Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
BusyBee

My White Sanctuary @casa Clementi

Hi, here's my MBR and BR2 design plan for easy reference.

mbrbr2.jpg

Due to space constraint in MBR, we have hacked away the L-shaped wall between MBR and BR2, then making use of thickness of wall, put in (1) a full ht storage cabinet cum TV console on 1 side. And put in (2)a L-shape partition in BR2 for a small WIW. In this way, MBR is more spacious and we still have space for a single bed for my MIL who is staying with us.

mbrwiwentrance.jpg

wiwentrance.jpg

wiwwithclothes.jpg

mbr3.jpg

Hi Busybee,

May I know what brand of white paint you used for your MBR door or is it the original colour? Thank you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

wow do u really spend time watching tv in the toilet? cuz the MBR toilet is quite small.. :unsure: now i'm curious how did u do up ur common toilet! :thumbs up:

ay, is the other room very small after wiw? did u build back the wall or used gypsum board partition?

Hi Busybee,

May I know what brand of white paint you used for your MBR door or is it the original colour? Thank you.

Original colour of these room doors are light brown. My contractor used Duluxe paint (don't know model) to paint over the doors upon our request.

wow do u really spend time watching tv in the toilet? cuz the MBR toilet is quite small.. :unsure: now i'm curious how did u do up ur common toilet! :thumbs up:

ay, is the other room very small after wiw? did u build back the wall or used gypsum board partition?

BR2 can still accommodate a single bed and a bedside table for my MIL and walking space between the bed and bay window settee (600mm in ht). We put up a L-shaped partition (don't know wat material. But it's not brick and not gypsum) with "lock wool" in BR2. With this "lock wool" and clothes in WIW, TV sounds from MBR is minimized.

Haha. This makes me jealous!!

I presume you can see it from the shower area too right?

Can you please share more photos of your amazing toilet. :)

On another note, do you use hot water when you shower? Because when I do the whole toilet fogs up..

How do you protect your TV and sound bar from the condensation and humidity?

Haha, indeed I can watch TV from shower cubicle. It's my "mental food staples" as I spend long time bathing. My hubby said I'm "xiao" :)

We dismantle the wooden bathroom door originally provided by HDB. This door will hit the sink and leaves us no standing room when open. Also make the bathroom very small and squeezed. Then got carpenter to box up the aluminum frame to leave it door less. So I guess u have to be open minded about it. In this way, water and condension is not kept behind bathroom door, thus it's not a.problem for us. Furthermore, we did not put in full ht glass shower cubicle. Instead, We put in a glass sliding door with gap above for air circulation.

Will try to upload more MBR bathroom photos soon.

Haha, indeed I can watch TV from shower cubicle. It's my "mental food staples" as I spend long time bathing. My hubby said I'm "xiao" :)

We dismantle the wooden bathroom door originally provided by HDB. This door will hit the sink and leaves us no standing room when open. Also make the bathroom very small and squeezed. Then got carpenter to box up the aluminum frame to leave it door less. So I guess u have to be open minded about it. In this way, water and condension is not kept behind bathroom door, thus it's not a.problem for us. Furthermore, we did not put in full ht glass shower cubicle. Instead, We put in a glass sliding door with gap above for air circulation.

Wow your toilet is really open concept ar .. Like onsen :)

Interesting WIW for you! Can I ask if you have a picture of it without the clothes? Also, is it pole system?

I bought the pole system from IKEA and my hubby installed DIY. And he did it on the same day that we moved house :sport-smiley-018: , so I did not take any pictures of WIW with the empty pole system without the clothes.

But here're the pictures of empty WIW and IKEA pole system (I took this photo at IKEA).

wiwempty.jpg

wiwpolesystem.jpg

Here are more MBR bathroom photos:

mbrbathroom3.jpg

mbrbathroom2.jpg

nobelrainshower.jpg

One of our prized possessions - Nobel Rain Shower 3-Way System, gotten at very good price at Universal Union :D

Thanks so much for the photos, thats really alot of stoage and makes your home so neat and beautiful. Thanks for taking the trouble to help me with the serial quote for the tiles, looking forward to received the quote from you :)Thanks thanks.

Homogeneous tiles from LSH Q4300GM

I bought the pole system from IKEA and my hubby installed DIY. And he did it on the same day that we moved house :sport-smiley-018: , so I did not take any pictures of WIW with the empty pole system without the clothes.

But here're the pictures of empty WIW and IKEA pole system (I took this photo at IKEA).

wiwempty.jpg

wiwpolesystem.jpg

Thanks Busybee!! You have really inspired me... Guess I should head down to IKEA soon!!!

I think the things that I remembered most from my reno were there was a new problem and challenge every day:

1. IDs

Even before we collected our keys in Mar 2012, I have started reading magazines and done online research on IDs (industry reputation, customer reviews, pros and cons etc) and reno ideas. Then we went to “shop” around for IDs and ideas.

