Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lancified

Our Cosy Hideout!

Hi everyone,

While waiting for my wife to wake up and go collect our kitchen sink and all other toilet accessories, I thought that I should share a little on how I saved on my toilet accessories. This is no joke, my toilet accessories should have easily cost over $2k but i'm really glad that after studying and understanding how the industry work, I managed to cut all the unnecessary middle man and got them for cheap!

I have surveyed all shops in SG, from balestier stretch to jalan besar, to even those shops that my ID recommend, say got special discount... basically, it's all a major scam. I understand that in SG, rental is expensive, manpower is expensive, taxes are heavy. I also understand that businesses must earn to survive. But take a look at the prices of the things i bought:

Kitchen sink 45cm x 45cm x 20cm (this is thick metal, not those that will warp and change shape after u pour boiling water)

ksslsr4545ss1.th.jpg

The best price is saw after walking balestier = SGD$599. Price that I bought it for = $210.

Kitchen faucet/tap (stainless steel, with mixer and pull out)

kitchentap.th.jpg

Best price in SG saw at jalan besar = $190. I paid $70.

Basin and tap for wife's vainity counter (basin is 50cm x 36cm, tap is 31cm high stainless steel)

bafsb5036w1024x768.th.jpg

kstgb218300186x300.th.jpg

We only saw the price of the basin, and we were so disgusted we don't even looked for the tap. SG price $380

My price for basin+tap+pop up drain pipe (stainless steel also!) = $150

Not to mention heaters, mirror cabinet, bidet sprays, stainless steel glass shelving for toilets, kitchen counter rails. I spent less than $700 when I could have easily exceeded $2k. I bought all my stuff from different retailers and some from online.

The items are all made overseas, but sometimes u see different brands on them even though they look the same. This is called OEM. the factory produces the design, the retailer buys them in bulk and and stamps their "italian branding" on it. If you go to balestier, u see many shops advertising made in italy/germany and all the crap. All rubbish. Do they think we were born yesterday? It's like putting a BMW logo on a proton and advertised it as made in germany.

I'll gladly share all my contacts, please PM me if you guys need them.

Hi, dont mind share contacts? Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Where can we read/know whether the thickness is at least 0.08mm?

Is it the gauge?or...?

BTW guys,

when you buy your kitchen sink, make sure the metal thickness is at least 0.8MM or above. anything below that, will have chance of cracking when u pour boiling water into it. The sink i bought is 1.2mm thickness.

Where can we read/know whether the thickness is at least 0.08mm?

Is it the gauge?or...?

Normally, the product spec should show advertise the thickness.

If it doesn't show, or u need to reconfirm the thickness, the most accurate way is to use a vernier caliper. hey hey lucky i was a good student up to secondary 2 lol.

Or else, if the tool is not available to you, u can "guess-timate" by using an iron nail/5 cent coin, by performing the finger test, or by using your hands.

Using nail/5cent coin:

- the sink must be suspended in mid air via the edges; the bottom of the sink should not be touching anything.

- drop the nail/5-cent coin from about 1/2 arm's length to the bottom of the sink.

- listen the to vibration it produce. if vibrations are present, high chance that the thickness is way too thin (0.1mm - 0.3mm).

Doing the finger test:

- locate the weakest point in the sink. Usually it will be bottom of the sink in between the wall and the sink hole.

- for small sinks, the weakness link is usually the outer edge wall.

- using your thumb or index finger (whichever is stronger, for me is my middle finger :sport-smiley-003:), push the point with one arm's strength.

- take note if the metal sinks in easily. if yes, it shows that the metal is a poor material and is very prone to expansion/contraction and thus will fall to metal fatigue VERY easily. metal fatigue is a term to describe metals breaking due to stress over time. I learnt that from discovery channel LOL

Hands method (ladies don't try this unless u are a fitness trainer)

- take out the sink from the enclosure

- hold the sink at both corners (ie top left corner and bottom right corner)

- make sure the sales person is distracted - this is a job for the wife

- TWIST IT!

- gauge the metal flex. If too much flex, it means the metal is not rigid and is too malleable - very easy to change shape.

However, you are not going to cook much, just go for the one you like :)

lancified.

Your T-blog is really useful! especially for a total newbie like me!

Thanks for sharing and I'll be following your blog real close! ;)

Thank you! It's good to share so that unscrupulous retailers/IDs/contractors cannot hold us mercy.

Many times we get too overly headed with our reno that we don't see the predators behind us chewing away at our tails.

Hi, you've provided some very good reads! Can you pm me the contacts for your kitchen furnishings? We are only looking to do up our kitchen as we bought a resale flat. thanks!

:sport-smiley-004: i can feel the excitement from u... Cant wait to see the doors u bought.... :dribble:

All PMs sent!

I'm too excited I can work properly, every 10mins look at renotalk!

my doors are arriving today!

Edited by Sygnur

Hi everyone,

While waiting for my wife to wake up and go collect our kitchen sink and all other toilet accessories, I thought that I should share a little on how I saved on my toilet accessories. This is no joke, my toilet accessories should have easily cost over $2k but i'm really glad that after studying and understanding how the industry work, I managed to cut all the unnecessary middle man and got them for cheap!

I have surveyed all shops in SG, from balestier stretch to jalan besar, to even those shops that my ID recommend, say got special discount... basically, it's all a major scam. I understand that in SG, rental is expensive, manpower is expensive, taxes are heavy. I also understand that businesses must earn to survive. But take a look at the prices of the things i bought:

Kitchen sink 45cm x 45cm x 20cm (this is thick metal, not those that will warp and change shape after u pour boiling water)

ksslsr4545ss1.th.jpg

The best price is saw after walking balestier = SGD$599. Price that I bought it for = $210.

Kitchen faucet/tap (stainless steel, with mixer and pull out)

kitchentap.th.jpg

Best price in SG saw at jalan besar = $190. I paid $70.

Basin and tap for wife's vainity counter (basin is 50cm x 36cm, tap is 31cm high stainless steel)

bafsb5036w1024x768.th.jpg

kstgb218300186x300.th.jpg

We only saw the price of the basin, and we were so disgusted we don't even looked for the tap. SG price $380

My price for basin+tap+pop up drain pipe (stainless steel also!) = $150

Not to mention heaters, mirror cabinet, bidet sprays, stainless steel glass shelving for toilets, kitchen counter rails. I spent less than $700 when I could have easily exceeded $2k. I bought all my stuff from different retailers and some from online.

The items are all made overseas, but sometimes u see different brands on them even though they look the same. This is called OEM. the factory produces the design, the retailer buys them in bulk and and stamps their "italian branding" on it. If you go to balestier, u see many shops advertising made in italy/germany and all the crap. All rubbish. Do they think we were born yesterday? It's like putting a BMW logo on a proton and advertised it as made in germany.

I'll gladly share all my contacts, please PM me if you guys need them.

Dear lancified,

Sorry to bother you, can fwd me yr kitchen contacts?

Thks in advance

Hi lance,

Thanks for your sharing. I learnt and enjoyed a great deal on your sharing. Possible to share your contacts on your accessories and aircon details? Thank you!

Regards,

Lawrence

Have subscribed to your informative t-blog. Looking forward to more updates! :sport-smiley-004:

Btw, can PM me the contacts to buy sinks/tap etc? And also that of your ID. Thanks in advance.