Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lancified

Our Cosy Hideout!

i just wanted to say thank you for your informative posts, especially around the carpentry bit. :good: good to see that ur reno is going well !

too bad i have already picked my a/c and bathroom stuff before i came across your post. :rolleyes: for those of you like me, who don't have a car and cannot go across to JB to buy stuff, having combed jln besar and balestier (and ubi etc etc), the cheapest place in SG to get ur bathroom stuff is really royal fanco at jln besar. none of the other places' prices come close, imo. the only problem is you end up ordering off a catalog most times so this means, do ur homework and "tour" the other places like hoe kee etc first, then go down and order. :sport-smiley-018:

i think another point that u made is very true - time to do homework. my ID told me that what i did with him over the space of about a month (and that's only for design), most ppl do within 2-3 weeks, including buying all the sanitarywares etc. i had the luxury of using about 3-4 mths to talk to my ID, shop around for everything (u had like a year ! :jawdrop: ) - this is not something everyone will have.

so to echo ur advice, i would really advise everyone to set aside at least about 2-3 weekends (more if u're not the decisive type) to really shop around and check out the various places in SG. at least picking out the various items will not be a rushed decision and there will be less stuff to regret later on. :D

If don't have personal car, what my friend did was to "hire a car out" from JB to singapore. So he went in taking bus, and came out taking car. It's $80 per way if Im not wrong. I think $80 is very addordable given that you can easily save hundreds.

Yea I've planned my reno myself, and factor in buffers for mis-timings/wrong delivery. Because I used to be a project manager myself, it is very easy for me to manage my ID, my shopping as well as payment schedules. Everything was planned in a manner where only we can hold the ID at knife point without being overly critical. This way, even if my ID go bankrupt, my reno will be delayed, but not destroyed along with my wallet.

As long as you manage your expectations, it should be a very smooth reno :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

We also going to buy this kind of blind in white color .. Hope the end result turn out good ~

As long as the wall around the blinds are of a different colour, it will look good! I'll show u my pictures once they are up

More carpentry updates

Cooker on granite top

20121120125305.th.jpg

Mini island for built in oven

20121120125311.th.jpg

My strong and classy sink

20121120125252.th.jpg

Handles have arrived!

20121120125326.th.jpg

Edited by lancified

Hi Lancified,

I'm goin to do Reno soon. Could you please share your contacts with me? For bathroom/kitchen accessories and Aircon, etc. many thanks ya!

After reading about your journey in getting the bathroom accessories, I totally agree that we can settle all these at a cost lower than $2k.

My ID also recommend me to some shops n the cost was ard $2k!! After spending a bomb on lightings (also about $2k), we decided to cut our budget for toilet stuff. Can u imagine e shock when we found out that we almost kena " carrot chopped"?

Can kindly share with me the contacts for the toilet accessories? Cos now our carpentry work & lightings has already burst our budget, hoping to save as much cost as possible, thanks!

Also like to contribute some contacts as well, may be repetitive thou :P

Kong Tai, Best Denki & Gain City (for electrical appliances)

Gain city (air con - the trunking was done really well)

Kim curtain (JB company, email to : kimcurtain@hotmail.con for quotation)

I have personally experienced talking to them & getting quotes & made some purchase as well:)

After reading about your journey in getting the bathroom accessories, I totally agree that we can settle all these at a cost lower than $2k.

My ID also recommend me to some shops n the cost was ard $2k!! After spending a bomb on lightings (also about $2k), we decided to cut our budget for toilet stuff. Can u imagine e shock when we found out that we almost kena " carrot chopped"?

Can kindly share with me the contacts for the toilet accessories? Cos now our carpentry work & lightings has already burst our budget, hoping to save as much cost as possible, thanks!

Also like to contribute some contacts as well, may be repetitive thou :P

Kong Tai, Best Denki & Gain City (for electrical appliances)

Gain city (air con - the trunking was done really well)

Kim curtain (JB company, email to : kimcurtain@hotmail.con for quotation)

I have personally experienced talking to them & getting quotes & made some purchase as well:)

Personally, I do not recommend any of the big players like GC and BK. Look at their big and nice shop area, with sales people everywhere. To me thats additional expenses to be paid by the customer. If you have done your necessary homework, there is no need to go to them to see the item / test test feel feel / listen to sales people explaination/recommendation.

1 year ago, based on friends recommendations, i tried going to courts, GC, BK and HM to look for suitable home appliances. I hear salesman A saying product A is better than the rest, but salesman B says product B is the best. The same goes for salesman C and D, only say their's is the best and everything else sucks. Used to have a friend working in HM as a manager, and he tells me that the salesman will push the product that has the most commission, regardless of functionality. Ever since I don't patronize such big players anymore.

I only buy electronics from the small players like EJ, U**lite, GAB and the sorts. I always do my homework beforehand. Here's an example of how I buy something:

Me: Hi, this model fridge and that brand washing machine how much?

shop: checking... $1000 and $300. free rice cooker.

Me: Gimme your lowest, I already know the prices from other shops. If yours is the lowest, I will pay full now, I have the cash in my pocket, steady one.

shop: Ok swee, Cash now, $969 and $270. Still have free rice cooker.

Me: DEAL! ON U NOW! *takes out cash*

I bought all my home appliances chop chop de, so fast that summon auntie dont even have time to summon me for not putting coupon. lol... everyone loves a quick deal. Earn $100 within 5 mins is better than earning $150 within hours/days. If u go to any shop and ask questions from a to z, be prepared to pay more for their time/effort/saliva to explain to u.

Anyway just sharing. Will PM u my contacts for bathroom and kitchen stuff.

