Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
summersann

The Experience: Our First Home

Thanks Berlinbear and Z3phy!

The house is still in a mess, so there isn't much to take pictures of.

image-68.jpg

But I just noticed the shadows cast by the lights in the bathroom!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Got more stuff over the weekends, but the place is too messy to be photographed. Now the arranging of furniture and stuff is done mostly over the weekend. Wish we could just take 2 weeks off to make the house more like a home.

Meanwhile, more shots of the animal family.

image-69.jpg

image-70.jpg

hi rockyAtRenotalk! I remember reading your t-blog and thinking that your choice of materials seriously lives up to your nick! How's renovation coming along? First week in the new home is great, except that we haven't stopped cleaning and unpacking and arranging and buying things that we realize we lack. Seriously exhausting! Haven't actually gotten a chance to sit down and enjoy the new place. Can't wait to finally be done arranging things to our fancy and start to enjoy the new home :D

Hahaha... ok, I get it. My renovation is still in a mess now. Exposed trunking really isn't my cup of tea, but we decided to go the "approved" way... so no choice. I just updated my blog so if you have time - sitting around, nothing to do after updating your own blog, pop over to mine and take a peek. :)

I am just amazed that you could conjure up till the finest details in your renovations - to even appreciate things like shadows cast on the walls, tissue box, etc. I wish I could just have 10% of your meticulosity, but oh well...

Enjoy your new house, and take your time. There will be enough time to smell the flowers and listen to the brids chirp... :)

Hahaha... ok, I get it. My renovation is still in a mess now. Exposed trunking really isn't my cup of tea, but we decided to go the "approved" way... so no choice. I just updated my blog so if you have time - sitting around, nothing to do after updating your own blog, pop over to mine and take a peek. :)

I am just amazed that you could conjure up till the finest details in your renovations - to even appreciate things like shadows cast on the walls, tissue box, etc. I wish I could just have 10% of your meticulosity, but oh well...

Enjoy your new house, and take your time. There will be enough time to smell the flowers and listen to the brids chirp... :)

Exposed trunking can be quite cool if done with a design in mind. So don't worry, I'm sure it'll turn out okay! :) Shall trawl your t-blog :D

Nah, not that attentive to the finest detail, just anal! Hahaha :P I hope the time to sit back and relax comes soon! Now it's just sitting back amongst the mess :bleah:

All the best with your renovation!

Shall feature certain areas along the way, while we're still giving the place a little more character.

Our bathrooms were undergoing HDB upgrading when we were in the process of buying the place. Upgrading works were completed a month before we got the keys. Like all new HDBs, the upgrading meant we couldn't rework the bathrooms without voiding the 3-year warranty covered by HDB. We took a while to decide, and went with not hacking the bathrooms. We quite liked the baby blue+white combination, but there was an ugly strip of leaf-prints running across that we would prefer removed. Most IDs told us they couldn't do it without affecting the tiles around the strip, 1 ID said they could "try", but eventually chickened out and said they couldn't. The ID we finally settled on said, "Oh sure that's quite easy." Haha :P

image-84.jpg

The end product, with the white mosaic tiles we chose to replace the leaf-prints. The white mosaics make me happy :)

Also, kudos to our ID for paying attention to the details we forgot, like where we would place our shower bottles. We didn't hack the bathroom tiles, so doing a "hole in the wall" for the bottles (which seems like a popular choice now) didn't occur to us. Our ID suggested a concrete ledge, tiled with the same tiles as the ones HDB used.

We're loving it so far! :D

Your ID is quite thoughtful! And he/she managed to source for the same blue tiles for the ledge! Out of curiosity, how much would it cost roughly to do this ledge? We haven't figured out how to put our shampoo/shower gels still.

Your ID is quite thoughtful! And he/she managed to source for the same blue tiles for the ledge! Out of curiosity, how much would it cost roughly to do this ledge? We haven't figured out how to put our shampoo/shower gels still.

He & She, hahaha. Yeah, they went to ask the HDB contractor, but HDB contractors apparently charge you exorbitant amounts when actually they provided it for dirt cheap under HDB. So the IDs found a cheaper source who had similar tiles. I don't really remember how much the ledges cost, but I remember it was quite cheap in the scheme of things (probably under $100). Our ID passed us the receipt from the tile shop for the tiles, so we paid them whatever the receipt quoted.

Love your Reno. Your house is full of character and reminds me of those arty artsy galleries. Can see all your furniture pieces are chosen with great deal of thought and passion. Not like the conventional modern or minimalist style. Nice nice. :good: