Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ehspro

My Villa Verde

Just walked pass your place! Nice place u have there GMC

thanks. Will be putting up christmas decors very soon.

target to move in by christmas? Your unit looks well maintained by the previous owner.

The neighborhood committee chairman lives a few units away from you, add 42 to ur unit number.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

BTW, keppel land used cat5 cables for all the telephone points. You can convert all the phone points to UTP network.

I am using using MoCa network to extend my ethernet to living and family area where there is no network point, so I can use MioTV on Fibre, no lag, full HD.

GMC

Thanks for the heads-up. Can you enlighten me on UTP network? Anyway i have gotton my electrician to run hidden RJ45 Cat 6 cables to key strategic points on level 1 living, level 2 family & study and level 3 master bedrooms for wireless routers, IPTV & other entertainment/security devices respectively. I understand reliance on wifi only devices are not reliable because of the size & structural design of the house.

The chairman stays at on which street? Is it that GXX person? BTW what is the committees' roles & functions? Do we need to contribute any funding?

GMC

Thanks for the heads-up. Can you enlighten me on UTP network? Anyway i have gotton my electrician to run hidden RJ45 Cat 6 cables to key strategic points on level 1 living, level 2 family & study and level 3 master bedrooms for wireless routers, IPTV & other entertainment/security devices respectively. I understand reliance on wifi only devices are not reliable because of the size & structural design of the house.

The chairman stays at on which street? Is it that GXX person? BTW what is the committees' roles & functions? Do we need to contribute any funding?

Your electrician will have fun cutting groove lines on the wall to embed the wires.

he stays on the same street as u & me. his name is Derrick Chong. If I'm not wrong, a lot of the committee members are civil servants or pro-PAP. Goto facebook, there is a Villa Verde NC page, request to join, they will verify u.

as u know, we have a lot of parking problems in our estate. it has become a major issue, sometimes garbage truck cannot pass through on weekends or festive periods.

If you are replacing your main door lockset with good stuffs, head down to Equip-design. The Baldwin locksets seems to be the most compatible without much modification to the wooden door. I think i paid $1.6k for it.

Edited by GMC

GMC

(I wrote a post on NGN in Minaret's thread, so I don't repeat those here)

UTP, which stands for Unshielded Twisted Pair, is not a network per se but a type of signal cable. Just like Starhub's coaxial is another type of cable.

UTP cabling is primarily implemented for computer network running TCPIP and this type of network is also called Ethernet network. Existingly, this network is running the IPv4 protocol but to facilitate the deployment of IPv6 this is where the CAT 6 UTP cable comes into the picture.

(This year June 6 was the "World IPv6 Day", during which most major IT firms like Microsoft, Google etc started adding the IPv6 protocol in their networks/websites while retaining IPv4 for transition. In time to come, a cutoff point will come when they will then switch off IPv4 to go fully IPv6. This means that, then if your network is not IPv6 compliant or ready then jialat.)

There are 2 main reasons why you should install CAT 6 cabling when the opportunity arises, such as while doing renovation:

1. It is required to run IPv6 as additional pairs (as in twisted pair) of wire are used,

2. To run higher speed network from Mega to Giga.

CAT 5e cannot deliver these.

Have fun rerunning the cables if you have not done so.

Enjoy!

Edited by Lauer

Bro Lauer

Can you speak English?! Haha Can you explain in layman terms in what we should do? Especially when we hve opportunity to do renovation? I am not so tech savvy but would like to learn more!

Thanks!

Bro Lauer

Can you speak English?! Haha Can you explain in layman terms in what we should do? Especially when we hve opportunity to do renovation? I am not so tech savvy but would like to learn more!

Thanks!

LOL...what you are doing is correct mah?

Other detail please refer to the post at Minaret's.

Cheers!

There are 2 main reasons why you should install CAT 6 cabling when the opportunity arises, such as while doing renovation:

1. It is required to run IPv6 as additional pairs (as in twisted pair) of wire are used,

2. To run higher speed network from Mega to Giga.

Bro,

Although I have retired from the IT scene, my fundamental knowledge tells me IPv6 addressing has nothing to do with Cable type. So your (1) seems untrue.?

