Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
summersann

The Experience: Our First Home

Yes, it's an EM too.

We are waiting for the 3D to be out, should be 2 wks time.

We tried to put whatever we can think of in the main quote, no want any last minute surprise. A full overhaul too.

I will prefer to omit than add on next time. Haha...no want any heart attack.

Really siong to renovate an EM!

I totally understand what you mean. The other ID we're still waiting on, her quotation doesn't include any of the things you mentioned either. Plus, she forgot to add in some additional changes to the original floorplan (which means more $$). Don't even dare to think about it now :P

And VO. I'm praying there isn't any/much. Are you renovating an EM too?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Shall post the quotation we've gotten from the 1 of the final 2 IDs still in the running (we have a current preference, but final confirmation shall be on Thursday!). Still waiting for the other ID to send us the final quotation.

Demolition & Construction Works - $6,742

Wet Works - $17,385

Painting Works - $3,800

False Ceiling & Fibrous Plasterboard Wall Works - $7,760

Glass Works - $3,606

Window Works - $3,938

Door Works - $5,460

Polishing Works - $4,720

Flooring Works - $4,600

Carpentry Works - $32, 043 ( :jawdrop: we're aiming to cut down quite a bit from this)

Plumbing and Piping Works - $2,188

Electrical Works - $5,089

Miscellaneous - $720

Any opinions welcomed! :)

Quotation seems to suggest that EM owners need to have pockets that r deep enough.

Your big ticket items like carpentry n wet works r all quoted in lump sum. I would suggest u get them to breakdown the cost.I feel that even the other costs should be transparent. Ultimately u r the one paying the bill..... U have the right to know right?

Am i right that your Electrical rewiring, air con installation, staircase and buying of lightings, toilet n kitchen accessories have also not been factored in?

Yes, it's an EM too.

We are waiting for the 3D to be out, should be 2 wks time.

We tried to put whatever we can think of in the main quote, no want any last minute surprise. A full overhaul too.

I will prefer to omit than add on next time. Haha...no want any heart attack.

Really siong to renovate an EM!

YES! Totally agree with you. We constantly check with the IDs about each area of the house, coming close to nagging :P I'd rather have the "worst case scenario" number first and know what to expect, then omit whatever I can sacrifice.

Quotation seems to suggest that EM owners need to have pockets that r deep enough.

Your big ticket items like carpentry n wet works r all quoted in lump sum. I would suggest u get them to breakdown the cost.I feel that even the other costs should be transparent. Ultimately u r the one paying the bill..... U have the right to know right?

Am i right that your Electrical rewiring, air con installation, staircase and buying of lightings, toilet n kitchen accessories have also not been factored in?

Oh the quote is actually quite detailed. But it's SO long (11-paged quotation) that I decided to just show the whole sum of each area of work :P

The staircase, electrical rewiring and aircon installation (but not including purchase of aircon unit) are included in the quote. Can't imagine the sum if they weren't already included! Most of the other IDs we approached didn't include rewiring and installation prices, and their quotes were already 85-90k!

Edited by summersann

wow your carpentry seems sky rocket.

is id for u a must?

how about coordinating the work partially yourself or u totally has work commitment so no time for some coordination.

some more u never hack the 2nd level floor..

prob could u elaborate your carpentry work??

The boy and I actually deliberated over the contractor vs ID issue for quite a while! Ultimately, we decided that we needed someone with a design eye to help put our ideas together (we have A LOT of ideas) and make it coherent. Otherwise, I think the house will come out looking like a mish-mash of everything, very "chak pa lang". Also, we don't want to have to coordinate everything cuz we're doing an overhaul and this is our first renovation, so we're very noob, hahaha :P

The carpentry IS crazy right! Glad you agree. The boy doesn't see that point! I'm going to try very hard to take out whatever I can do without, because I want the freedom to style my place with loose pieces. I'll type out the detailed quote for carpentry when I get home! Meeting another designer tonight (we seriously need to stop meeting new designers, but it's very addictive to speak to different designers to see their ideas).

Thanks for giving your opinion! Keep them coming!

Agree that it is very addictive to speak to diff designers to get new ideas! But it can be a frustrating process too! We have met 10 n still can't find the one..

Btw can you share who you will be signing with?

Agree that it is very addictive to speak to diff designers to get new ideas! But it can be a frustrating process too! We have met 10 n still can't find the one..

Btw can you share who you will be signing with?

You're right, it does get frustrating. Like when designers overlook what you specifically mention as a 'must', or overlook major things in their quotation but include those ideas in their layout, or create mood boards that don't appeal to you at all (despite having spent 1-2hours talking about your preferences). The list goes on. 10 seems to be the number! We met 10 as well.

I PM-ed you regarding who we will (most probably) be signing with. Trying not to say it openly until we officially decide after HDB 1st appointment :)

Edited by summersann

wow your carpentry seems sky rocket.

is id for u a must?

how about coordinating the work partially yourself or u totally has work commitment so no time for some coordination.

some more u never hack the 2nd level floor..

prob could u elaborate your carpentry work??

Here's the break-down of the carpentry work in the quotation mentioned.

