Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kooky

Veneer Vs Laminate Materials

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

difficult to justify which is better material because there are some ppl who like veneer and others who like laminate, really depends on your preference. Price wise, u are looking around 30-40% difference, veneer cheaper than laminate.

May I have some advice, of these 2 which is of better type of material? And what is the price like?

Thank you.

Veneer gives you a natural, softer, posher finish because it is made from natural wood (a thin slice) after all. More prone to scratches and higher maintenance...

It is of course more expensive than laminate, but it is great to deploy for the Living Room area.

Enjoy!

Hi Sir,

As per your topic. Different type of materials you use is very dependent on how you intend to use your floor for which purposes.

Frankly speaking Laminate flooring has its pros and cons.

Pros

-Cheap

-Easy on the touch during cold days (keep you warm)/ hot days (keep you cool)

-Beautifying effect to the room/house

-Water/scratch resistance (Depends on the brand you chose)

Cons

-Need to maintain (dry mopping and cleaning)

-Expansion and Contraction of the flooring causing it to wrap/bloat

-Lots of water on wood issues.

When you mentioned veneer materials you should be referring to engineering flooring ?

It’s a layer of real wood (veneer) which is laid on the top layer. Basically you are walking on real wood.

It has very strong properties such as water/scratch resistance much better than most laminate.

However its very costly. Sad to say not environmentally friendly and they tough to maintain

However if you wish to know more about one more type of ‘wood’ laminate flooring. which i am supplying. It has the following properties

And yet affordable and easy for your wallet. You can PM me. The properties of this flooring

-Waterproof (can even be installed in bath and wet areas. You can mop like normal H tiles )

-Almost zero expansion.

-100% waterproof

-high scratch resistance

-Totally environment friendly (100 % recycled, environmentally friendly)

-Easy replacement of the flooring if you happen to damage it your own . (You can even do it yourself as its too easy. To change the damage pcs. Even if its in the the centre of the room)

Actually I strongly recommend this flooring as its very environmental friendly and it saves tress.

Kooky,

I was looking at laminate flooring previously but eventually i took up Vinyl flooring, and i believe 'Newbie' also referring to vinyl flooring after reading the long sales speech that was posted this morning.

Both my wife and i were impressed with the beautiful wood grain that was provided by the vinyl flooring and the ability to withstand water is simply a thumbs up choice.

We took up the 'Galaxy Flooring' for the whole house and even kitchen for our resale HDB in Punggol. During our house warming, everybody was impressed with the flooring especially the one at kitchen.

I think 'Galaxy Flooring' are active on facebook and you may want to contact them for further advice. Let me know if you need me to PM you the contact.

Hi Sir,

Nope We have vinyl flooring. But thats a very old product. It also has the properties i have mentioned. But ultimately the 'feel' is very different with vinyl vs wood. Our new product is entirely new in the market. You can visit our showroom or our facebook to take a look.

https://www.facebook.com/magofloor.

Out of curiosity, what about Homogenious tiles Vs Vinyl???

i heard that the later will eventually fade and lost its shine and thats it....is this true???

Yes sir,

You are very right. That's why I don't recommend any high gloss or shiny surface when you use laminate or vinyl flooring at home.

Technically, shiny flooring for vinyl or laminate needs to be coated with a chemical called aluminum oxide to gain shine and gloss. However the resistance to scratch will be compromise too. Since the protective coat needed to prevent scratch has to share space for aluminum oxide .

However to be frank if you don't expose your vinyl floor to direct sun light . Everything will be fine. Some of the Manufracters come with uv protection coating so indirect light is fine. That's why you don't see vinyl flooring outdoors.

But to be fair to vinyl flooring I have to say that h tiles will lose its brightness if you don't maintain it well either ( scratch or dirt or never clean ) but h tiles is easier to maintain.

Vinyl flooring has evolved to included wood grain design over the years. It's pretty cheap in the market . But actually you still will not get the feel of real wood flooring after all. As its still a thin slice of vinyl as compared to laminate it's different

Yes sir,

You are very right. That's why I don't recommend any high gloss or shiny surface when you use laminate or vinyl flooring at home.

Technically, shiny flooring for vinyl or laminate needs to be coated with a chemical called aluminum oxide to gain shine and gloss. However the resistance to scratch will be compromise too. Since the protective coat needed to prevent scratch has to share space for aluminum oxide .

However to be frank if you don't expose your vinyl floor to direct sun light . Everything will be fine. Some of the Manufracters come with uv protection coating so indirect light is fine. That's why you don't see vinyl flooring outdoors.

But to be fair to vinyl flooring I have to say that h tiles will lose its brightness if you don't maintain it well either ( scratch or dirt or never clean ) but h tiles is easier to maintain.

Vinyl flooring has evolved to included wood grain design over the years. It's pretty cheap in the market . But actually you still will not get the feel of real wood flooring after all. As its still a thin slice of vinyl as compared to laminate it's different

Thanks for the informative information.