I do accept (2) as Cat6 will deliver higher speed. As far as I can see, I have a 100mbps Fibre plan, 2 x IPTV STB @ HD1080 runs 10mbps x 2, I left with 80mbps for Local WWW, International Traffic is at most 15mbps. So if all of us switched to cloud computing, do we actually need CAT6 cables? If I have a Data Center at home, I don't even run Cat 6. My current Router is SFP ready, a mixture of Gigabit and Ethernet and MoCa 1.1 and awaiting to Upgrade to MoCa 2.0 which also supports Gigabit throughputs.

Edited by GMC

Bro Lauer

Thanks!

You shouldn't be worrying too much about CAT6 and IPv6 because you won't have time to meddle with it after moving into a terrace. More time spend climbing stairs, soaking in the tub, doing lawn...etc

Bro,

Although I have retired from the IT scene, my fundamental knowledge tells me IPv6 addressing has nothing to do with Cable type. So your (1) seems untrue.?

I do accept (2) as Cat6 will deliver higher speed. As far as I can see, I have a 100mbps Fibre plan, 2 x IPTV STB @ HD1080 runs 10mbps x 2, I left with 80mbps for Local WWW, International Traffic is at most 15mbps. So if all of us switched to cloud computing, do we actually need CAT6 cables? If I have a Data Center at home, I don't even run Cat 6. My current Router is SFP ready, a mixture of Gigabit and Ethernet and MoCa 1.1 and awaiting to Upgrade to MoCa 2.0 which also supports Gigabit throughputs.

Yes, you are correct that CAT 5 does deliver IPv6 protocol. This is the protocol layer (layer 2).

As you know, CAT 5 uses only 2 pairs of wire whereas CAT 6 uses all 4 pairs. The packeting mechanism is vastly different between the two. Even the connectors are different.

Anyway, the context of this subject was, "if you have the opportunity to change the cable, as in a home renovation, should you install CAT 6 cabling?". The answer is "Yes".

What you have today, in using CAT 5e, I can agree that it runs the applications you have. But for tomorrow who knows?

Cheers!

Edited by Lauer

Yes, you are correct that CAT 5 does deliver IPv6 protocol. This is the protocol layer (layer 2).

As you know, CAT 5 uses only 2 pairs of wire whereas CAT 6 uses all 4 pairs. The packeting mechanism is vastly different between the two. Even the connectors are different.

Anyway, the context of this subject was, "if you have the opportunity to change the cable, as in a home renovation, should you install CAT 6 cabling?". The answer is "Yes".

What you have today, in using CAT 5e, I can agree that it runs the applications you have. But for tomorrow who knows?

Cheers!

Let's make it clearer, ethernet uses 2 pairs, gigabit uses 4 pairs.

You can achieve gigabit even with CAT5 cables and CAT5 connectors because CAT5/6 still fall within the RJ45 8P8C specs , ofcourse not everyone has the luck.

CAT6 certified cable and connector will promise you the gigabit.

With the introduction of CAT7, should our friend here be moving forward for the future?

Let's make it clearer, ethernet uses 2 pairs, gigabit uses 4 pairs.

You can achieve gigabit even with CAT5 cables and CAT5 connectors because CAT5/6 still fall within the RJ45 8P8C specs , ofcourse not everyone has the luck.

CAT6 certified cable and connector will promise you the gigabit.

With the introduction of CAT7, should our friend here be moving forward for the future?

Anyway, this is Renotalk forum, not an IT forum and I am also not in IT. Apology to Ehspro for occupying the thread.

A song for all readers...

Enjoy!

Edited by Lauer

Anyway, this is Renotalk forum, not an IT forum and I am also not in IT. Apology to Ehspro for occupying the thread.

A song for all readers...

Enjoy!

No worries we are here to share and learn from each other! :yamseng: