Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sunnyting

Advice Needed ---Painting

Hi everyone

I need ur kind advice urgently.

I engaged a ID to do my Reno and it goes okay until now..... Except that....

Now the painter (subcontractor) started painting on wed, we found it nearly finished on sat!

However, we found they used a very cheap and low end and very smelly paint for us!!

It is Nippon matex and ICI super maxilite. Both are very cheap and smelly! Totally different from what we agreed in the contract ( which is Nippon vim ilex 5000)

I am pregnant, we did tell the ID that the paint must be good, but now it still happened like this .....

My concern now are, the paint is very harmful to me and bb, I am not sure when I can move in.... How long I should wait.... I am renting outside and really need to move in ASAP but now seems impossible to do so

2nd , I heard that this kind of low end paint will not last long, in 6 mth, there will be powder coming down and color will be lighter and lighter.... I cannot accept this kind of quality... And take the risk in the future.....

What shall I do? Really depressed.... Need ur advice urgently.... Thx

Anything I can do now?

Repaint with good paint again?

I guess Repaint doesn't help anything on hiding the harm of the smelly low end paint?

Any other pros and cons or alternative way I can go with except arguing with the ID?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Sunnything,

The Paint Smell is inevitable, I used ICI All in One also got smell. Thankfully your painter used either Nippon matex or ICI super maxilit,

it would have caused more distress if they used some China brand or even more inferior paint.

Re painting is not an option as it will cost $$$ and the Smell will also be there.

Most new items in the house are prone to Gassing esp your spanking new mattress ( worst IMO)... Laminate / New Kitchen Cabinet / New Sofa etc.

I would suggest you just air the house for a couple of days and imo Nippon matex or ICI super maxilite is not the worst paint money can buy.

Your clearly Stressed about the New Baby and House. Take some time off to relax and try to stop stressing , it'll do you and your Baby Good.

hi wishxpress,

thx for advice!

I would say the paint is totally different from what we agreed on contract. the subcontractor is playing tricks on us, and our Id is young and inexperienced, and busy without any checking at beginning! am very disappointed

we told the id this problem on sat! so far no investigation and no response yet, I knew he was fully lacked on Sun!

so I called nippon customer service for professional advice this morning..... they advised to repaint to cover the smell and the suggested use odorless all in one for pregnant lady and small kids....and they commented that matex is the low grade brand they are not marketing it coz it's not durable and easily wear and tear.....

anyone has any idea hear? if I repaint use oderless, will it cover all smell and harm to us ?

thx

Hi,

I experienced the exact same thing and fortunately i found out before the paint could paint my house with the inferior paint. My ID is also playing the same trick and when confronted, his reply is that the paint we wanted and agreed ran out and therefore they had to change to other series in order not to delay the whole process......my goodness, this is an outright lie and completely unprofessional. So I insisted on changing and asked them to speed up and stick to the original schedule.

I strong advise you to complain to your ID and request for re-paint of the whole house. I can tell you very clear that the difference in the level of smell is vast - one of my room use the high-end series (can't remember what exactly it is called) and the other room lower easy-wash series, the difference in smell is huge.

Be strong, and fight for yourself and your baby.

Hi sunnyting, the first thing u should do is to keep the rooms well ventilated... If u have fans (not air-cons), keep it on throughout the day. The smell will disperse in about 1-2days.

Do u mind revealing how much u paid for the painting works n ur home consist of how many rooms ? From there it will be easier to judge if its priced reasonably. No point re-painting as u mentioned u r in a hurry to move in.

As for how to settle with ur id ? Tell him in a nice way that u are actually paying for that certain paint model but hes giving u something else thats cheaper. Most likely way out is for the id to give some discount from the painting works.

hi wishxpress,

thx for advice!

I would say the paint is totally different from what we agreed on contract. the subcontractor is playing tricks on us, and our Id is young and inexperienced, and busy without any checking at beginning! am very disappointed

we told the id this problem on sat! so far no investigation and no response yet, I knew he was fully lacked on Sun!

so I called nippon customer service for professional advice this morning..... they advised to repaint to cover the smell and the suggested use odorless all in one for pregnant lady and small kids....and they commented that matex is the low grade brand they are not marketing it coz it's not durable and easily wear and tear.....

anyone has any idea hear? if I repaint use oderless, will it cover all smell and harm to us ?

thx

oderless still have smell try buying mess charcoal. place all corner might help

If the ID agreed by giving Vinelex 5000 under FOC items. Please do not expect more from them.

Ever if you argue with ID, they are not going to repaint for you. As for the ordorless, its not 100% too..

Mind sharing which ID firm?

The same thing happened to me! I think some of these contractors were pretty unscrupulous. Just to share, my previous house, there is a piece of wall where I used penalite. In 1/2 year, mould grew on that piece of wall. So for my new house, I topped up almost $2K more to ask for top of the line ICI Dulux All and Nippon odourless all-in-one paints. But on the first day when painting was supposed to start, I noticed that some paints were penalite and some were Vil5000. I kicked up a fuss and insisted the painter changed them. My ID called the painter and said they will change...I also called my ID and reminded him NOT to paint my walls with the inferior paint. He assured me again and again that they will not do it....and guess what? The next day when I checked, they've painted some of my walls with the inferior paints. I was so :furious: I called my ID and the painter boss down and gave them a big piece of my mind.

From then on, I only see ICI Dulux All and Nippon odourless all-in-one paints when I walk around the house. They also repainted the walls using the correct series. I checked and ensure that they did.

So my advice is not to compromise on paint. When mould grows, it will be very difficult to get rid of. BTW my painter said Matex is a very very low grade paint that they only use to paint ceiling and nowhere else.

Edited by Minerat

The same thing happened to me! I think some of these contractors were pretty unscrupulous. Just to share, my previous house, there is a piece of wall where I used penalite. In 1/2 year, mould grew on that piece of wall. So for my new house, I topped up almost $2K more to ask for top of the line ICI Dulux All and Nippon odourless all-in-one paints. But on the first day when painting was supposed to start, I noticed that some paints were penalite and some were Vil5000. I kicked up a fuss and insisted the painter changed them. My ID called the painter and said they will change...I also called my ID and reminded him NOT to paint my walls with the inferior paint. He assured me again and again that they will not do it....and guess what? The next day when I checked, they've painted some of my walls with the inferior paints. I was so :furious: I called my ID and the painter boss down and gave them a big piece of my mind.

From then on, I only see ICI Dulux All and Nippon odourless all-in-one paints when I walk around the house. They also repainted the walls using the correct series. I checked and ensure that they did.

So my advice is not to compromise on paint. When mould grows, it will be very difficult to get rid of. BTW my painter said Matex is a very very low grade paint that they only use to paint ceiling and nowhere else.

im very curious on the highlighted portion... If matex is really that bad, wont the ceiling "pop" v soon ?? Have you tried asking the painter that question ?

Hi Guys, what are the name/model of paint and sealers that you guys would recommend??? I am painting only white colour on both my walls and ceilings. Thanks!

nippon paint is quite reputable n commonly used in singapore, visit their website n you can get a clear look on their products... Theres product specifications on different models where you can compare...

im very curious on the highlighted portion... If matex is really that bad, wont the ceiling "pop" v soon ?? Have you tried asking the painter that question ?

Beats me :dunno: This is what the painter boss told me. It's like in his mitigation for using Penalite, he said at least he didn't use Matex to paint my walls.

Borrow this thread.

Anyone used the new Nippon Momento Paint? From the catalog it looks quite nice, got wall paper effect. I'm wondering if it worth asking contractor to paint it or we paint ourselves.

Will it look funny?