Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
madmax67

Estimated Cost For Renovating Terrace

Hi Curry FH

Thanks for your posts. Would appreciate if you can PM me your quotes and the contractor(s) you are using or have spoken to? I have the same idea as you- I am intending to purchase a 40-year old inter-terrace (2 storey, land 2000 sf). I like the whole layout of the house and will not be hacking any walls. In fact, I might even want to keep the old mosaic in the rooms and flooring in the living room to maintain the retro-look. I have taken your list and amended it to suit my needs. Here goes:

Living/dining

Ceramic flooring for living/dining

Change main wooden door

Change old sliding door to 1 panel glass door (full glass with 4 panel foldable)

Kitchen

Dry Kitchen cabinets and hardtop (about 4m long)

Wet Kicthen cabinets (3m long)

Hack floor/wall tiles

Install ceramic/homogenous floor and wall tiles

Granny/Maid

Re-contruct Wall Partition for a Granny room

Re-contruct Wall Partition for a maid room

Re-contruct Wall Partition for a toilet

Change floor tiles

Bedrooms

Overlay laminate flooring over parquet (1500 sqft)

Change toilet x 3 2 (redo walls and floors)

Walk-in wardrobes for Granny and Master bedroom

New tiles for balcony

Toilet

New Toilet (floor to wall) x 3

Relocation of 1 toilet bowl

New Stairs Railing (Full Glass)

Car auto gate (optional)

Piping with hot water heaters

Repainting interior and exterior of house

Relocation of New Airconditioning and new aircon piping (this house does not have any AC)

Features wall for Dinning & Living

Painting (Interior and Exterior)

New Electrical wiring and power points

New Windows Panels x 6

And also, new roof and new ceiling.

Do you think I can do all the above for less than SG$100?

Thanks in advance

100 very difficult but 100-120k possible. In fact, don't even need builder, any contractor can do for you. But doubt would be easy to find contractor now. Everyone's rushing for CNY.

Sidenote, so happy that my immediate neighbor's A&A going to be done by CNY started in Sep when i was in New York, did all the above you needed but more extensive by hacking several walls, rebuilding new walls, now doing exterior and interior plastering liao. Finally don't have an ugly dumpsite to greet visitors during CNY for me. Kudos to my builder for rushing their project too!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Not a guru myself but I have to admit that items that invovles the structural changes will be costly. Seriously u might want to reconsider not shifting the stairs, might help u save a little. The golden rule is always get at least 3 quotes to compare. I think I did more sutff than u but my damages was around $450k, inculding carpentry and fittings.

Hi,

I'm looking at A&A works for my terrace. Can you pm me your contractor's contact?

Mine is an inter-T, 2 storeys and planning to add an attic.

Thanks

Thanks ! Ya.. I sotong already. Hoping can be done within $100k.

I don't have floor plan cos in negotiation stage to buy this old inter terrace (more than 40 yrs old).

Honestly most 40-60yo terrace same pattern coz my family is in the construction biz after WWII, last time not many architectural firms mah so all copy same pattern. From East Coast to Bukit Timah if you notice all same same

Downstairs = living room, dining room, kitchen, granny room, outdoor kitchen, 1 common toilet

Staircase = normally not facing maindoor (fengshui) then got those pocket tiles (for ventilation)

Floor = last time using mosaic (nice lah but cleaning is a headache but can use any form of detergent even bleach works wonders)

outdoor kitchen = if original owner then mostly is cement which means as new owner you need to just hack and put tiles

Upstairs = if it's semiD, there'll be 3bedrooms, masterbedroom always faces front (again fengshui) with ensuite toilets, 2other bedrooms behind share 1 toilet and longest pattern. if its terrace then same thing but there's just 3bedroom, no masterbedroom. And there'll always be a balcony in the front. If you heng, some old houses covered up their balcony into bedroom and got it approved as bedroom many years ago, if suay then not converted means if you erect then cannot be kept as balcony only under A&A can be retained as balcony.

Overall these days for semiD & corner terrace, new erection would be around 700k - 1M (must build bomb shelter), inter terrace around 400-550k for reconstruction or major A&A with extension (normally need piling, BCA these days very very niow of coz with piling they also make more $$ for authorization admin fees). And both cases need PE, Architect and builder, average 10-12months.

if just minor reno, no major changes in structural then less 100-120k reasonable market rate, 200k can get you good furnishings (marble, grohe, hansgrohe, parquet flooring, EU kitchen etc), HDB/Condo contractors can do your job. takes about 3-4months

Seriously hor, some guru should just post terminology and market rates lah, everyone asking same questions.

Hi all

Sorry for being MIA for a while, was busy moving to a rental place and then went for holiday.

After much talking to 4 serious builders, I settled for one (whom Im going to call B) which quoted me 467k for the following A&A works - that included :

- all preliminaries

- all hacking works

- extension of back for 1st and 2nd floor

- construction of 2nd level floor slab to level up 1st floor's height to 4.5m, and construction of 3rd level floor slab

- creating 3 large rooms with ensuite bathrooms (my master bedroom will take up the entire 3rd story, which is about 70% of the size of my 2nd floor). Also adding a family room on 2nd level with the option to convert into a guest room

- maid's room and common bathroom downstairs

- wet and dry kitchen's tiling works

- ceramic flooring for 1st level (which for living/dining I will change to marble - which means I need to add more $)

- parquet for all floors

- change all windows and doors including door frames, including sliding door for wet kitchen

- brand new staircase for whole house

- airconditioning of the whole house

- new car porch roof and decking at the other half of the entrance

- new autogate

- all new electrical and piping

- painting of interior and exterior of house

- new meter post

- new Kliplock roof, trellis roof at the back

Carpentry and accessories not included.

I chose B not because he is cheap but he is very passionate in what he's doing, and he is very flexible and creative.

Although this is way beyond what I initially wanted to do which is just renovation, the thought that by having an A&A would give the house a bigger built-in with a good layout my family and I all like, made me decided to plonk more $. I am looking forward to the start of the construction soon!

Happy New Year!

cheers

Edited by madmax67

The A&A works are in progress now. I did a roof terrace also with expected area gain of 1200sqf. I have also extend some part of living hall (which structural works needed) with a level 2 bedroom balcony.

Dear Rolex,

You mentioned that you have extended part of living hall with structural works. How long did your PE take to draw up plans and get approval from BCA and URA. I am planning to extend my 2nd storey floor into the void area with double volume ceiling in living room and the PE is saying that they will take 1 month to do drawings and 3 months for approval. The total area being added on is about 24sq metres and PE fees alone is $15,000. What did you pay for your PE fees?

Thanks,

Highwest

Dear Rolex,

You mentioned that you have extended part of living hall with structural works. How long did your PE take to draw up plans and get approval from BCA and URA. I am planning to extend my 2nd storey floor into the void area with double volume ceiling in living room and the PE is saying that they will take 1 month to do drawings and 3 months for approval. The total area being added on is about 24sq metres and PE fees alone is $15,000. What did you pay for your PE fees?

Thanks,

Highwest

I think the timeframe is reasonable but the cost seems pretty high. I paid my PE S$15K for the entire reconstruction of my inter-terrace and many forumers already claim that it is very high. You might want to get a few more quotes.