But in the back of our mind, we were thinking of using our old ID who renovated our existing 3-room flat. Since his after-sales service has been very good and we have good “chemistry” during last reno. But we have some reserves since he left the reno firm and set up a new reno company with his partner. So we took our time “shopping” around and at the same time, asked him to show us current projects that he’s working on for workmanship and “feel”.

He shown us a few units and in the end, we decided to stick with him. We took into consideration that he’s not really an ID from renowned reno firm who will charge exorbitant fees for ideas alone. Such IDs normally will employ contractors to do the “hard” work. So we have to pay more for the same amount of work to be done. Also we tend to be quite firm in what we wanted in the design and colour and will “spoon-feed” ideas to the IDs. So most IDs will not be happy with working with owners like us and our reno will suffer as a result.

In the end, we have to do a lot of brainstorming and homework before sitting down with our ID and discuss with him. He will then throw in a few ideas which we sometimes include in our overall design.

2. Reno ideas and HDB Permit

Our first quotations include:

a) hacking of wall between MBR bathroom and MBR

b) hacking of wall and floor tiles for both bathrooms and replace them with homogeneous tiles

c) hacking of wall between kitchen and living room

d) hacking of wall between kitchen and service yard

Then ID informed us that HDB does not allow hacking in areas with waterproofing membrane. Any hacking in such areas has to be done after 3 years’ warranty period. But we asked ID to go ahead to apply HDB permit for these areas and reno was delayed till approval. Then (a) was rejected. We replaced (b) with overlay tiles instead of hacking. © was approved. (d) was subjected to PE endorsement at additional costs.

So after much hassles and delays, reno started in first week of April 2012.

HDB Floor Plan

floorplann.jpg

Space Planning

designplan.jpg

Key challenges/problems to solve through reno:

• PD Partitions and doors in common bathroom

• 2 entrances to common bathroom

• Wooden door at MBR Bathroom entrance

• Small MBR Bathroom

• Small Kitchen

• Huge piping above kitchen sink

• 2 huge full height piping in service yard

• Bomb shelter ventilation at dining corner and passageway

3. Tiles

My hubby and I have always been in agreement only to choose tiles (for its life span, durability and easy maintenance) for our living room, bedrooms, open concept kitchen and bathrooms.

Thus, we thought it will be easy since we have already decided on the materials and colour (white, of course :D ) we wanted. But gosh, there are lots and lots of choices even on whites alone! We couldn’t make up our mind initially. But it’s love at first sight when we sighted the homo tiles at LSH. It’s homo tiles with porcelain top coating to achieve the “white effect” that we have always wanted. Of course, it comes with a $4.40psf or $4.50psf price tag. But we decided to go with it. Then things started to drag after that. We took 2 days with the bathroom wall and floor tiles selection, visiting LSH and Hafary. We initially wanted the same tiles for bathroom wall and floor. But wall tiles are too slippery to use as floor tiles and my MIL is staying with us, so we have to discard this idea. After much hassles, we decided to go with smooth wall tiles 30x60 from LSH and rough floor tiles 30x30 from Hafary.

We regretted our decision on the bathroom floor tiles half way thru the reno. First of all, the tiling contractor did not align the wall tiles (30x60) with floor tiles (30x30). We assume this will be done without us having to remind them. But the contractor said it’s not the trend to align wall and floor tiles nowadays. After some negotiation, the contractor agrees to chip away the newly laid floor tiles and re-align with wall tiles. Then my dear hubby said no need to change, since both bathrooms flooring are already done and it’s too troublesome to change. He’s the one who complained in the first place 8|

Then after first few washings (with and without chemical), we realized that the urine stains and footprints left over by the workers are very difficult or impossible to wash off these rough floor tiles. The tiling workers have to use chemicals used in industrial cleaning to do the washing manually. And the contractor has to change quite a number of floor tiles in common bathroom as they are either chipped or stained. Even after cleaning, these rough tiles are easily stained and stains have to be rinsed or washed off immediately to prevent permanent damage. But we have to eat our own “humble pie” as we were the one who insisted on using these rough tiles, so we can’t blame the contractor in any way.

But finally, after we moved in, we fell in love with these rough tiles. As they dry quickly and not slippery at all when wet. It’s really a love and hate relationship that we have with these rough floor tiles :P

Before & After Hacking

Living Room - Before and after false ceiling and full ht storage cabinet cum TV console is put up

beforeafter1u.jpgBefore and after the wall between kitchen and dining corner is hacked away

Before and after the wall between kitchen and service yard is hacked away and kitchen walls are plastered

beforeafter2.jpg

Before and after L-shaped wall between MBR and BR2 is hacked away

beforeafter4v.jpgBefore and after L-shaped partition is put up in BR2 for WIW in MBR

Common Bathroom - Before and after PD doors and partitions are removed and wall and floor tiles overlaid

beforeafter3l.jpg

MBR Bathroom - Before and after MBR bathroom door is removed and aluminium frame boxed up