Edited by lancified

Thanks lancified, got your PM:)

True, I do feel smaller shops like GAB have cheaper prices but have to really do homework. I tried asking for some items before & I must say some are cheaper than what we can find at the major stores.

Heh, but for ppl who prefer one-stop can go to GC, HN etc. They usually can give better rates when u buy more items. GC, HN usually have more stocks & variety & have interest free installments which some may prefer :)

Variety, I think every shop is the same since they get from the same distributors. It's more of a display space issue, small shops cannot display most of their products due to the lack of space.

For my own experience of buying in bulk, I had to buy 8 LCD TVs for my ex-company. So I did my homework and went to big players (wanted to swipe my own card and claim back from company so that I can earn reward points) and told them I'm buying 8 TVs one shot, full payment immediately. Straightaway the sales guy tried to persuade me to take another model. Feeling pissed, I told him either to give me his best price on the unit I wanted, or I walk away. He gave me a price that is lower than their retail price, but same price as what the small shops offered me for 1 TV. BTW, for the small shops, u have to go down in person for the best price. To protect their own interests, they will never tell u the best price over the phone unless u are a regular customer. This is to prevent competitors from doing price checks.

I walked out, called the small shop and asked whats the price for 8 TVs. Immediately they offered me 20% off. I drove down, handover cheque and all 8 TVs delivered within 2 days. Save time and money!

Have to agree on the installment plans, only the big boys offer such options.

Enjoy your reno!

Hi everyone,

While waiting for my wife to wake up and go collect our kitchen sink and all other toilet accessories, I thought that I should share a little on how I saved on my toilet accessories. This is no joke, my toilet accessories should have easily cost over $2k but i'm really glad that after studying and understanding how the industry work, I managed to cut all the unnecessary middle man and got them for cheap!

I have surveyed all shops in SG, from balestier stretch to jalan besar, to even those shops that my ID recommend, say got special discount... basically, it's all a major scam. I understand that in SG, rental is expensive, manpower is expensive, taxes are heavy. I also understand that businesses must earn to survive. But take a look at the prices of the things i bought:

Kitchen sink 45cm x 45cm x 20cm (this is thick metal, not those that will warp and change shape after u pour boiling water)

ksslsr4545ss1.th.jpg

The best price is saw after walking balestier = SGD$599. Price that I bought it for = $210.

Kitchen faucet/tap (stainless steel, with mixer and pull out)

kitchentap.th.jpg

Best price in SG saw at jalan besar = $190. I paid $70.

Basin and tap for wife's vainity counter (basin is 50cm x 36cm, tap is 31cm high stainless steel)

bafsb5036w1024x768.th.jpg

kstgb218300186x300.th.jpg

We only saw the price of the basin, and we were so disgusted we don't even looked for the tap. SG price $380

My price for basin+tap+pop up drain pipe (stainless steel also!) = $150

Not to mention heaters, mirror cabinet, bidet sprays, stainless steel glass shelving for toilets, kitchen counter rails. I spent less than $700 when I could have easily exceeded $2k. I bought all my stuff from different retailers and some from online.

The items are all made overseas, but sometimes u see different brands on them even though they look the same. This is called OEM. the factory produces the design, the retailer buys them in bulk and and stamps their "italian branding" on it. If you go to balestier, u see many shops advertising made in italy/germany and all the crap. All rubbish. Do they think we were born yesterday? It's like putting a BMW logo on a proton and advertised it as made in germany.

I'll gladly share all my contacts, please PM me if you guys need them.

hi,

Mind sharing ur contact? I am in the mist of doing my shopping as well.

Thanks!!

Personally, I do not recommend any of the big players like GC and BK. Look at their big and nice shop area, with sales people everywhere. To me thats additional expenses to be paid by the customer. If you have done your necessary homework, there is no need to go to them to see the item / test test feel feel / listen to sales people explaination/recommendation.

1 year ago, based on friends recommendations, i tried going to courts, GC, BK and HM to look for suitable home appliances. I hear salesman A saying product A is better than the rest, but salesman B says product B is the best. The same goes for salesman C and D, only say their's is the best and everything else sucks. Used to have a friend working in HM as a manager, and he tells me that the salesman will push the product that has the most commission, regardless of functionality. Ever since I don't patronize such big players anymore.

I only buy electronics from the small players like EJ, U**lite, GAB and the sorts. I always do my homework beforehand. Here's an example of how I buy something:

Me: Hi, this model fridge and that brand washing machine how much?

shop: checking... $1000 and $300. free rice cooker.

Me: Gimme your lowest, I already know the prices from other shops. If yours is the lowest, I will pay full now, I have the cash in my pocket, steady one.

shop: Ok swee, Cash now, $969 and $270. Still have free rice cooker.

Me: DEAL! ON U NOW! *takes out cash*

I bought all my home appliances chop chop de, so fast that summon auntie dont even have time to summon me for not putting coupon. lol... everyone loves a quick deal. Earn $100 within 5 mins is better than earning $150 within hours/days. If u go to any shop and ask questions from a to z, be prepared to pay more for their time/effort/saliva to explain to u.

Anyway just sharing. Will PM u my contacts for bathroom and kitchen stuff.

Agree. We were almost convinced to buy the Mitsubitshi Folio fridge at over 3k after the friendly salesperson walked us through all the fridges in the store until I got the guy's name card and he's the direct salesperson for folio fridges!

The iron's a pretty good deal!

Well, I have to say I'm glad I did some homework & got some of my kitchen & electrical stuff from e neighbourhood shops.

Now eyeing a 47" Phillips LED TV. Was @ $1799 about 1 mth back & recently GC selling at $1499! Still feel that its too out of my budget. Hoping that sitex will be a fruitful trip this weekend!