rubbish in my parent's house :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

taichipanda recommend ceasarstone fresh white series. He kindly allowed me to view his kitchen. However, i decided to go with the whitest of that series which cost a little more. (explains my seriously over budget white kitchen).

ooo white kitchen! i like the look of a white kitchen! I was looking through your t-blog (hehe) and found you did the wooden flooring for your kitchen.. love it! i wanted a darker wood feel flooring for the kitchen, but my contractor told me it wouldn't look nice =( i was actually quite depressed.. we settled for something else in the end.. looks nice too but if I had my bossy way, i'd definitely go for the wood feel hahahaha..anyway it seems like you have an amazing kitchen to look forward to! What else are you spending on?

I'm also considering having a white kitchen, but i do not dare to get a white kitchen.. knowing how clumsy i am, i'll probably soil the kitchen very easily and the cabinet laminates will probably suffer at my hands.. and i'm wondering.. i have heard my colleagues complaining to me that their white laminates will turn yellow after some time.. is it really true..? =X

We took forever to move in.. Hahaha! Basically, we only move in with 2 lugguages, every week bring something over. In fact I never really moved out, still got alot of rubbish in my parent's house :P

oh no.. i seriously can see my hubby n me doing the exact same thing as well.. but my mum will sure 8| me... hahahaha.. she's eyeing my room for other purposes already..

ooo white kitchen! i like the look of a white kitchen! I was looking through your t-blog (hehe) and found you did the wooden flooring for your kitchen.. love it! i wanted a darker wood feel flooring for the kitchen, but my contractor told me it wouldn't look nice =( i was actually quite depressed.. we settled for something else in the end.. looks nice too but if I had my bossy way, i'd definitely go for the wood feel hahahaha..anyway it seems like you have an amazing kitchen to look forward to! What else are you spending on?

I'm also considering having a white kitchen, but i do not dare to get a white kitchen.. knowing how clumsy i am, i'll probably soil the kitchen very easily and the cabinet laminates will probably suffer at my hands.. and i'm wondering.. i have heard my colleagues complaining to me that their white laminates will turn yellow after some time.. is it really true..? =X

umm.. my hubs told me actually ur hubs and my hubs are fellow geeks at work!

my "wooden" flooring is actually tiles. so that's an option for you. they do come in darker colours too.. but i wanted light light light!

cabinet laminates so far seem to last under my hands.. so i've got no issues abt it. i have no intentions of covering all the cupboards with white laminates actually.. so stay tune for more updates! LOL!

umm.. my hubs told me actually ur hubs and my hubs are fellow geeks at work!

my "wooden" flooring is actually tiles. so that's an option for you. they do come in darker colours too.. but i wanted light light light!

cabinet laminates so far seem to last under my hands.. so i've got no issues abt it. i have no intentions of covering all the cupboards with white laminates actually.. so stay tune for more updates! LOL!

:blink: omg.. i went to ask my hubby whether he knows a colleague in the midst reno for em and having 3rd kid soon and he says yes!! lol.. ur hubby so smart to figure out o.o faint* so now we are wives of fellow geeks hahaha

as for the flooring.. ya.. there's that option of wooden tiles.. we were eyeballing one at the shop, but in the end we chose another type due to contractor's comments.. and as I was typing, i suddenly remembered - someone on the forums once mentioned that the origin of the tiles is important o.o China-made is not that good.. but does it really matter..?

btw, when would your cabinets be installed?

Edited by princessandhergeek

:blink: omg.. i went to ask my hubby whether he knows a colleague in the midst reno for em and having 3rd kid soon and he says yes!! lol.. ur hubby so smart to figure out o.o faint* so now we are wives of fellow geeks hahaha

as for the flooring.. ya.. there's that option of wooden tiles.. we were eyeballing one at the shop, but in the end we chose another type due to contractor's comments.. and as I was typing, i suddenly remembered - someone on the forums once mentioned that the origin of the tiles is important o.o China-made is not that good.. but does it really matter..?

btw, when would your cabinets be installed?

LOL! :dancingqueen: but i don't really understand geek talk. i do nerd talk! ROFL~

yes.. the origin of the tiles is important... china made tiles haven't caught up with the "angmoh" tiles in term of producing good wooden tiles. ours look very real with random grains and has the micro texture to it too.. the way it is laid will minimize warping.. the method of laying is by the manufacturer.. so the tiler has to follow.

i am meeting my contractor tmr to confirm the cabinet drawings... 8| 8| 8| he is having headaches with the person who is suppose to draw for him. we've been pushing for the drawings for 2 wks liao! grrrrr...

LOL! :dancingqueen: but i don't really understand geek talk. i do nerd talk! ROFL~

yes.. the origin of the tiles is important... china made tiles haven't caught up with the "angmoh" tiles in term of producing good wooden tiles. ours look very real with random grains and has the micro texture to it too.. the way it is laid will minimize warping.. the method of laying is by the manufacturer.. so the tiler has to follow.

i am meeting my contractor tmr to confirm the cabinet drawings... 8| 8| 8| he is having headaches with the person who is suppose to draw for him. we've been pushing for the drawings for 2 wks liao! grrrrr...

nice! a bit worried now cox we din consider the origin of the tile when we chose the tile.. we just chose them based on what we like o.o i suppose it is less headache (since there is one less thing to consider) but this also means potential disaster.. crossing fingers that it'd all be fine =D (warping should be minimised as my contractor is using Malaysian workers (they are better skilled than Bangladeshi workers!)

and - same here! don't know why contractors all have problems with 3D 0.o so will your 3D be ready soon? want to see!! =) in the end I guess 3D might not really help as well.. i suspect that the final design will differ from the 3D since we might choose different laminates and colours over the proposed ones by the designer o.o

more updates:

tiles that we chose!

