Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bleucheeze

When Industrial Meets Mid Century Mod

=( serious? i'm doing white too leh...

Yah, I have all white too, with a few wood-grained ones. Hope my whites will last me a while... My ID said to choose thicker laminates do they don't warp as easily over time. I only looked at Admira and Jennings and I picked the Jennings glossy white (2 mm thick).

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I am thinking of ways to dress up that vertical beam/post on the right side. Quite weird to leave it on its own, no?

Perhaps can increase the width of it, like build a joining extension to its left. So my island will span across the entire length of the space. Then dress up the post with some cooking related art prints? Or fix this Lack wall shelf and display some cooking related vintage items on it? I have already collected a few pieces!

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/90171361/#/50171363

And for my island side facing outside/ dining area, should I go with the same laminate as the rest of the kitchen bottom cabinet? Or lay tiles on it? Either peranakan tiles (same as my kitchen floor tile), white subway tiles (same as my backsplash/wall tiles) or 10x10cm white square tiles (same tile as my kitchen bottom cabinet base)?

If you're someone who collects teacups and such like me, then I think it's a good idea to have something like the Lack shelf to display them. You and your guests will be able to admire them!

As for your island facing the dining area, I personally like tiles. But the most important thing is to choose something that will blend in with your dining area furnishings/colour scheme.

If you're someone who collects teacups and such like me, then I think it's a good idea to have something like the Lack shelf to display them. You and your guests will be able to admire them!

As for your island facing the dining area, I personally like tiles. But the most important thing is to choose something that will blend in with your dining area furnishings/colour scheme.

Hmm... My dining table n bench are made of teak wood. Opposite the dining area I will have 2 teak book shelves too. If I choose wood laminate for the island facing dining table, no doubt it will blend in, but will it be too "woody"? That's my concern la. If I choose white subway tiles or white square tiles, together with white solid top, it will form a seamless white "frame" when viewed from the dining area :dunno:

If it is a lighter or different shade of wood laminate, then I think it is ok? Cos if the island has white base & white surface top, would it be too white? Unless you 'break' the whiteness with accessories at the base with hand towel racks etc?

If it is a lighter or different shade of wood laminate, then I think it is ok? Cos if the island has white base & white surface top, would it be too white? Unless you 'break' the whiteness with accessories at the base with hand towel racks etc?

Hmm... but there will be things (some with colours) placed on top of the island mah. A red nespresso, toaster, breadmaker, hopefully a Kitchen Aid in the future... I think too many things liao.. hurhur :P

Hmm... but there will be things (some with colours) placed on top of the island mah. A red nespresso, toaster, breadmaker, hopefully a Kitchen Aid in the future... I think too many things liao.. hurhur :P

Oh get a matching red toaster like those from Kenwood & a red Kitchen Aid! Then against the white, we see bursts of red!

Oh get a matching red toaster like those from Kenwood & a red Kitchen Aid! Then against the white, we see bursts of red!

:dancingqueen: nice nice!! red and white special.

but must be discipline lo.. buy other things must keep in cupboard. i think maintenance is the difficult part. for me at least.

:dancingqueen: nice nice!! red and white special.

but must be discipline lo.. buy other things must keep in cupboard. i think maintenance is the difficult part. for me at least.

I think Z3phy is right, very hard to be disciplined! I can't imagine keeping the island clutter free :bangwall:

Haha usually we are the most disciplined when we have friends coming over. So organise more parties and then discipline will naturally set in Lol

Ok, my contractor checked and reverted. So that vertical "beam" are actually not structural, but they do support the false ceiling. So if we wanna hack it, have to remove the false ceiling AND aircon.

If we hack them, especially after the right one is gone, i think this adds more "openess" to the kitchen? My kitchen peranakan tile will be visible from the dining area too! In the first place, I want to dismantle kitchen door and change the kitchen entrance position because I'd like more open-ness in the otherwise tiny kitchen.

Should we hack or not hack? :dunno:

If we don't hack it, I will extend width of the vertical beam and build my island length to join it. If so, should I use the Peranakan tiles on the exterior of the island facing the dining room? Not sure if it will look weird or not .. hmmm... Otherwise I may use white subway tiles or white 10x10 tiles. I not very keen on wood laminate cos i think it is quite hard to find one of a similar wood grain and colour as my teak table.

Need to make this decision asap! :bangwall:

Edited by bleucheeze

Ok, my contractor checked and reverted. So that vertical "beam" are actually not structural, but they do support the false ceiling. So if we wanna hack it, have to remove the false ceiling AND aircon.

If we hack them, especially after the right one is gone, i think this adds more "openess" to the kitchen? My kitchen peranakan tile will be visible from the dining area too! In the first place, I want to dismantle kitchen door and change the kitchen entrance position because I'd like more open-ness in the otherwise tiny kitchen.

Should we hack or not hack? :dunno:

If we don't hack it, I will extend width of the vertical beam and build my island length to join it. If so, should I use the Peranakan tiles on the exterior of the island facing the dining room? Not sure if it will look weird or not .. hmmm... Otherwise I may use white subway tiles or white 10x10 tiles. I not very keen on wood laminate cos i think it is quite hard to find one of a similar wood grain and colour as my teak table.

Need to make this decision asap! :bangwall:

IMHO, I would choose to hack to make the space more spacious and airy, not to mention that your nice peranakan tiles can be admired from the dining area too!

But if you choose to retain that wall, I think maybe white tiles on your island may be easier to coordinate with your furnishings. I have all white kitchen island and solid top and it looks fine to me. Or, if you can find a much smaller version of the peranakan tiles, maybe you can intersperse with white tiles so it's not too plain and at the same time incorporates your kitchen theme. Agree that wood laminates may be too "woody".

You know what you like best so I'm sure no matter what you end up deciding to do will be great!

Sigh, I miss my Kitchen Aid... Used to have a pistachio green one that's cute and retro-looking but left it with my sister when I came back. I considered buying another one in Singapore but the price is grossly marked up here!

I prefer solid wood flooring any time, but well, trying ways to cut down my reno cost :jail:

Having said that, just ordered bookshelves and bed frame today! Must thank jasdy for the lead, I managed to snag two teak bookshelves for the price of one! :jammin:

scanteakbookshelf80cm.jpgscanteakparantbed.jpg