Foyer

Supply and install low shoe cabinet (8ft) in selected laminated finish, internal carcass in colored/woodgrain PVC finish $1,400

Staircase

Supply and install Tall Cabinet with deep drawers (6ft) in selected laminated finish, internal carcass in white PVC finish $1,800

Kitchen

Supply and install bottom cabinet (13ft) in selected laminated finish, internal carcass in colored/woodgrain PVC finish $2,405

Supply and install Quartz Top (13ft) @ Kitchen cabinet $2,080

Supply and install wooden support for counter in selected laminate finish $550 [we're probably changing this part of the design]

Supply and install Quartz @ Custom-made counter & low wall $3,800 [we're probably changing this part of the design]

Supply and install full-height microwave/oven cabinet (5ft) in selected laminated finish, internal carcass in colored/woodgrain PVC finish $1,450

Master Bedroom

Supply and install full-height double-sided finish sliding wardrobe (7ft) in selected laminated finish, internal carcass in colored/woodgrain PVC finish $2,940

Bedroom 1 & 2

Supply and install full-height sliding wardrobe (21ft) in selected laminated finish, internal carcass in colored/woodgrain PVC finish $7,350 $[this wardrobe is humongous and we'll probably change it. The designer factored in space for us to store our bags, the only designer who thought about that! impressed :)]

Supply and install suspended writing plank in selected laminated finish $693 [we're probably changing this part of the design]

Supply and install double sliding door in selected laminated finish $1,250

Supply and install double-sliding door track $200

Supply and install wall-hung cabinet (10ft) in selected laminated finish, internal carcass in colored/woodgrain PVC finish @ Dry Vanity Area $1,850 [we're probably changing this part of the design]

Supply and install solid surface top (10ft) with wooden support @ Dry Vanity Area $1,300 [we're probably changing this part of the design]

Master Toilet

Supply and install wall-hung cabinet (5ft) in selected laminated finish, internal carcass in colored/woodgrain PVC finish $925 [we're probably changing this part of the design]

Supply and install solid surface vanity (7ft) $700

Supply and install bi-fold door in selected laminated finish $980

Supply and install bi-fold door track $120

Common Toilet 2

Supply and install solid surface vanity $250

Edited by summersann

Painting looks on the high side. Can't tell for the rest unless we see more detailed breakdown of works expected. What are you polishing that costs almost 5k?

Painting looks on the high side. Can't tell for the rest unless we see more detailed breakdown of works expected. What are you polishing that costs almost 5k?

The breakdown:

Painting Works

Paint whole unit using ICI/Nippon emulsion paint with ceiling with matex

Using Odorless Series

ICI gloss paint for PVC sewage pipes

ICI gloss paint for main doorframe and gate

No color limitation $3,200

Sealer $600

Polishing Works

Polish parquet flooring @ Master Bedroom $200

Make good of damaged parquet @ Master Bedroom $250

Supply, install & varnish parquet flooring @ Hacked Wall Area of Bedroom 1 & 2 $1,150

Supply, install & varnish parquet flooring @ staircase (small planks) $3,120

I think it's because the designer included the supplying of parquet to patch up the affected areas after hacking? Not sure about the painting works though.

Opinions welcomed!

Polishing works is expensive... Mine was a low 3k plus...

Painting still looks expensive even to me. Think many EM owners did at much lower price than mine some more.

Demolition is expensive too.

Erm, end of the day you decide if its worth paying for the ID lor. From what I can see, the ID premium is very high. Mine is also ID price but not as staggeringly above market price.

Polishing works is expensive... Mine was a low 3k plus...

Painting still looks expensive even to me. Think many EM owners did at much lower price than mine some more.

Demolition is expensive too.

We're quite noob at this. Which part of the polishing works is expensive? It's probably either the making good of strip between 2 bedrooms or staircase?

Edited by summersann

All expensive I think. Like I said, mine was a low 3k plus. Probably for the same amount of work that is costing you 4.7k. Think my staircase was a low 2k plus? Have a look at the other EM t-blogs.

All expensive I think. Like I said, mine was a low 3k plus. Probably for the same amount of work that is costing you 4.7k. Think my staircase was a low 2k plus? Have a look at the other EM t-blogs.

Thanks!

The breakdown:

Painting Works

Paint whole unit using ICI/Nippon emulsion paint with ceiling with matex

Using Odorless Series

ICI gloss paint for PVC sewage pipes

ICI gloss paint for main doorframe and gate

No color limitation $3,200

Sealer $600

Polishing Works

Polish parquet flooring @ Master Bedroom $200

Make good of damaged parquet @ Master Bedroom $250

Supply, install & varnish parquet flooring @ Hacked Wall Area of Bedroom 1 & 2 $1,150

Supply, install & varnish parquet flooring @ staircase (small planks) $3,120

I think it's because the designer included the supplying of parquet to patch up the affected areas after hacking? Not sure about the painting works though.

Opinions welcomed!

Although I dun agreed with my ID the way they charged us but I think my 4 rooms plus staircase brand new laminate is abt 5K so why not changed new 1 instead of polish here and there, varnish here and patch up there?? I didnt see u mentioned about plastering, izzit included??