Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
princessandhergeek

Memoirs Of A Princess And Her Geek

meet one of my favorites (i have many), the shop owner calls it art, i like to call it 'birdnest' - endearingly so of cox.. my geek just gawked when i call it bird nest - i think he was thinking of how to clean it o.o

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

and after meeting 'bird nest', please meet 'bird nest in a cage'

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

don't get me wrong - we both like the bird nest and bird nest in a cage - but the thought of having to maintain it plus the possibility of insects getting caught within and burning or crawling around inside with us having no way to extract the insect from the maze just scares us.. so as arty farty it might be, we have to say no to the lights =(

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

and i call this - the naked chandelier (i think my geek is going to go crazy with all the names i give to the lights lol - but i reasoned - if the artichoke and discoco both have names, why shouldn't the rest??

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

the bell lights look cute too!

IMG_1040.jpg

another discoco light - not sure if it is imitation o.o

IMG_1272.jpg

I like this piece too - and it is called - '4 bulbs in a box' hahaha

IMG_1059.jpg

we first saw this light at a nim residence (along potong pasir) showroom - loved this light so much but didn't include to have it in our plans so am unable to buy it now even though we like it =( somehow it looks better as a wall light rather than the ceiling light featured here - please see and compare!

anyway - name for this light - 'silver fern'

silver fern light on ceiling

IMG_1267.jpg

silver fern light at display at nim residence showroom

IMG_0533.jpg

disclaimer - please note that all names given to lights in our forum posts are not the actual names of the light - these names were given to the lights by us to help us be able to remember which light we are talking about...

anyway, our favorite light by far is actually the artichoke light - ya - i keep talking about it - haha.. first saw it in lieblingsg's photo (his Tiong bahru SIT flat).. we like the angular frames on the light =D

look at the original! (we took this photo at a shop along balestier road =D

IMG_1054.jpg

this picture wowed me a lot as it looked exactly like the pictures they have online (i thought they photoshopped it).. unfortunately, two reasons why we wouldn't be getting this original light: a) it's TOO EXPENSIVE for our budget b) this light is 800mm - too big for our house o.o

they have the 600mm version too.. but the price is still a deterrent.. so we set out.. to find the imitation one - though will not be as nice but at least within our budget o.o

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

they have it in 400mm and 300mm (size is better for our HDB flat - now the unofficial names we gave to all these are 'grandpa choke' (800mm original artichoke), 'papa choke' (600mm original artichoke), 'baby choke' (400mm imitation choke) and 'mini choke' (300mm imitation choke).. there are two shops where we found the imitation artichokes - one along jalan besar and one along balestier - both prices are different though I'm not sure if the materials are different o.o

we have decided to get baby choke for our dining light - but am a bit concerned about it rusting as we are in punggol o.o but i guess we'll be taking the risk and seeing how it turns out to be o.o

our design for the house includes having a fan in the living room ceiling.. (unfortunately at that time we didn't decide to have a ceiling fan at the MBR, and rectifications to include the ceiling fan at MBR will cost 1000SGD n above and we decided to skip it and purchase a standing fan instead..

while searching for ceiling fans, we ran into a huge headache.. we were picky!! or maybe i should say i was picky =( my darling geek was ok with anything as long as it spins and is reasonably durable with a reasonable wind speed and air distribution ability.. but picky me considered the aesthetics (wanted something sophisticated).. initially we were considering kdk fans due to durability.. but the silver fans and red logo made us blur.. and so the search led us to the following fans:

Minka Aires Artemis Fan

MinkaAiresArtemisFans.png

Minka Aires Wing Fan

MinkaAiresWingFans.png

Sycamore fan

SycamoreFan.jpg

Haiku Fan

haiku-fan.jpg

0b8cd49813750049e719180fd9dcdc4aad9ca8e4_r940_500_2-220x204.jpg

Our first choice based on price was the Artemis fan, followed by wing, haiku then sycamore.. functionality wise we have heard and read feedback about haiku and sycamore but not about wing and artemis.. coupled with the fact that we can buy only from Australia (we emailed the US company and Australia company to see if there was any way to bring it in), we gave up on trying to get the fan from Australia as there were too many things to consider (warranty and installation and maintenance).. In the end we selected haiku.. was a long process though as haiku price had already gone up to around 900 by the time we wanted to get it (i heard that it is at 1200 now?).. we chose black as my geek thought it looked like some military aircraft (i forgot the name he used - was it stealth wing?) and hence preferred it over the white haiku.. (o.o)

Edited by princessandhergeek

on a previous occasion, we met with the caesarstone official reseller and she let us have a look at the samples =) in the end, we're choosing the 2141 Caesarstone Snow.. what we're considering now is whether to use the 40mm or the 20mm caesarstone surface o.o confusing!! o.o

some images of the caesarstone that the lady showed me:

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

we wanted 1141 caesarstone for our countertop, but the lady said tht there was no need for 1141 when 2141 looks so similar to it.. plus our tiles were ivory, so she suggested we take the snow colour =D

the colours that caesarstone had were very pretty - their ginger, cashmere, latte, walnut, mink, oyster and shiitake were gorgeous~ but we decided to stick to white this time >.< so perhaps the next time we'll try the other colours >.<

check out their gallery! their kitchens are quite inspirational (some) haha..

also loved iron ore from silestone.. but the price.. is WAYYYY beyond our budget o.o

on a previous occasion, we met with the caesarstone official reseller and she let us have a look at the samples =) in the end, we're choosing the 2141 Caesarstone Snow.. what we're considering now is whether to use the 40mm or the 20mm caesarstone surface o.o confusing!! o.o

I also using Caesarstone quartz top...nearly wanted to choose 2141 too... suggest u use 20mm...it will look nicer...how much pf did they quote you?

