Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
clouds00007

Our Open Concept Mini Jumbo

You MADE those cages yourself?! ****....was hoping they were purchased...do share the making process if you can...they look great! Or maybe share where you got the material, and a close up shot of how you attached it? I am really keen to try!

Hi Vanessa,

As requested, I hope the information would be enough for you.

Just go to any of the Hardware shops, for me, I went to this hardware shop at my void deck, those old school type.. and I asked for wire mesh.

Normally, they charge by per feet. The wire mesh itself is already 3 feet in height, so u just have to buy the required length you need. If you plan ahead on how much you need, you can reduce material wastage.

I paid $2 per feet, so anything more than that would be expensive.. if you can get it cheaper, that would be the best.

569AC1C0-592F-44C0-A67E-DDF8CC160C32-537

This is a cutting layout which i think would better explained how it should be done.

Basically, 1 square on the mesh is like 1/2" so you can either count the squares or measure using a measuring tape. (FYI 1" = 25.4mm) All units indicated are the number of Squares.. but you would have to adjust accordingly based on your pot size.

Height of "A" is the Hooking end of the finished product while Height of "B" is the thickness of the rail which it will be hook on.

"C" & "F" is the height of your required pot, normally i would make it slightly shorter than the pot itself, it looks nicer that way.

Height of "D" is the overall diameter of your pot.

Height of "E" & "G" should be the same as "C" & F", while the Span of "E" & "G" is the same as Height of "D" (^_^ i know i have a different number written there.. )

The 30 Sq Box indication is the total length when my pot are placed next to each other. (Do factor in extra if you want some gap between your pots for brushy plants)

The 44 Sq Box x 23 Sq Box indication is the total size i have to cut out.

Normally the first would looks a little weird, but it gets better with your second one.

Here is a sample of the cut out mesh based on the cutting layout and the cutter i used to cut it. (be careful, as the cut ends of the mesh might be quite sharp)

725B3182-20CB-44ED-B16A-62A8D5CE3724-482

The image below will show the fold-up sides of "E" & "G". Normally when i cut, i will cut in a way that i have fold the sharp points onto the adjacent sides using a long nose pilers. This will tie the entire mesh cage into its required shape. But normally i will also use those metal wires (for gardening and tying of wires) and wrapped around the adjacent sides to secure it. Down here you can also see that i used the same metal wire and secure "A" & "C", so that its secure the hook profile onto the rail.

A761562F-C535-4EEB-BD36-9D70324A4578-537

With that, I hope i m clear enough and the information is proven to be helpful. If there is any doubts, just ask ^_^

Oh, one word of advise, the metal wire mesh are pretty soft material, hence if you intending to hold pots which requires a bigger "D" measurements or a longer span, you might want to try one out first to make sure it can hold the weight of all your pots before "mass production".

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Thanks for sharing! It's a nice DIY wire cage which I must try to do once my place is up

Thanks for compliment ^_^

Just returning back to Renotalk for the information which i had learnt here previously.

Thanks for sharing with the renotalk community!

Are the aster and angelonia easy to grow in our climate? Looking for some easy greenery which can add nice colour

Hi - fantastic and thanks for sharing. The cages with the thick metal wires which are hanging from the balcony, (not the wire mesh), where did you buy them? Or did you make them as well?

Hi Vanessa,

As requested, I hope the information would be enough for you.

Just go to any of the Hardware shops, for me, I went to this hardware shop at my void deck, those old school type.. and I asked for wire mesh.

Normally, they charge by per feet. The wire mesh itself is already 3 feet in height, so u just have to buy the required length you need. If you plan ahead on how much you need, you can reduce material wastage.

I paid $2 per feet, so anything more than that would be expensive.. if you can get it cheaper, that would be the best.

569AC1C0-592F-44C0-A67E-DDF8CC160C32-537

This is a cutting layout which i think would better explained how it should be done.

Basically, 1 square on the mesh is like 1/2" so you can either count the squares or measure using a measuring tape. (FYI 1" = 25.4mm) All units indicated are the number of Squares.. but you would have to adjust accordingly based on your pot size.

Height of "A" is the Hooking end of the finished product while Height of "B" is the thickness of the rail which it will be hook on.

"C" & "F" is the height of your required pot, normally i would make it slightly shorter than the pot itself, it looks nicer that way.

Height of "D" is the overall diameter of your pot.

Height of "E" & "G" should be the same as "C" & F", while the Span of "E" & "G" is the same as Height of "D" (^_^ i know i have a different number written there.. )

The 30 Sq Box indication is the total length when my pot are placed next to each other. (Do factor in extra if you want some gap between your pots for brushy plants)

The 44 Sq Box x 23 Sq Box indication is the total size i have to cut out.

Normally the first would looks a little weird, but it gets better with your second one.

Here is a sample of the cut out mesh based on the cutting layout and the cutter i used to cut it. (be careful, as the cut ends of the mesh might be quite sharp)

725B3182-20CB-44ED-B16A-62A8D5CE3724-482

The image below will show the fold-up sides of "E" & "G". Normally when i cut, i will cut in a way that i have fold the sharp points onto the adjacent sides using a long nose pilers. This will tie the entire mesh cage into its required shape. But normally i will also use those metal wires (for gardening and tying of wires) and wrapped around the adjacent sides to secure it. Down here you can also see that i used the same metal wire and secure "A" & "C", so that its secure the hook profile onto the rail.

A761562F-C535-4EEB-BD36-9D70324A4578-537

With that, I hope i m clear enough and the information is proven to be helpful. If there is any doubts, just ask ^_^

Oh, one word of advise, the metal wire mesh are pretty soft material, hence if you intending to hold pots which requires a bigger "D" measurements or a longer span, you might want to try one out first to make sure it can hold the weight of all your pots before "mass production".

Thank you so much for the share! :) Looking forward to your reply to ucypmas on the thick metal wires

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the share! :) Looking forward to your reply to ucypmas on the thick metal wires

Hi Vanessa & Ucypmas,

Sorry for the late response.

Being caught up with work lately and MiL just got back to me the details of that JB nursery last night.

Here you go.

491FDC37-D8C3-495E-8541-80B31DCA3C62-262

EFF02F8E-1F6B-4D43-9A97-7EAB4AABDD18-262

For a very long time, I have being wanting to get this Twelve South Stand for my MBA. So guilty of placing it in my drawer, heating up whenever i am using it on external display.

1D5C1640-F568-4C6C-81CC-8F9BE716DBCE-262

^_^ went to pick up another 2 sets of Apple Airport Express (2nd) and finally I have wireless streaming of music thru-out the entire house, including the MBR Bath.

C80E1E29-E761-4000-949F-70064E9EB6D9-262

And I also grab one set of these Logitech Z120 Speakers for the Kitchen streaming..

038CD094-FF2F-4EB8-9914-5084D72AC110-262

Hello Clouds!

Lovely lovely home and very pretty flowers. :)

How much was your reno and how long did it take for HDB to approve the hacking? (Am gonna hack quite a bit too and am worried if it'll take too long...)

Also where did you get your tub? Still loving it?

My hb wants a tub for the master bath not sure if it can fit and also I know of more ppl getting rid of tubs than installing! :)