Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Sunbird73

Soil Investigation Report- Is It Mandatory?

I'm about to embark on house-reconstruction journey, adding an attic to my 2-sty inter terrace and doing extension both

in front & at the rear.

The proposed GFA is abt 3750sqft (from existing built-up area of 2400sqft)

The enginner has confirmed that the current foundation is srong enough and no piling is required.

We have done a topographical survey which is required in the submission for approval to URA.

Next will be the soil investigation survey.

I have learned from the forum that you could buy a copy of the soil test report from any of your neighbours (within 50m radius)

who has done it. It is acceptable to BCA.

I have approached some of my neighbours who have recently done major a&a and rebuilding, but they claimed that

they did not do the test as it is not required.

My question is:

1. Is soil investigation mandatory? Is my architect just playing it safe?

thanks much...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I'm about to embark on house-reconstruction journey, adding an attic to my 2-sty inter terrace and doing extension both

in front & at the rear.

The enginner has confirmed that the current foundation is srong enough and no piling is required.

We have done a topographical survey which is required in the submission for approval to URA.

I have learned from the forum that you could buy a copy of the soil test report from any of your neighbours (within 50m radius)

I have approached some of my neighbours who have recently done major a&a and rebuilding, but they claimed that

My question is:

thanks much...

(I was hoping that Leechaorui can be more active in the forum...)

Hmm, let me put it this way...

If the PE really made a certification of the existing foundation without the soil test, I will have questioned him. No need to wait for architect to do it.

Cheers!

Btw, the topographical survey is not for URA, as far as I know. It is produced in CAD file format, which the architect based on for his drawings for the agency submissions.

So, if the surveying is salah, then the architect's also salah, but the architect will blame the surveyor, Lol.

Edited by Lauer

My question is:

thanks much...

I was told by my architect in june that soil report cannot be bought from your neighbors even if they are 5houses away, say 1 terrace house frontage is 8m max, 5houses = 50m. You could however use the soil test report from next door.

The next question is "How long was the "RECENTLY DONE major A&A and rebuilding?" if it's 2years then its about right, at that time you could share soil test report but now cannot liao. I don't think A&A need soil test but rebuilding need.

What i know is...your architect got do homework, knows his stuff well.

I was told by my architect in june that soil report cannot be bought from your neighbors even if they are 5houses away, say 1 terrace house frontage is 8m max, 5houses = 50m. You could however use the soil test report from next door.

The next question is "How long was the "RECENTLY DONE major A&A and rebuilding?" if it's 2years then its about right, at that time you could share soil test report but now cannot liao. I don't think A&A need soil test but rebuilding need.

What i know is...your architect got do homework, knows his stuff well.

Thanks Lauer and Pantieileen for your inputs.

I know I should trust my architect as he is indeed very experienced and knowledgable.

At least I'm now able to get rid of the lingering feeling that the soil test may be optional.

For those doing reconstruction, don't forget to write to IRA for the property tax reassessment for the construction duration (the old house is torn down mah, tax what?).

I don't know for A&A but I supposed the same principle should apply.

Enjoy!

Edited by Lauer

Thanks for the tip, Lauer!

I don't even know such tax relief exist.

Yw.

Conversely, the incremental GFA also will attract additional tax in future. So, "illegal alteration" is not only refering to the alteration that violates URA regulation but also tax avoidance.

Enjoy!