Edited by crypaz

I also using Caesarstone quartz top...nearly wanted to choose 2141 too... suggest u use 20mm...it will look nicer...how much pf did they quote you?

she quoted me at 180pfr for the 40mm one..she said that the price will drop if we switch to 20mm.. is the price ok? but price not inclusive of cutouts and GST.. anyway, i've requested to keep the cutouts - it will be good to place on table tops/ use as coffee table since the material is so durable =D hmmm i tot the 40mm will look nicer? o.o a bit blur hahaha but i seem like the only one who thinks 40mm is nicer =( even Roy and my geek both like the thinner one better hahaha..

what colour did u choose? 1141? i heard the price for that is much higher around 220 or 230 (cant rmb)

she quoted me at 180pfr for the 40mm one..she said that the price will drop if we switch to 20mm.. is the price ok? but price not inclusive of cutouts and GST.. anyway, i've requested to keep the cutouts - it will be good to place on table tops/ use as coffee table since the material is so durable =D hmmm i tot the 40mm will look nicer? o.o a bit blur hahaha but i seem like the only one who thinks 40mm is nicer =( even Roy and my geek both like the thinner one better hahaha..

what colour did u choose? 1141? i heard the price for that is much higher around 220 or 230 (cant rmb)

Hi i took 3141 instead...was quoted $160pf for 20mm so i think for your pricing is okay. Yes heard those "1" series is of a higher pricing. Wanted to choose the one you use but was concern that scratches and stains will be obvious, so choose 3141. Mine initially charge GST i ask them if they have another company which is non-gst registered which they can issue me invoice and they did so i save about $100 plus from the GST

Edited by crypaz

Wow...! The caesarstone samples are really nice... Where do u source it from?

What makes u choose caesarstone instead of silestone? The prices between two doesnt differ much, do they?

Hi i took 3141 instead...was quoted $160pf for 20mm so i think for your pricing is okay. Yes heard those "1" series is of a higher pricing. Wanted to choose the one you use but was concern that scratches and stains will be obvious, so choose 3141. Mine initially charge GST i ask them if they have another company which is non-gst registered which they can issue me invoice and they did so i save about $100 plus from the GST

ooo! okok i'll take ur advice! hehe.. hope can save the GST too.. hmmm.. maybe we'll go with the 20mm instead then.. hehehehe.. curiously, r u liasing with the same lady? from garnet? actually, the reason y i dare to take the white was because it is quartz hahaha.. scratch resistant and stain resistant >.< they did a test to leave red wine/ soy sauce and such on the quartz overnight and it didn't stain >.< i guess we will find out how tough it is after we have installed it hahahaha!

ooo! okok i'll take ur advice! hehe.. hope can save the GST too.. hmmm.. maybe we'll go with the 20mm instead then.. hehehehe.. curiously, r u liasing with the same lady? from garnet? actually, the reason y i dare to take the white was because it is quartz hahaha.. scratch resistant and stain resistant >.< they did a test to leave red wine/ soy sauce and such on the quartz overnight and it didn't stain >.< i guess we will find out how tough it is after we have installed it hahahaha!

I got it from a company call Craftstone...i guess different company from yours... we tested on the samples by scratching with a key...the "metal" scratch mark is more obvious on the snow white one (but can be remove one)....so that's why we went for another one that's not too obvious...but i do like the snow white one...

Wow...! The caesarstone samples are really nice... Where do u source it from?

What makes u choose caesarstone instead of silestone? The prices between two doesnt differ much, do they?

Hi sygnur!

i went to google caesarstone, called them up and requested to view their showroom =D then they told me their showrooms only have the pieces in cut out blocks (not the actual kitchen) and that the better way to view their quartz as a top was to go to the blum in ubi (so special o.o).. in that same call, they gave me two other numbers to call should i be interested to buy.. so i called one of the numbers, met up with the representative to see the samples as well as sit through a presentation and mini QnA with the lady haha.. afterwards she lent me her book of samples for a while so that i could show it to Roy =D I've returned the book to her already =D

anyway - i've actually been to silestone showroom previously (in changi if my memory serves me right). I was impressed with what they have there (huge selections as well as showcase of how the big piece would look like).. i took the samples that I like, and requested for a quote so that i can discuss it with my hubby - i was also impressed that silestone said that their quartz have anti bacterial quality.. i've confronted the caesarstone representative about silestone having anti-bacterial quality and the lady explained that silestone used some kind of seal to seal the surface so that there is an anti bacterial quality - caesarstone does not see the need for the seal as the quartz is already non-porous and can be used for dough kneading and so on even without the seal.. i guess i don't mind not having that anti-bacterial seal (imagine - what if the seal starts dissolving into the dough u r kneading on the quartz o.o).. another reason is - of all the samples at silestone, we like the blanco zeus and iron ore the best.. and the problem is - the salesperson said that blanco zeus has changed to a new colour even whiter than the previous white - problem is we have warm tiles, so would have prefer the previous white.. and iron ore is just.. too.. expensive...........it's way above the normal pricing....... so we decided to check out caesarstone.. and was pleasantly surprised.. i must say that i personally prefer the look of silestone blanco zeus over caesarstone 1141 or 2141, but in terms of how it matches with our wall tiles, i have to say that caesarstone's better.. maybe next time we'll use the ultra whitewhite tiles for the kitchen so that can use blanco zeus hahahahahahaha