living-tiles.jpg

mbrToilet-tiles.jpg

kitchen-tiles.jpg

We chose 800mm tiles for the living room - Roy has reassured us that it would not be warped as he is using good workers.. we didn't realise at that time what he meant was that he is using Malaysian workers =P I've heard that generally Malaysian workers have better skills than most workers and my husband even feedback that they were taking the initiative to suggest better ways to do stuff =D so that is one plus point for my contractor and his team! hoping that that plus point will get the tiles all laid properly and nicely..

tip here: remember to ask your contractor to give you colored grout for the tiles! =D some do not provide if you do not ask =D

nice! a bit worried now cox we din consider the origin of the tile when we chose the tile.. we just chose them based on what we like o.o i suppose it is less headache (since there is one less thing to consider) but this also means potential disaster.. crossing fingers that it'd all be fine =D (warping should be minimised as my contractor is using Malaysian workers (they are better skilled than Bangladeshi workers!)

and - same here! don't know why contractors all have problems with 3D 0.o so will your 3D be ready soon? want to see!! =) in the end I guess 3D might not really help as well.. i suspect that the final design will differ from the 3D since we might choose different laminates and colours over the proposed ones by the designer o.o

Don't worry about origin of tile if they arent wood grain or long planks. China made is good enough. Aside from kitchen, all my tiles are china made.

I don't have 3d drawings as I am using a contractor. No use for me. I want technical drawings. Hahaha so old fashion right??

Actually now alot of tilers can be PRC. Good thing ours was Malaysian and very experienced!

Don't worry about origin of tile if they arent wood grain or long planks. China made is good enough. Aside from kitchen, all my tiles are china made.

I don't have 3d drawings as I am using a contractor. No use for me. I want technical drawings. Hahaha so old fashion right??

Actually now alot of tilers can be PRC. Good thing ours was Malaysian and very experienced!

ooo technical drawings are good too! it doesn't really mean anything if you have 3D.. in the end the 3D can only help us so much, the rest still depends a lot on what we choose o.o

ooo i din noe about the PRC tilers o.o but i have seen a lot of the bangladeshi workers doing tiling work.. and high five on the experienced malaysians!

anyway, i heard from my hubby that ur hubs passed him the sample of the wood floor u guys r having~ he said it looks really good! unfortunately we wouldn't get to change anything even if we wanted to.. sobsss

hoping ours will be ok though >.<

New pictures!

Tiled living room

living-floorTiles-02.jpg

Tiled living room(ceiling above the island counter can be seen as well =D

living-floorTiles-01.jpg

Ceiling of island counter and living area

living-ceiling-01.jpg

Ceiling/Layout of MBR

master-afterHacking.jpg

Kitchen getting ready for kerbs to be built in!

kitchen-floorTiles-01.jpg

so... the tiled flooring is now up =) bedroom cement screed is not done yet, so we have not chosen the room laminates.. one question to all readers - any idea how to tell if the floor tiles are laid properly without warping? i've heard that the bigger the tiles, the higher the possibility of warping.. so am worried about our 800mm tiles >.< :help: help~!! and any idea if we should really start to knock on the tiles with coins to check for hollow tiles? comments and advice are greatly appreciated! :help:

TIA~~!! :sport-smiley-018:

Edited by princessandhergeek

Tiles should be fine. They take a long time to show. My parents place kitchen tiles made loud cracking noises and popped up after 15 years.

Gotta be careful with laminates. If water seeps thru the gaps it's gone. My mil place ac leaked while we were sleeping. Woke up to damaged floors

Tiles should be fine. They take a long time to show. My parents place kitchen tiles made loud cracking noises and popped up after 15 years.

Gotta be careful with laminates. If water seeps thru the gaps it's gone. My mil place ac leaked while we were sleeping. Woke up to damaged floors

oh wow okok it's quite scary that tiles can pop.. but i guess it's expected due to expansion and contraction of tiles over long periods of time.... hmm and as for laminates.. i've heard that laminates dont do well with water - so a spill should be cleared quickly... but for the floor to spoil because the a/c leaked overnight... :jawdrop: how to prevent that kind of accident o.o :jawdrop: curiously, does the aircon leak while it is switched on, or does it leak even when it is switched off?

Hihi,

I am also from Daimai Grove. Welcome in..

hi sccy!

thanks~ from Damai Grove haha.. the one in between Treelodge and Punggol Breeze =D what about you?

oh wow okok it's quite scary that tiles can pop.. but i guess it's expected due to expansion and contraction of tiles over long periods of time.... hmm and as for laminates.. i've heard that laminates dont do well with water - so a spill should be cleared quickly... but for the floor to spoil because the a/c leaked overnight... :jawdrop: how to prevent that kind of accident o.o :jawdrop: curiously, does the aircon leak while it is switched on, or does it leak even when it is switched off?

warping only occurs for wood material like laminate.... should not happen for tiles. For tiles, it would be popping if the cement are not done properly.

They say tiles would warp if the tiles are not manufactured correctly, that means, at factory, they are not straight. So it seem like a bit of U-shaped..... and if tiler skill is not good, then the putting on cement are uneven, then you will have uneven tiles, not warp tiles. the bigger piece, the easier for it to be uneven (one side more cement, another side less cement).

checking of hollow tiles, you can buy the tool from hardware shop or use coins or for floor tiles, be like me. Wear high heels and walk around, you will hear the difference if there is hollow tiles.

checking of unevenness, then you just have to check the corners.... the 1 piece connecting to 3 other pieces are even when you feel with your hands.